Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 03:59 AM

3 posts, read 4,303 times

Advertisements

hi guys,
I wan to come to Newark but ı dont have any idea about it. some people said to me there is so boring citiy. can you give me some advice about Newark, Delaware?
Are there any activities or spor facilities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 06:46 AM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belisima View Post
hi guys,
I wan to come to Newark but ı dont have any idea about it. some people said to me there is so boring citiy. can you give me some advice about Newark, Delaware?
Are there any activities or spor facilities?
How about posting in the Delaware forum with that one?

Old 06-12-2013, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwfloberg View Post
I like this idea. 25+15+15 = 55 minute commute which I consider fine. And yes, my theoretical place of employment does offer shuttles from the station to the office as well as free parking.

It seems like my figures are out of the question, and I am not surprised. Anyway, I am looking at a $50-$60k salary, with only mandatory student loans coming in at $250 a month. My desired payments are that - desired. Is it really un-reasonable to work in Newark and work in NYC for $53k? I do love my car, but for living in NYC, would likely be willing to get rid of it. Material possessions can be re-acquired.
If you're seriously looking for information about living in NYC, go to the NYC forum, give them your budget, and perhaps they can point you in another direction. You'll get some wisecracks about living in refrigerator boxes if you talk about Manhattan for $900 (where your average rental is $4,000), but they'll likely be able to give you some ideas about neighborhoods in Brooklyn or Queens where you could afford to live with a roommate or rent a room.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:36 AM

53 posts, read 118,620 times
Yeah, I realize rent is going to be retarded. From this forum I was looking for info on if the commute was doable - 1 hour-ish, and if anyone else really does it? Seems like there is a few decent jobs in central Newark

Old 06-12-2013, 10:46 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,297,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwfloberg View Post
I like this idea. 25+15+15 = 55 minute commute which I consider fine. And yes, my theoretical place of employment does offer shuttles from the station to the office as well as free parking.
Well those 55 minutes are the time that you're on a train while it's moving (and the walk times between the transfers were included). But every time you transfer you'll have to wait on a platform for a train to show up. So really it's 25+(5-10 waiting)+15+(5-10 waiting)+15=65-75. And then of course any time it takes you to walk from your apartment to the first train station and from the last train station to your office (again probably 5-10 min on either end of the trip), so your door-to-door time will really be more like 75-95 min.

I get wanting to be in NYC, but if you move deep into an outer part of Brooklyn or Queens, you're not really "in the city" anymore, and your commute to work and to nightlife in Manhattan could be very long. And in this case, I think Jersey City is a better option for you--closer to work and Manhattan, easier on the budget, has some nightlife of its own.

Take Mightyqueen's advice and check out the NYC forum. They might have some different ideas on how to survive in Manhattan or northern Brooklyn on a shoestring.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:32 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
Those tend to live in JC or Brooklyn .

.......but yes, lots of very pretty hard-partying girls in Hoboken. That said, it's a terribly fratty scene and if that's not your style you not only won't be happy with it but you also won't be very successful romantically either, due to not fitting in. Granted it doesn't terribly matter when the train to NYC is right there, but if you're paying the premium for Hoboken should make sure you gel with the local culture.
aaaahhh i wrote "bank chicks"!!!!?! it was supposed to say:

"live in Hoboken, get drink, BANG chicks"

Old 06-12-2013, 05:42 PM

1,619 posts, read 3,770,959 times
If you are willing to ditch the car and use the 500+900, you can get a share in the village that has access to the path and Newark. You will be eating crap food and looking for specials on beer, but you are 22 and you are probably doing that already. Besides housing, I fine that you can get cheaper things in NYC than in Hoboken (NYC has a wide range and the low end is lower than Hoboken, of course the high end if much much higher). As long as you have a little money in the bank, and you are breaking even every month, go for it. When your first raise comes in, start saving that. Your salary goes up fast in your first few years of work (if you are good at what you do)

Old 06-12-2013, 07:56 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
aaaahhh i wrote "bank chicks"!!!!?! it was supposed to say:

"live in Hoboken, get drink, BANG chicks"
holy crap, i cant believe i didn't proofread again.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
holy crap, i cant believe i didn't proofread again.
It's old age.

Old 06-13-2013, 10:17 AM

510 posts, read 2,243,421 times
It's a rare occassion here, I agree with CaptainNJ on this one! I think you can have the best of both worlds in Hoboken. Commute to Newark is easy enough on the PATH (just transfer to Newark at JSQ) and you're one stop from Manhattan when you want to go into the city. The town is absolutely loaded with young people and you'll have plenty of opportunity to meet people and "bank chicks". I'm usually a big proponent of Jersey City and, although it would save you a transfer on the PATH, I think it's better suited for couples or those looking for a bit more quiet than the typical post college transplant.

I'd really recommend living in NJ if you're going to be working in Newark. The areas of Brooklyn where you'd likely end up living aren't as close to Manhattan as Hoboken and JC.

Couple caveats: $900 isn't going to go far here. You *might* be able to find a share in a small 2 bedroom for that price. If you're looking on your own you'd probably need closer to $1400 (or possibly more) for a studio in Hoboken or Downtown JC. Also, ditch the car unless you plan on living somewhere more suburban. It will be a HUGE liability financially and will give you nothing but headaches unless you're willing to pay $200+ a month for parking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey