Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2013, 10:27 AM

5 posts, read 12,338 times

Advertisements

Hi. I just joined and this is my first post. I just started a job in Newport, Jersey City and am commuting from the upper west side of NYC. I drive in, and the commute time (especially going home) and cost are killing me. I've decided to move to NJ in order to be closer to work. For a variety of reasons, the Hudson County towns aren't doing it for me. I've decided to look a bit farther out, concentrating on Maplewood, South/West Orange, and Montclair, and just wanted to get an idea of the drive time and traffic to and from these towns during rush hour. I need to drive in, so train/bus isn't an option. Correct me if I'm wrong but I can take 78/1-9 or 280/Turnpike from Maplewood and the Oranges to JC. It's only a roughly 15 mile commute, but how would traffic factor in during rush hour to and from on these roads? I'm also a little concerned that the Pulaski Skyway project starting next year with throw a monkey wrench into all of this. Montclair is at the bottom of my list, but I suspect it would be a slightly easier commute. Whatever advice anyone can offer would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 02:34 PM

730 posts, read 2,887,248 times
It's not going to be fun, but really depends upon what time you are going in. All the traffic is headed into NYC and that's basically the same way you are commuting. If your only option is to drive all the way to your job you are going to be suck in traffic no matter what.

I am assuming you need your car for tasks during the work day?

Old 05-22-2013, 04:08 PM

385 posts, read 1,175,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capola928 View Post
Hi. I just joined and this is my first post. I just started a job in Newport, Jersey City and am commuting from the upper west side of NYC. I drive in, and the commute time (especially going home) and cost are killing me. I've decided to move to NJ in order to be closer to work. For a variety of reasons, the Hudson County towns aren't doing it for me. I've decided to look a bit farther out, concentrating on Maplewood, South/West Orange, and Montclair, and just wanted to get an idea of the drive time and traffic to and from these towns during rush hour. I need to drive in, so train/bus isn't an option. Correct me if I'm wrong but I can take 78/1-9 or 280/Turnpike from Maplewood and the Oranges to JC. It's only a roughly 15 mile commute, but how would traffic factor in during rush hour to and from on these roads? I'm also a little concerned that the Pulaski Skyway project starting next year with throw a monkey wrench into all of this. Montclair is at the bottom of my list, but I suspect it would be a slightly easier commute. Whatever advice anyone can offer would be much appreciated.
the towns you listed would be great for taking the train and light rail, why isn't that an option? you'd just take the train to hoboken and the hblr one stop. if you must drive, you'll have a lot of traffic. montclair would be on local roads thru newark, and west orange would be on 280, the other on 78.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:02 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
Taking 280 to 7 into Jersey City isn't terrible from Essex County (though it isn't exactly fun either), but getting into Newport means mixing it up with tunnel traffic no matter how you do it.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:51 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,297,475 times
Have you tried the B/D to Herald Sq + PATH or the 2/3 to Park Place + PATH? I'd think it must be better than driving.

Maplewood, South Orange, and Montclair are nice towns. They all have train stations for NYC-bound commuters and you'll pay a premium for that. You could use those trains to commute to JC, but it doesn't seem like you're interested in doing that. Since you're not train-reliant, towns such as Verona, Mountainside, Nutley, etc. might be worth looking into. They're not cheap. You'll be paying "Nice NNJ Suburb" prices, but not "Nice NNJ Suburb with Train Station" prices. Whatever your budget is, it'll probably go farther in those towns.

Whatever town you pick, there will be traffic. There are only a few routes into JC, and those few routes are also routes to NYC. They're crowded, and you're right, the Pulaski Skyway project will throw a wrench in everything. Good luck!!!

Old 06-03-2013, 11:52 AM

478 posts, read 1,229,530 times
I would think about leaving your car at Harrison Path and taking the path. Your car wouldn't be right there, but the time you would save going all the way to Newport might offset it. If you drive during low traffic times, then, sure, take 280 or 78.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey