Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2013, 05:33 PM

225 posts, read 721,159 times

Advertisements

Greetings,

Really like Cranford as a town, and know it has a train, but from what I can tell, one would have to take two transfers (Cranford-Newark, Newark-Secaucus, Secaucus-Hoboken) in order to get to Hoboken, and close to or over an hour which seems crazy given its proximity. Is there a better way that I can't figure out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 05:49 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,851,140 times
Theres one through train from the Raritan Valley line , theres also a few through trains via the North Jersey Coast line but the rest of the day will require a transfer... Its NJT logic it doesn't always make sense and they have a huge fetish for NYC over Urban Jersey.

5:46Am is a through train to Hoboken takes about 45mins
6:33am is a transfer at Newark to Hoboken takes about 50mins
The rest are between 50-65mins on average....

Old 05-06-2013, 06:46 PM

385 posts, read 1,175,736 times
or you could take njt to newark, transfer to path train, transfer to another path at grove to get to hoboken.

Old 05-08-2013, 12:36 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,307,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slope95 View Post
or you could take njt to newark, transfer to path train, transfer to another path at grove to get to hoboken.
Agree with this. It's just as many transfers as the route via Secaucus, but PATH trains run more frequently during rush hour, so you'll likely spend less time waiting on a platform. May or may not be faster, you'll have to give it a try.

Either way, yes it's an hour trip. Have you tried looking in Bergen or Essex Counties along the lines that have direct access to Hoboken? Get rid of those time-sucking transfers. Try Rutherford, it's maybe 15 minutes from Hoboken by train, no transfer, and it's a nice town.

Old 05-08-2013, 03:45 PM

385 posts, read 1,175,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Agree with this. It's just as many transfers as the route via Secaucus, but PATH trains run more frequently during rush hour, so you'll likely spend less time waiting on a platform. May or may not be faster, you'll have to give it a try.

Either way, yes it's an hour trip. Have you tried looking in Bergen or Essex Counties along the lines that have direct access to Hoboken? Get rid of those time-sucking transfers. Try Rutherford, it's maybe 15 minutes from Hoboken by train, no transfer, and it's a nice town.
you should look with direct hoboken train. ideas include rutherford as said here, south orange, maplewood, ridgewood, montclair and morristown.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:57 AM

1 posts, read 2,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slope95 View Post
you should look with direct hoboken train. ideas include rutherford as said here, south orange, maplewood, ridgewood, montclair and morristown.
I live in Cranford and commute to Hoboken. Pre-Sandy, I took the train. 7:21 from Cranford to Newark, giving me 3 minutes to make the lone Hoboken train. If I made it, commute was great. If I missed it, off to the PATH for a long ride. After the train went, I got a car and haven't commuted via public transport since. I agree with the above poster - if you have a choice... Maplewood is a lovely town and has direct service to both Hoboken and NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey