U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2013, 08:16 AM

25 posts, read 37,746 times

Advertisements

Would love some input as we continue our search for our next home. We have looked at many of the towns you all have suggested, and after house hunting trip last weekend, we really liked the Pequannock area. It has a lot going for it in terms of location, but not so much in price!!

Our realtor is a native of West Milford, and keeps suggesting it. There is a wonderful home there for 100k less than the one in Pequannock, and it's 35 years younger! However, we have three boys, 7, 5, and 1, and want to place a high priority on them, not just on a beautiful bigger, newer home.

Can anyone give me some thoughts on comparing the two areas? School rankings are only a starting point to understanding school climate, for instance. Am I wrong to dismiss West Milford so quickly?

Thanks for any insight you can give.... Struggling with this decision...it's obviously a big one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 09:48 AM

513 posts, read 986,148 times
Trust your instincts here. West Milford is indeed beautiful and its residents will tell you they love their community. It can be a difficult place in the winter (almost "snowbelt" area) with icy commuting issues, it's in Passaic County vs. Morris County re: county tax base, it's inconvenient to lots of places. Pequannock has a great school system, great recreation, small town feel, very convenient. The only downside to Pequannock is the flooding issue which has worsened over the past 6 years. Sometimes it will affect your commute, even if it doesn't affect your home. Good luck to you!

Old 05-08-2013, 11:34 AM

55,597 posts, read 54,202,806 times
I love West Milford. My sister lives up there, in the Hewitt section. She loves the hiking. Also, my daughter took her horseback riding lessons at a WM stable back when she was in jr. high, and we sometimes went riding at Echo Lake in the Newfoundland section of WM (WM is HUGE in area.)

Old 05-08-2013, 03:16 PM

1,496 posts, read 3,519,052 times
In my opinion, you're comparing costs in the wrong manner. Instead of thinking about the 100K price difference, consider the difference in ongoing monthly costs.

What will the difference be in your monthly mortgage payment?
How much cheaper are the property taxes in Pequannock?
How many fewer miles will be put on the car commuting? What is the cost of these miles?
What is the value of the TIME difference between a commute from West Milford vs. Pequannock?

Last edited by MaverickDD; 05-08-2013 at 03:30 PM..

Old 05-09-2013, 09:11 AM

Good points. Cranking out a spreadsheet now.

Old 05-10-2013, 02:03 PM

5,508 posts, read 6,098,530 times
I think Maverick makes some good points. I used to live in West Milford and we were happy there. My two older kids went to the schools. Not crazy about the high school but the elementary and middle schools were great. With that said, though, if we could have found an affordable house in a non flood area of Pequannock we would have preferred to live there. Also look closely at the counties. I lived in Passaic County for most of the 42 years I was in NJ. Morris County is preferable.

Old 05-11-2013, 02:22 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,606,220 times
I almost moved to West Milford, but decided it was too isolated and would take way too long to get places from. I suggest taking that into considering and maybe driving around to see how long it would take you to get to common places.

Old 05-11-2013, 03:38 PM

Thanks, we thought carefully about all these issues and now have a house under contract in a non-flood area of Pequannock! Still amazed at the real estate prices and taxes, but think we have made a good decision based on the available options! Thank you all for your input. I really appreciate it, and will try to help others as you have helped me.

Old 05-13-2013, 04:57 PM

76 posts, read 150,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
I think Maverick makes some good points. I used to live in West Milford and we were happy there. My two older kids went to the schools. Not crazy about the high school but the elementary and middle schools were great. With that said, though, if we could have found an affordable house in a non flood area of Pequannock we would have preferred to live there. Also look closely at the counties. I lived in Passaic County for most of the 42 years I was in NJ. Morris County is preferable.
Are the elementary and middle schools better in southern part of West Milford (Macopin, Upper Macopin, Newfoundland, etc)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey