Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 05:14 AM

173 posts, read 657,208 times

Advertisements

I live in Union county, and would prefer not have to drive to Chester or Long Valley for fresh eggs. Any farms that sell good organic/cage-free eggs closer to me? But please feel free to suggest specific farms in the Morris/Hunterdon counties anyway...

I do normally buy eggs in a grocery store, but thought I would like to "taste the difference" everyone is talking about
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 05:47 AM

19,116 posts, read 25,309,475 times
In my area of Somerset County (which is likely to be closer for you than Hunterdon County), there are a number of places where you can buy eggs directly from the farmer.
In fact, I can think of one place that is only about 10 minutes south of New Brunswick. Send me a direct message if you want specific information.

Old 05-29-2013, 07:14 AM

225 posts, read 720,819 times
Are there any farmer's markets by you? I imagine Westfield or Summit would have a pretty decent one. They usually have at least one place with fresh eggs.

Old 05-29-2013, 07:57 AM

861 posts, read 2,717,006 times
New Brunswick isn't too, too far from you.... the Rutgers Farmers Market is there every Friday!
http://www.rutgersgardens.rutgers.edu/farmmarket.htm

Old 05-29-2013, 08:26 AM

391 posts, read 1,475,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJHomebody View Post
Are there any farmer's markets by you? I imagine Westfield or Summit would have a pretty decent one. They usually have at least one place with fresh eggs.
Westfield has a farmers market on Saturdays in the summer; south ave parking lot of train station.

Old 05-29-2013, 10:18 AM

2,160 posts, read 4,963,074 times
I buy organic cage-free eggs at the supermarket. Actually, this is the brand that I just purchased at Foodtown:

Organic Cage-Free Egg Producer | Egg Innovations

Is there a difference between something like that and what you'd get from the local farmer? I mean, as far as taste & quality. I understand if you're big on supporting local farmers.

Old 05-29-2013, 10:30 AM

30 posts, read 70,322 times
Lombardo Farms in Gillette has fresh farm eggs (Morris county but only just!)

Old 05-29-2013, 05:43 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,452,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperpile View Post
I live in Union county, and would prefer not have to drive to Chester or Long Valley for fresh eggs. Any farms that sell good organic/cage-free eggs closer to me? But please feel free to suggest specific farms in the Morris/Hunterdon counties anyway...

I do normally buy eggs in a grocery store, but thought I would like to "taste the difference" everyone is talking about

You can check out the NJ Dept of Agriculture's website for a list of area farm stands and farm markets.Jersey Fresh|Find Jersey Fresh On that site not only can you find the markets and stands, but you will also find info on "pick you own" farms, CSA's (Community Supported Agriculture) and food co ops.

I have found that eggs purchased fresh from the farm (or local farmer's market) are always fresher and better tasting. I personally have patronize Three Meadows Farm in Bedminister, which is located not that far from Union, as well as several farm stands more local to me in Morris Co. One word of caution, be sure to bring cash, most farm stands do not take credit/debit cards or checks.

KoalaNJ

[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Three Meadows Farm[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]1130 Burnt Mills Rd., Bedminster[/SIZE] [SIZE=2]Directions:[/SIZE][SIZE=2]Exactly 2 miles down Burnt Mills Rd. from either Rte. 202/206 or Rattlesnake Ridge Rd.[/SIZE] [SIZE=2]Phone:[/SIZE][SIZE=2](908) 719-7781,[/SIZE] [SIZE=2]Fax:[/SIZE] [SIZE=2](908) 719-7784[/SIZE] [SIZE=2]Email:[/SIZE][SIZE=2]krupert001@aol.com[/SIZE] [SIZE=2]Open:[/SIZE] [SIZE=2]Year-Round, Daylight hours[/SIZE] [SIZE=2]Roadside Market: [/SIZE][SIZE=2]Apples, Blackberries, Grapes, Lettuce, Melons, Peaches, Pears, Plums, Raspberries, Strawberries, Asparagus, Beans, Broccoli, Brussel Sprouts, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Corn, Cucumbers, Eggplant, Green Beans, Lettuce, Onions, Peas, Peppers, Potatoes, Pumpkins, Snap Beans, Spinach, Squash, Swiss Chard, Tomatoes, and Zucchini[/SIZE] [SIZE=2]Apple Varieties: [/SIZE][SIZE=2]Courtland, Granny Smith, MacIntosh, Red Delicious,and Yellow Delicious[/SIZE] [SIZE=2]Also Available: [/SIZE][SIZE=2]Bedding plants, Christmas trees, Cornstalks, Eggs, Flowers, Cut flowers, Fall mums, Bedding plants, Hay, and Herbs.

[/SIZE]

Old 05-29-2013, 06:24 PM

173 posts, read 657,208 times
Thank you all for fantastic pointers! Can't wait to get some fresh eggs :-)

Old 05-30-2013, 04:23 AM

19,116 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docendo discimus View Post
I buy organic cage-free eggs at the supermarket. Actually, this is the brand that I just purchased at Foodtown:

Organic Cage-Free Egg Producer | Egg Innovations

Is there a difference between something like that and what you'd get from the local farmer? I mean, as far as taste & quality. I understand if you're big on supporting local farmers.
Besides supporting local farmers, the most significant difference is in the freshness of the product when you purchase locally-produced food products. Those supermarket eggs are anywhere from 1-2 weeks old by the time that you buy them. Locally-sourced eggs are almost always sold within a day or two of being laid by the hens.

I belong to a CSA (Community-Supported Agriculture project), and--just as with eggs--the difference in the freshness of the produce is amazing. The produce that I receive each week is picked on the day of pickup, and there have been occasions when the tractor pulled in with a newly-picked wagonload of greens while I was at the pickup place, meaning that they were picked--literally--just minutes before.

The produce that you buy in a supermarket, or even a produce market, is likely to be at least one week old by the time that it reaches you from its place of origin in...let's say...California. The difference in taste (and likely in nutritive value) between just-picked produce and week-old produce is significant.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey