Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 08:35 PM

396 posts, read 707,965 times

Advertisements

Funny I know all three houses mentioned.

The one on Hartshorn Drive is lovely--it's a great street and I believe that particular house is rather close to Hartshorn Elementary which is one of the best of the best. The Knollwood house is on a fantastic location in Old Short Hills Road, it routes into Glenwood Elementary--another fabulous school. It's a Hartshorn original house so any modifications made on the outside would have to go through the town but it's a nice property. 12 The Crescent is under contract--that is a fantastic property right across the street from the train but still in a neighborhood.

It's really a great time to buy in SHs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 08:46 PM

18,453 posts, read 15,236,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanonGrace View Post

The one on Hartshorn Drive is lovely--it's a great street and I believe that particular house is rather close to Hartshorn Elementary which is one of the best of the best. The Knollwood house is on a fantastic location in Old Short Hills Road, it routes into Glenwood Elementary--another fabulous school. It's a Hartshorn original house so any modifications made on the outside would have to go through the town but it's a nice property. 12 The Crescent is under contract--that is a fantastic property right across the street from the train but still in a neighborhood.

Hartshorn drive is very pretty. A friend of mine (the one who pays $70K in property taxes) lives on Hartshorn. On the one hand, that is such a crazy number to me. On the other, 3 kids in private school would easily cost more than that, so it all depends how you look at it. From the pictures, they are all nice, but the Knollwood house suits my taste the best.

Old 05-29-2013, 04:31 AM

396 posts, read 707,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanonGrace View Post

mispoke.... its in old short hills......force of habit i added a road. its off hobart, walking distance to glenwood elementary. osh rd is across town

Old 05-29-2013, 08:51 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,664,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slope95 View Post
I just saw that house today, it would be good for them, it is right near millburn center, though it is on a busy street.
With a $2MM budget I would probably recommend staying West of the Reservation and north of the train station, IMO it's more desirable part of town than the part next to Maplewood. I'm sure most realtors familiar with the area would advise the same.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:01 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,395,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving42kids View Post
My favorite car is a taxi!

Seriously I appreciate all of the perspective here. Moving out of the city is a bit overwhelming, which is why we have put it off for so long. But now things are really getting ridiculous and we can't keep avoiding the subject forever. DH is a very involved dad, and I don't want to lose that because we make the wrong choice.
this may be more trouble than it's worth, but you could rent in Millburn for a period of time and see if you are incredibly unhappy with the DH's commute. or - he could drive in at that time of day and traffic wouldn't be that horrible. I have a friend who drives in from Morristown a few days a week because he goes incredibly early, and i think he only pays $12 to park in the lot by his office near times square (in by x, out by x type of deal).

It's just an idea. If you hate it, you can focus your search elsewhere. if you love it, you'll be right in the town you're searching to buy in...downside is having to move twice.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:58 PM

116 posts, read 218,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving42kids View Post
If we have to pay $30k in property taxes I don't particularly like it, but it still beats 2 private school tuitions or class sizes that start at 28 kids in kindergarten for the better schools in Manhattan.
Before you look in Short Hills you should see how big the class sizes are. Hartshorn and Deerfield schools are bursting at the seams. Deerfield is using trailers as classrooms at least 10 years past when they should have been demolished.

The middle school is about to pop it is so crowded and it also uses trailers as classrooms.

Old 05-29-2013, 08:26 PM

31 posts, read 35,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucylinus View Post
Before you look in Short Hills you should see how big the class sizes are. Hartshorn and Deerfield schools are bursting at the seams. Deerfield is using trailers as classrooms at least 10 years past when they should have been demolished.

The middle school is about to pop it is so crowded and it also uses trailers as classrooms.
Hmmm. That's a bit of an exaggeration.

Hartshorn has had a few bubble years where there have been class sizes of up to 25, but the incoming 1/k are smaller and classes have only rarely 23 kids except for 2 grades. Deerfield is not particularly crowded but the management of the common areas makes it seem that way. The other building stagger lunches etc.

The Middle School trailers have been there forever, and same with the ones at Glenwood.

Bottom line, performance is still high judging by results and while the town and school are wildly popular, I'd not characterize it as bursting at the seams. Certainly there is a growing population and it's a point to bring up with administrators if you visit the schools. It's a decent concern but I'd just would not call it bursting at the seams when most class sizes are anywhere from 19-25 in elementary schools.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:14 PM

385 posts, read 1,175,250 times
'With a $2MM budget I would probably recommend staying West of the Reservation and north of the train station, IMO it's more desirable part of town than the part next to Maplewood. I'm sure most realtors familiar with the area would advise the same.'

the part in millburn by maplewood is a great area (wyoming section). maybe the homes aren't as huge as short hills, but there is nothing wrong with that area. maybe it's just that there are no 2mm homes there, just 600k-1mm homes, which for m-sh is cheap.

Old 05-30-2013, 07:37 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,664,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slope95 View Post
'With a $2MM budget I would probably recommend staying West of the Reservation and north of the train station, IMO it's more desirable part of town than the part next to Maplewood. I'm sure most realtors familiar with the area would advise the same.'

the part in millburn by maplewood is a great area (wyoming section). maybe the homes aren't as huge as short hills, but there is nothing wrong with that area. maybe it's just that there are no 2mm homes there, just 600k-1mm homes, which for m-sh is cheap.
Maplewood itself is a GREAT area!!! There is nothing wrong with the "Wyoming section" either it just isn't the top of the Short Hills food chain, that's all. To your point since this couple is coming from the city they might actually prefer the Wymoing section of town since it is close to both downtown Maplewood and Downtown Millburn.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:50 AM

2,761 posts, read 3,425,413 times
Millburn/Shorthills does come to mind when I am reading what you are looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey