Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 08:45 PM

2 posts, read 4,553 times

Advertisements

Rochester, NY
Moving for work
Working in lower Manhattan

Rent
Max 2K per month, however lower is better!!
1 Bedroom

No pets
Do not care about schools

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in
Young but professional neighborhood preferred however not a deal breaker.

List three things that are important to you in order of importance. Lower crime, single ladies, night life.

I have no clue on this, please guide me! Where should I be looking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 09:04 PM

595 posts, read 676,429 times
Have you considered Manhattan? I moved there when I was 24. It was a lot of fun. If you enjoy the nightlife you will certainly enjoy not having to get back across the river to get home. I'm 36 now and living again in NJ. I have a lot of amazing memories from living there in my 20s. Sell your car, move to manhattan, enjoy your 20s!

Old 05-02-2013, 09:13 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,975,563 times
Manhattan (or Brooklyn), Hoboken, Jersey City.

Are you OK with roommate(s)?

Old 05-03-2013, 05:58 AM

208 posts, read 468,279 times
We live in Hoboken and there are a lot of apartments in that price range. You might have an older home with a walk up. Parking will be a problem. Manhattan is nice, but if you want to be able to drive anywhere, parking is every WORSE in manhattan. Jersey City is nice too, not as much of a 'night life' and Manhattan and Hoboken - but I don't live there so I might be wrong.

I can speak a little bit for Hoboken - they have a lot of young adult leagues that you will find a lot of you professionals. I think there is a kickball league (or some sort of sports), I might be joining the Pool League (wednesdays nights) and there is a Dart league as well (Tuesday nights), I'm not sure if there are more. This sunday is the Hoboken Music and Arts festival. They have it twice a year and a few other festivals.

The Path will be very easy to get into Lower Manhattan.

HTH.

Old 05-03-2013, 06:02 AM

208 posts, read 468,279 times
Craigslist seems to have a lot of listings. You can see many many apartments in one day so if you come down, book a few to look. Avoid basement apartments and even 1st floor apartments. Try to find one facing the back - garbage trucks come down the street at like 3-4am and make a racket. Closer to the path will cost you more money, but the town is tiny so it's easy to walk to most places.

Old 05-03-2013, 06:41 AM

244 posts, read 597,663 times
I second Hoboken! Lived there for 6 years in my 20's and had a blast. Eventually moved to the city but was glad I lived un Hoboken first!

Old 05-03-2013, 07:07 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,306,312 times
Move to Manhattan. Pay the extra rent. Stay south of Central Park (59th st.).

Old 05-03-2013, 09:47 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,247,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaGammaVega View Post
Rochester, NY
Moving for work
Working in lower Manhattan

Rent
Max 2K per month, however lower is better!!
1 Bedroom

No pets
Do not care about schools

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in
Young but professional neighborhood preferred however not a deal breaker.

List three things that are important to you in order of importance. Lower crime, single ladies, night life.

I have no clue on this, please guide me! Where should I be looking?
As 24 year single male. Get a roommate or roommates and live in city (Manhattan). You'll have to deal with pain of having a roommate but you'll get more space, better bang for your buck, and city life which is awesome as early 20s male.

That said, if you are more conservative type and want to start focusing on career, saving, etc. Jersey City is better bang for your buck than Hoboken. Also Jersey City is faster into WTC area with Path. If you live in NJ, you will not pay NYC income tax which is 2-4% and NY state you pay, you get credit so it basically evens out NJ state tax.

Old 05-03-2013, 11:24 AM

256 posts, read 572,712 times
I live in JC right on the border of Hoboken. I lived in NYC for three years.

If I won the lottery tomorrow I would buy a penthouse in 77 Hudson or Hudson Tea or the W. I would NEVER move back to the city.

First off, the OP will pay more income tax living in the city. He will keep more of his earnings living in DTJC or Hoboken.

Secondly, the expense of the commute is less. PATH costs less than MTA.

Thirdly, it won't be as expensive to have a car.

Fourth, Hoboken is more fun than a lot of NYC neighborhoods.

OP, you can afford a nice a place in Hoboken or JC and I'd recommend that. JC has some nightlife, mostly close to the Grove St PATH...but there is more in Hoboken, and you can still walk over from Hamilton Park or Newport, where you will get a little more space for your money than in Hoboken itself.

Old 05-03-2013, 11:40 AM

1,947 posts, read 3,320,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletKnightJet View Post
I live in JC right on the border of Hoboken. I lived in NYC for three years.

If I won the lottery tomorrow I would buy a penthouse in 77 Hudson or Hudson Tea or the W. I would NEVER move back to the city.

First off, the OP will pay more income tax living in the city. He will keep more of his earnings living in DTJC or Hoboken.

Secondly, the expense of the commute is less. PATH costs less than MTA.

Thirdly, it won't be as expensive to have a car.

Fourth, Hoboken is more fun than a lot of NYC neighborhoods.

OP, you can afford a nice a place in Hoboken or JC and I'd recommend that. JC has some nightlife, mostly close to the Grove St PATH...but there is more in Hoboken, and you can still walk over from Hamilton Park or Newport, where you will get a little more space for your money than in Hoboken itself.
I love JC! I have a very high floor with a direct view of lower Manhattan. I have only lived in JC just under a year and keep finding new things to do. Last night was my first night going to the Welcome to Zeppelin Hall Restaurant & Biergarten | Jersey City, NJ. We had a great time!

If I worked on Wall Street or dowtown, I would pick JC hands down and I would take the ferry to work even though it is more expensive then the PATH. The view is amazing and so peaceful.

The view from my condo...
Attached Thumbnails
24 yr single male working in lower Manhattan-wtc_resized.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey