Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 10:55 AM

513 posts, read 1,167,319 times

Advertisements

Nothing better than seeing, a Jersey treasure, The Feelies at Maxwell's. The Feelies playing July 4 shows at Maxwell's (& other dates)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 12:41 PM

256 posts, read 573,061 times
Miami-

Yes that is the area I was referring to. I would put Barcade in that category as well, and some of the other places on side streets north of there (like White Star).

Not hipster JC places would be Powerhouse, Iron Monkey, Zeppelin, Surf City. Too many people think all JC bars are hipster. These places look more Hoboken-like.

Brady

I agree with your sentiment on the divisions. Jersey City is the same way.

Overall the people in Hoboken and JC have more in common than they like to let on. I think the problem come from the imposition on the part of the stroller mom crowd (ie, the push to cancel St. Patty's) that lead to resentment.

Old 06-06-2013, 02:48 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletKnightJet View Post
Miami-

Yes that is the area I was referring to. I would put Barcade in that category as well, and some of the other places on side streets north of there (like White Star).

Not hipster JC places would be Powerhouse, Iron Monkey, Zeppelin, Surf City. Too many people think all JC bars are hipster. These places look more Hoboken-like.

Brady

I agree with your sentiment on the divisions. Jersey City is the same way.

Overall the people in Hoboken and JC have more in common than they like to let on. I think the problem come from the imposition on the part of the stroller mom crowd (ie, the push to cancel St. Patty's) that lead to resentment.
I was a resident in Hoboken during the push to move the parade. The families were very disappointed when Hoboken decided to cancel it altogether. The parade was something the "stroller moms" enjoyed....it was the obnoxious crowds that many Hoboken residents didn't like. Residences of buildings had to incur expenses every year when their Associations had to repair things damaged by the drunks. The city was a mess for 24-36 hours. People pi$$ed in the streets. I'm half irish, and I love the Scranton parade. People get hammered and have a good time, and don't act obnoxious. The Hoboken parade was horrendous. If people can't handle a day of fun and drinking in a semi-responsible manner, then they shouldn't be mad at "stroller moms" for the parade getting cancelled.

There's one group of people to blame for the parade being cancelled, and most of them don't live in Hoboken anyways.

I left town because it was a crappy place to have a family. That's finally changing, and that's a good thing.

Old 06-06-2013, 03:25 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,076,477 times
I've been going to Hoboken off & on for 25 yrs. When wasn't it difficult.to park there? It was always invaded by college drunks on weekends as well. The youngsters think this is something new. If people want a quieter, more urbane Hudson River.experience, travel 30 miles north to Piermont. I dont think the guidos have ruined it yet.

Old 06-06-2013, 03:27 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,862,267 times
Have had some good old times at Maxwells. Used to see the pietasters all the time in the 00s

Old 06-06-2013, 04:49 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,525,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
yuppie scum? i'm sad to see maxwell's close, but less and less people in general go out to see the indie rock scene, and rent in hoboken is valuable on washington street.

you hate sports bars? are sports bars a "yuppie" thing?
I don't hate sports bars -- I enjoy them but Hoboken seems to have an eclectic mix of yuppie scum and bros who congregate in them quite frequently.

As for "stroller moms" -- they are almost as bad as the yuppie scum. Ever see them try to push they're strollers through a storefront door in Hoboken? It's funny to watch. I always think to myself, "sweetheart, do yourself a favor and make the move to Summit already."

Old 06-06-2013, 05:00 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,076,477 times
Diehipster.com went dark recently but it was one hilarious site that skewered Brooklyn hipsters endlessly. One of his best posts was putting up a map of Brooklyn with a red line separating north & south Brooklyn warning all hipsters that they better not dare step over the line and infest south Brooklyn with their artisanal pickle shops and adult kickball games.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:32 AM

513 posts, read 1,167,319 times
Very good interview with the Maxwell's owner/chief booker Todd Abramson on the closing. The Brian Lehrer Show: Goodbye Maxwell's - WNYC

Old 06-07-2013, 10:41 AM

386 posts, read 872,117 times
Hey, look on the bright side. New Brunswick, Trenton, and Asbury Park haven't been ruined yet, and have the best punk scenes in the state.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:09 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,088,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
You guys are a bit late since 20+ yrs ago the Yuppies invaded and started gentrifying the hell out of Hoboken, to the horror of the natives. TBH I'm kinda surprised Maxwell's lasted this long since alternative rock's heyday peaked in the mid 90s.

Is the Loop Lounge still open. Now that place rawked!
Loop is still open I love that place
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey