Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2013, 05:22 PM

2 posts, read 1,732 times

Advertisements

I was hoping somebody might give me an idea how to handle this problem.....I have two 12-2 wires that leave my basement through a conduit that supplies electric to my garage. When we get very heavy downpours, the conduit discharges water into my basement. The conduit runs approximately 30" under my paved driveway to the garage. Any ideas on fixes? I would ideally like to not dig up my paved driveway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2013, 06:37 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,295,665 times
Pump a lot of weatherproof caulking into the conduit, that should keep the water from entering your house.
Underground type UF cable is probably what you have and it is made to work submerged.

Old 06-13-2013, 06:47 PM

2 posts, read 1,732 times
Default electrical

I just looked...it is UL approved. It looks like somebody may have done that once before. There is a bunch of old dry caulk at the end of it. Thanks for the advice. I will take out the old stuff and pump it with waterproof silicone or something similar. Thanks again!

Old 06-16-2013, 06:48 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,295,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjm4516 View Post
I just looked...it is UL approved. It looks like somebody may have done that once before. There is a bunch of old dry caulk at the end of it. Thanks for the advice. I will take out the old stuff and pump it with waterproof silicone or something similar. Thanks again!
Not UL... UF cable which is usually gray and made for direct burial. You should be able to see UF imprinted on the cable. If it is printed NM cable, which I doubt that would be Romex cable not suitable to be submerged. But that would be another problem.

Old 06-16-2013, 06:55 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,718,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Not UL... UF cable which is usually gray and made for direct burial. You should be able to see UF imprinted on the cable. If it is printed NM cable, which I doubt that would be Romex cable not suitable to be submerged. But that would be another problem.
But figure out what is in the conduit before you seal it. You can likely pull a proper cable if it is the wrong stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey