Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 12:44 PM

1,947 posts, read 3,322,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletKnightJet View Post
Thanks Miami.

I live in DTJC on the border of Hoboken- first renting, now owning- so that is why I combine the two.

While the demographics are different, they are not as different as people here (or who live in both) like to think. There are a lot of 20 somethings in DTJC, and plenty of families and older people in Hoboken, especially uptown Hoboken. The differences are sometimes exploited (ie, Hoboken people will say DTJC is ghetto or hipster- I guess they forget about Newport, or their own ghetto on Jackson St) OR DTJC people will say Hoboken is so fratty and commercial- don't mind the beer garden or our big box stores.) Pretty stupid if you ask me. My address says JC but I live closer to the Hoboken nightlife than lots of people who address is Hoboken.

Both are pretty naively deadpanned as fratty Hoboken or ghetto Jersey City by those on the outside who don't know.

DTJC is hardly too gentrified, however. Newark Avenue needs plenty of assistance. There are plenty of buildings, especially west of Jersey Avenue, that are totally blighted. There are spots north of the tunnel that are not so hot. Also, while most "gentrifiers" live downtown, there are plenty who don't and also, if I want to go to JSQ or West Side or whatever for some reason (mostly ethnic food but there are some OK stores and stuff elsewhere) we can easily get there on PATH or HBLR and so can anyone from Hoboken.

While I find the naysayers to be misinformed, I don't mind. I know what the values are here, and I know what the amenities are here, and so do 100,000 others and plenty more do each day. That is just fine by me.
'
Exactly! My access to the city is outstanding. I love the waterfront...Williamsburg pales in comparison. Their waterfront has not been improved with walkways and seating like in JC or Hoboken. I love Paulus Hook and watching DTJC continue to add more amenities. I amazed at the continued gentrification and look forward to more fully built out neighborhood with a vibrant nightlife.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2013, 11:20 PM

99 posts, read 477,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiLIFE View Post
If you don't make Hoboken your first option at 22 years old you should punch yourself in the face and then start your search again. Hoboken is a no-brainer, compared to Ridgewood or Hackensack. Hoboken is a thriving community filled with a bunch of people your age, lots of activities, places to eat, great access to the city. Ridgewood is families and old people. Do yourself a favor and go for a walk along the waterfront in Hoboken overlooking Manhattan on a weekday say 6:30 p.m. and watch all the people your age running and walking and sitting outside. Then, go to the duck pond in Ridgewood and go for a walk around the duck pond. After you do that, go punch yourself in the face again if you're still not sold that Hoboken is the right choice for you.
So if the OP doesn't choose Hoboken, you think she should punch herself in the face? LMFAO Hoboken and Ridgewood are not the only two municipalities to live in New Jersey. The OP also is contemplating Montclair...
Quote:
Great point and another reason the OP should be giving first consideration to Hoboken. If the OP can swing the cost of Hoboken, they will never regret that decision. It will be one of the most fun times of their life. On the otherhand, if the OP goes on the cheap, they will always look back and wonder how much fun it would've been to live in Hoboken for a couple of years.
"Fun" is a subjective noun. What one person finds to be "fun" may not necessarily the same for someone else. What do YOU find fun about Hoboken? Every new bar which opens up in Hoboken boasts "50 plasma TVs, live DJs, happy hours, no cover for ladies..." Essentially, EVERY new bar which opens in Hoboken is cookie-cutter and not unique. The old bars in Hoboken, which are typically on the numbered streets nearer to Willow Avenue, are dingy watering holes for the old-timers of the city.

At least Biergarten in JC offers a huge variety of beers and an unparalleled outdoor area.
Quote:
I live in DTJC on the border of Hoboken- first renting, now owning- so that is why I combine the two.

While I find the naysayers to be misinformed, I don't mind. I know what the values are here, and I know what the amenities are here, and so do 100,000 others and plenty more do each day. That is just fine by me.
Exactly what misinformation have the "naysayers" espoused on this thread?

As long as JC and Hoboken are right outside of New York City, the property values in both NJ cities will be huge. That isn't a secret that people are discovering each day. Because of their close proximity to NYC, public transportation (excluding taxis) will boast a quick commute and be reasonably priced. Again, another big selling point only a fool would dispute, and again, not a secret.
Quote:
My access to the city is outstanding. I love the waterfront...Williamsburg pales in comparison. Their waterfront has not been improved with walkways and seating like in JC or Hoboken. I love Paulus Hook and watching DTJC continue to add more amenities. I amazed at the continued gentrification and look forward to more fully built out neighborhood with a vibrant nightlife.
You embrace GENTRIFICATION?

GENTRIFICATION (Wikipedia) - A dynamic that emerges in poor urban areas when residential shifts, urban planning, and other phenomena affect the composition of a neighborhood.[1] Urban gentrification often involves population migration as poor residents of a neighborhood are displaced. In a community undergoing gentrification, the average income increases and average family size decreases. This generally results in the displacement of the poorer, pre-gentrification residents, who are unable to pay increased rents, and property taxes, or afford real estate.

GENTRIFICATION (Webster) - noun - the process of renewal and rebuilding accompanying the influx of middle-class or affluent people into deteriorating areas that often displaces poorer residents.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:17 AM

Choose Hoboken and you will have no regrets...it's just that simple.

Move to Ridgewood and wonder everyday of your lease why you didn't listen to MiamiLife.

Old 06-03-2013, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Choose Hoboken and you will have no regrets...it's just that simple.

Move to Ridgewood and wonder everyday of your lease why you didn't listen to MiamiLife.
It's interesting that MiamiLife hasn't refuted my fact-rooted points.

We will have to agree to disagree that entering into a lease or buying a place to live is as over-simplistic as this.

Old 06-03-2013, 01:21 PM

Hoboken comes out ranked highly for singles...stop messing around and find a place in Hoboken... Best places for the rich and single - Hoboken, NJ (2) - Money Magazine

Old 06-03-2013, 01:25 PM

256 posts, read 572,939 times
Every bar in Hoboken is cookie cutter? Really? So I guess the uptown bars with 35 year old moms are just like Bahama Mama's or the old timer places where Italian is heard more than English- and that's Hoboken, nevermind Jersey City.

Gentrification has turned around not only Hoboken and Jersey City, but also Red Bank, New Brunswick, Asbury Park...and it's not like people even 10-15 years ago were running to Montclair. This is NJ, demographics change constantly. It's certainly a double edged sword in certain cases but that people can walk from Maxwell's down to Paulus Hook with the biggest risk being a wayward brunch utensil is a positive, not a negative.

Many people in NJ like the blinders of suburbaness. That's fine. But it's silly to think that that would be preferred by a single person in their 20s.

Old 06-03-2013, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Hoboken comes out ranked highly for singles...stop messing around and find a place in Hoboken... Best places for the rich and single - Hoboken, NJ (2) - Money Magazine
That article kinda confirms what I mentioned earlier about most things in Hoboken being more expensive...
Quote:
Every bar in Hoboken is cookie cutter? Really? So I guess the uptown bars with 35 year old moms are just like Bahama Mama's or the old timer places where Italian is heard more than English- and that's Hoboken, nevermind Jersey City.
ScarletKnightJet, if you're going to reference something I say, please do us both a favor and READ WHAT I WROTE and DON'T MISQUOTE ME. It risks making us both look silly and discredits your position.

I said: "Essentially, EVERY new bar which opens in Hoboken is cookie-cutter and not unique. The old bars in Hoboken, which are typically on the numbered streets nearer to Willow Avenue, are dingy watering holes for the old-timers of the city." BTW, the bolding of text was in my original post also.

And I stand by this statement. EVERY new bar in Hoboken which has opened in the past five years boasts flat-screen TVs, ladies enter with reduced or no cover, after-work happy hours, etc. The older bars (which probably wouldn't appeal to someone in their 20s) are different and don't conform to the new norm in Hoboken, which is why when one of them gets sold, the new owners renovate it into one of the new cookie-cutter bars.
Quote:
Gentrification has turned around not only Hoboken and Jersey City, but also Red Bank, New Brunswick, Asbury Park...and it's not like people even 10-15 years ago were running to Montclair. This is NJ, demographics change constantly. It's certainly a double edged sword in certain cases but that people can walk from Maxwell's down to Paulus Hook with the biggest risk being a wayward brunch utensil is a positive, not a negative.

Many people in NJ like the blinders of suburbaness. That's fine. But it's silly to think that that would be preferred by a single person in their 20s.
Again, don't misquote me. I am not advocating the OP move into the bowels of the suburbs. I am not suggesting she find a quiet rental on a small cul-de-sac in Upper Saddle River, or a studio apartment in Bloomingdale, or even rent an entire floor of a house in front of the Ridgewood duck pond.

If it was feasible for her, I would advocate the OP to rent in Manhattan. You couldn't possibly get closer to the action than that. And there are areas there which are less costly than others. And she could definitely say that she lived an unparalleled experience because there truly is nothing like living in Manhattan. In fact, if a person could equally afford both and was choosing between Hoboken and Manhattan, they would be crazy not to choose Manhattan.

Hoboken may try to charge Manhattan prices. Hoboken may try to point eastward to the Manhattan skyline when boasting great views. Hoboken may try to party like Manhattan. Hoboken may try to dine like Manhattan. Hoboken may try to blast music from the W hotel, hoping to divert attention from people contemplating jumping the PATH to LEAVE Hoboken to go to Manhattan. Hoboken can do all that...

But Hoboken WILL NEVER be Manhattan. When Hoboken closes at 2AM, Manhattan, and all of New York State for that matter, stays open until 4AM... and usually later. When Hoboken is silent on Sunday night, Monday night, Tuesday night, and Wednesday night, Manhattan is open for business and as vibrant as ever. People have fun in Manhattan without being drunk and stupid and getting in dumb fights, as is par for the course in Hoboken.

And as people stand on the crumbling Hoboken waterfront, which is slowly sinking into the Hudson River, do they look westbound back at Hoboken or eastbound forward to Manhattan?

Even the benches constructed by the City of Hoboken along Frank Sinatra Drive are installed to look away from Hoboken

Old 06-04-2013, 07:54 AM

Question: "Working in Oradell. Want a TRENDY YOUNG town to live! Help!

Answer: HOBOKEN FTW!

ps

Ridgewood is not a young trendy town. Think anytown USA. Fine place, but not "young and trendy".

Old 06-04-2013, 12:48 PM

256 posts, read 572,939 times
I lived in Mahattan for 3 years. I have now lived in Jersey City for close to 3. Two different spots in each city.

First off, bars in Hoboken and JC close at 3. Oh no, OP will miss an hour.

Second of all, I have yet to go to one bar, I think ever, in my entire life, where women drink free or half price.

Third of all, your argument about new bars is false. Pilsner Haus is an exception, off the top of my head.

Fourth of all, I must have missed all the new Manhattan bars that DON'T have big TVs (as if that was a harbinger of things).

Fifth of all, police were called to a fight only once by a bar by where I lived. That was in Manhattan. And it was a big fight.

Sixth, perhaps check out Zillow or a rental website. You are wrong that Hoboken charges Manhattan prices. It's not cheap- but you will get more bang for your buck in Hoboken EVERY time.

You're relying on misconceptions. You clearly are unfamiliar with the area to not even know the closing time.

Typical NJ nonsense to think NYC is the be-all end-all.

Manhattan will cost more, you can't park, and if you think Hoboken has meatheads, fights, and too many happy hours...well I guess you have never been to any bars on the UWS, UES, Murray Hill, anywhere in Midtown, the financial district...

Old 06-04-2013, 02:03 PM

Quote:
I lived in Mahattan for 3 years. I have now lived in Jersey City for close to 3. Two different spots in each city.

First off, bars in Hoboken and JC close at 3. Oh no, OP will miss an hour.

Second of all, I have yet to go to one bar, I think ever, in my entire life, where women drink free or half price.

Third of all, your argument about new bars is false. Pilsner Haus is an exception, off the top of my head.

Fourth of all, I must have missed all the new Manhattan bars that DON'T have big TVs (as if that was a harbinger of things).

Fifth of all, police were called to a fight only once by a bar by where I lived. That was in Manhattan. And it was a big fight.

Sixth, perhaps check out Zillow or a rental website. You are wrong that Hoboken charges Manhattan prices. It's not cheap- but you will get more bang for your buck in Hoboken EVERY time.

You're relying on misconceptions. You clearly are unfamiliar with the area to not even know the closing time.

Typical NJ nonsense to think NYC is the be-all end-all.

Manhattan will cost more, you can't park, and if you think Hoboken has meatheads, fights, and too many happy hours...well I guess you have never been to any bars on the UWS, UES, Murray Hill, anywhere in Midtown, the financial district...

I saw a pretty nasty bar fight the other night at happy hour in the financial District. And it was between two guys wearing suits!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey