U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 08:06 AM

51,101 posts, read 50,392,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
When I was little my Mom bought one of those tiny books they used to sell at the supermarket check out counter, "Signs and Omens" or something. It said it was bad luck to kill a spider in your house, and it stuck for some reason. I usually catch them and take them outside.
That's what I've always heard--bad luck to kill a spider in your house. I let them live, but sometimes the cats do not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 08:21 AM

1,892 posts, read 3,697,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
PETA's Ingrid Newkirk seriously needs to get a life, instead of worrying about politicians killing insects.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
...this whole, "issue", was blown totally out of proportion...
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
...they are so ridiculous...
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorfulchic83 View Post
...PETA is making a bit too much of the situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenaperture View Post
Well done PETA, you've once again proven to be obscenely idiotic. You'd think with it being so public of what repulsive hypocrites they are (a sick majority of the healthy, adoptable animals they take into their "shelter" are killed, very few are even made available for adoption) they would keep their mouths shut on things just a little bit more?
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
PETA are just an overblown organization that borders on radical...

Hahaha, I can't disagree with any of this. However, this is exactly PETA's goal--to be ridiculous, outrageous, to blow things out of proportion, to be radical. That's the whole point: the media stunt. Media stunts are protocol and standard operating procedure. Ingrid Newkirk has stated explicitly, "We are press sluts. It is our obligation." If it were the Governor of Idaho, PETA wouldn't have deemed it a worthy enough story. But Chris Christie is high profile, so PETA jumped all over the chance to get another ridiculous PETA story out there. PETA, basically, is a TROLL. They would be pleased that there are 3 pages of posts on this forum bashing them. Because at least we're talking about them.

I agree with PETA's fundamental agenda (the ethical treatment of animals), in principle. I do care about animal testing/torture, animal cruelty in zoos & circuses, animal cruelty on factory farms, dog fighting, etc. etc. But I think the concept of "total animal liberation" is absurd. I find it hard to believe that NONE of the 300 employees working for PETA (or their children) are, or have been, on some kind of prescription medication. Hello? That medication is not possible without animal testing. I don't like PETA's tactics and I think they mostly alienate and turn people off. I don't like their hypocrisy either. Or their corruption.

As for spiders, I killed a red one in my basement just last Saturday. I didn't know that killing a spider in your house was bad luck. Oh well. I've also broken at least 2 mirrors, so I guess I'm screwed anyway.

Old 05-08-2013, 10:02 PM

11,891 posts, read 9,595,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docendo discimus View Post
Hahaha, I can't disagree with any of this. However, this is exactly PETA's goal--to be ridiculous, outrageous, to blow things out of proportion, to be radical. That's the whole point: the media stunt. Media stunts are protocol and standard operating procedure. Ingrid Newkirk has stated explicitly, "We are press sluts. It is our obligation." If it were the Governor of Idaho, PETA wouldn't have deemed it a worthy enough story. But Chris Christie is high profile, so PETA jumped all over the chance to get another ridiculous PETA story out there. PETA, basically, is a TROLL. They would be pleased that there are 3 pages of posts on this forum bashing them. Because at least we're talking about them.

I agree with PETA's fundamental agenda (the ethical treatment of animals), in principle. I do care about animal testing/torture, animal cruelty in zoos & circuses, animal cruelty on factory farms, dog fighting, etc. etc. But I think the concept of "total animal liberation" is absurd. I find it hard to believe that NONE of the 300 employees working for PETA (or their children) are, or have been, on some kind of prescription medication. Hello? That medication is not possible without animal testing. I don't like PETA's tactics and I think they mostly alienate and turn people off. I don't like their hypocrisy either. Or their corruption.

As for spiders, I killed a red one in my basement just last Saturday. I didn't know that killing a spider in your house was bad luck. Oh well. I've also broken at least 2 mirrors, so I guess I'm screwed anyway.
I don't like how they will personally attack a celebrity for wearing fur or doing something PETA is against. They are far too imposing and it's annoying.

I remember on the red carpet not too long ago, I think back in the fall, Kim Kardashian was wearing something with fur and she got flour bombed by a PETA member for it. Grow up. If she wants to wear fur, she can. If you don't agree with it, you don't have to wear fur. But you also don't have to personally attack those who do.

They will also issue public letters demanding certain celebrities apologize for wearing fur, having an animal skin bag, etc. This is the kind of stuff I really have a problem with. PETA needs to just shut up. If they don't like killing spiders, why can't they just quietly go about their lives not killing spiders like those who kill spiders, or wear fur or use animal products, quietly go about their lives doing so?

I've never met somebody who screams out to the world, "Look at me, I'm wearing fur!" like PETA members will scream out to the world, "Get her, she's wearing fur!" Sick.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:36 AM

1,892 posts, read 3,697,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I don't like how they will personally attack a celebrity for wearing fur or doing something PETA is against. They are far too imposing and it's annoying.

I remember on the red carpet not too long ago, I think back in the fall, Kim Kardashian was wearing something with fur and she got flour bombed by a PETA member for it. Grow up. If she wants to wear fur, she can. If you don't agree with it, you don't have to wear fur. But you also don't have to personally attack those who do.
Yep. Agreed. And I bet if I went through a flour bomber's house, I'd probably find something with leather, wool, silk or something that was manufactured by child labor in a sweat shop. Those people need to relearn that lesson about glass houses.

Old 05-10-2013, 04:27 AM

17,113 posts, read 14,765,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoYanks34 View Post
I was going to say the exact same thing! Now Christie will never get to the presidency - too much bad luck since you know it wasn't the first time, LOL!

I have a device called a Bug Buster - has a tiny vacuum that you suck up insects/spiders and then release them outside. It's awesome and so much better than the Solo cup and Bed Bath and Beyond coupon to cover the top!
That's awesome!

Old 05-10-2013, 06:19 AM

15,883 posts, read 10,935,732 times
It wasn't a spider!

It was a micro spy drone designed to look like a spider.

Maybe CC was demonsrtrating what NJ's state bird, the goldfinch, would naturally do if it saw a spider.

Did anyone id the late spider?

Maybe it was a brown recluse or black widow and CC desrves the accolades the newark mayor got when he pulled someone from a burning building.

CC saves children from venomous spider!!!!!!!

Old 05-10-2013, 07:22 AM

908 posts, read 1,241,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
It wasn't a spider!

It was a micro spy drone designed to look like a spider.

Maybe CC was demonsrtrating what NJ's state bird, the goldfinch, would naturally do if it saw a spider.

Did anyone id the late spider?

Maybe it was a brown recluse or black widow and CC desrves the accolades the newark mayor got when he pulled someone from a burning building.

CC saves children from venomous spider!!!!!!!
Dude, nobody here is agreeing with PETA. I think PETA really hinder the cause of treating animals ethically with things like this. Everyone seems to be in agreement, including pet owners. Nobody who is left-leaning condemned him on this thread.
I think the democrats & progressives have demonstrated well that they can be against many of Christie's policies without seeing everything he does as evil & wrong. Can't say the same for the right, especially when they railroaded President Clinton & Governor MCGreevey, forgetting all the good they had done.

Sorry, but killing a bug that you're a billion times bigger than, is not the same as running into a burning building. Booker still gets points for that!

Old 05-10-2013, 07:23 AM

908 posts, read 1,241,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoYanks34 View Post
I was going to say the exact same thing! Now Christie will never get to the presidency - too much bad luck since you know it wasn't the first time, LOL!

I have a device called a Bug Buster - has a tiny vacuum that you suck up insects/spiders and then release them outside. It's awesome and so much better than the Solo cup and Bed Bath and Beyond coupon to cover the top!
I just got my 20% Bed Bath & Beyond coupon. So getting this. Thanks for telling us about it!

Old 05-10-2013, 01:02 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,131,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Maybe CC was demonsrtrating what NJ's state bird, the goldfinch
I got this idea from the Orioles, but if North Jersey gets an in-state MLB team someday, it could be called the Newark Goldfinches. I like how the people of Maryland (even if they are Nationals fans) know what their state bird is.

Old 05-10-2013, 03:36 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,174,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorfulchic83 View Post
I just got my 20% Bed Bath & Beyond coupon. So getting this. Thanks for telling us about it!
No problem but you can only get it online as far as I know - it was around $15 with shipping. I use the Bed Bath and Beyond coupons to cover/slide under the big plastic cups when catching them before the Bug Buster came into my life.

I am one of those people that doesn't kill anything and if anyone kills something in front of me for no good reason I lose my mind. I have even caught and released wasps. It's like a disease....

But I do NOT support PETA - I used to when I was younger but once I got into the veterinary field many moons ago I realized how ridiculous they were. I remember they let loose a bunch of lab animals in the Midwest in the winter. Where is the sense in that?
1. Those animals were born and bred in a lab and will never survive in the wild
2. You have no idea what they were testing and may have inadvertently released something that could potentially be harmful to the environment, other animals or us
3. They will now need to get another batch of animals to resume testing.

All they did was delay the inevitable and they hurt those animals more than the research lab. Stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or