Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2007, 06:29 PM

4 posts, read 42,405 times

Advertisements

I recently started working in Teaneck, and I am new to Bergen County. So far I've been commuting from New York and Central Jersey, and I would like to get a place of my own. The criteria are as follows: rent within $1000, an ability to jump on the train or a bus and be in Manhattan, access to route 4 or 80, a town with character (Asian, Russian, Hispanic businesses, etc), at least one street that has some restaurants, fruit markets, a book store, something!

My co-workers suggested Cliffside Park, Hackensack and Englewood. Does anyone have any direct experiences renting / living in these towns? Especially, regarding Hackensack, could anyone recommend any of those complexes on Prospect Avenue or any of the garden apartment complexes? I've gone through some older threads on this forum, and found that some people spoke favorably of Ridgefield Park and Rutherford. I would appreciate advice on these towns as well.

Have a good evening, and thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2007, 06:56 PM

1,215 posts, read 3,274,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goluboivagon View Post
I recently started working in Teaneck, and I am new to Bergen County. So far I've been commuting from New York and Central Jersey, and I would like to get a place of my own. The criteria are as follows: rent within $1000, an ability to jump on the train or a bus and be in Manhattan, access to route 4 or 80, a town with character (Asian, Russian, Hispanic businesses, etc), at least one street that has some restaurants, fruit markets, a book store, something!

My co-workers suggested Cliffside Park, Hackensack and Englewood. Does anyone have any direct experiences renting / living in these towns? Especially, regarding Hackensack, could anyone recommend any of those complexes on Prospect Avenue or any of the garden apartment complexes? I've gone through some older threads on this forum, and found that some people spoke favorably of Ridgefield Park and Rutherford. I would appreciate advice on these towns as well.

Have a good evening, and thanks!
Hackensack has a wide spectrum of sections. You have multi-million dollar homes on Summit Avenue, high-rises on Prospect Avenue, garden apartment complexes all over, and single family homes all over. There is a section of Hackensack that you do not want to live in -- it's not safe to walk around at night, crime, drugs, etc. The garden apartment complexes are OK. I would stick to the newer ones, in a better area, etc.

There's two right off of Summit Avenue. One is, I think, a Hekemian property, the other is right next door. It's a block or two south of Essex St. right off Summit. There's a few others, some of which are older, not as nice, etc. Spend the day driving around and you'll see what's there.

Cliffside Park is nice town -- also high-rises, single family homes, mid-rises, garden apartments, etc. The "avenue" is Anderson Avenue, all storefronts, a wide variety of shopping, culture, etc. For that price point, you'll either find an apartment in a 2-family, one of the older buildings, garden apartments, etc. Check out Plateau Gardens (actually in Fort Lee). It might fit. I would stay away from some of the older buildings in CP. There's a few new mid-rises, but I don't think they'll fit the price point. The garden apartments tend to be older.

Englewood will probably be outside your price point. You might find something so it's worth looking.

Ridgefield Park can work. Check out the apartment complex at the east end of Christie St. and the one north of that one (Scott Court?). I think the Christie St. complex is the newest one in town. Nice apartments, appliances, pool, etc. There are some other apartment complexes as well, a few buildings, etc.

Being that these are all nearby -- I would drive out there and spend an entire day. Spend a second day. Look around and see what you like.

Old 11-06-2007, 01:00 PM

EANJ, I really appreciate your detailed response! Now I have my weekend all planned out.

Old 11-06-2007, 06:29 PM

64 posts, read 243,871 times
Stick with Prospect Ave in Hackensack, there are some cheaper apartments off Essex street, close to everthing, but Essex street is ALWAYS busy. Easy access to NYC by bus. There are some other apartments by Main St, but I wouldn't recommend it. Check the area when you cross over Beech Street on Prospect Ave. I can tell you anywhere near first street, newman street, or central ave, unless its across summit ave isnt too friendly. I have never felt threatened and I lived there for 22 years, just roam through the area and check it out. I second EANJ on Ridgefield Park, I would say to check some parts of Lodi as well. If you need some more info, PM me. Good luck!

Old 11-06-2007, 09:40 PM

1,215 posts, read 3,274,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful127 View Post
Stick with Prospect Ave in Hackensack, there are some cheaper apartments off Essex street, close to everthing, but Essex street is ALWAYS busy. Easy access to NYC by bus. There are some other apartments by Main St, but I wouldn't recommend it. Check the area when you cross over Beech Street on Prospect Ave. I can tell you anywhere near first street, newman street, or central ave, unless its across summit ave isnt too friendly. I have never felt threatened and I lived there for 22 years, just roam through the area and check it out. I second EANJ on Ridgefield Park, I would say to check some parts of Lodi as well. If you need some more info, PM me. Good luck!
I wouldn't look at those "cheaper apartments" off Essex. They've become run down in recent years. I had a friend who lived there, moved away, and came back. Beech St. is the street I was thinking of (I think, LOL) right off Summit. Those two complexes there are OK. One is better than the other. I think the older one "wraps around" and runs out to Essex.

I would also stay away from Main St. It's not what it used to be, and along State St. as well (over by the Simple Simon's), and back to Anderson. They are just not great areas. Head up the hill (so to speak).

I would also vote for Ridgefield Park over Lodi.

Old 11-07-2007, 07:40 PM

Thank you so much! If you don't mind, I'll take you up on your offer and send you a PM once I drive around the area you've mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey