Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2007, 07:49 PM

50 posts, read 323,614 times

Advertisements

Is there really much difference between the south side of Westfield and the north? Ask because our only shot of living in the town may be to buy on the less pricey south side. Is one side more prone to flooding? Any other differences aside from cachet and price?

What we would like is to be in walking distance to town and schools, if possible. One very random question: Is 1st Street a very busy street, i.e. would you not want to buy a house there? I understand McKinley Elementary is located on First and is a small, nice school. We may come see a house nearby this weekend.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2007, 07:43 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,669,512 times
First is still a nice street.

Imho, the only place you may not *want* to buy in Westfield is right by Cacciola (meaning adjacent - its the low income housing portion) and on Central on the south side (north side of central is all downtown businesses). On central you'll see a good number of duplexes in ok condition - nothing compared to the rest of the town.

Other than that, which is nothing much really, anywhere in Westfield is a great place to be. Sure, there are some incredible homes on the north side, including one INCREDIBLY WELL done victorian on Lawrence (I've been tempted to stop by and tell them how fantastic the house looks since they restored it, rather than tearing it down and building new, but didn't want to freak them out ).

Old 11-06-2007, 03:33 PM

50 posts, read 323,614 times
Default Thanks

Thank you for all the helpful info!

Am I supposed to infer anything by fact First is "still" a nice street, or is it really a nice block?

Old 11-06-2007, 07:48 PM

239 posts, read 1,141,118 times
Hi, First Street is a nice street. There is a Catholic elementary school at the end close to town. I like the area around Hazel Ave. very much. We just moved to Westfield about a month ago after looking for many months, and seeing over 50 houses, both on the south and the north sides. We ended up on the north side but would have been just as happy on the south--just happened that the house we liked best was here. One thing that I do like about the south side is that all 3 of your schools--elem, middle and high school are in the same area--and potentially walkable to ALL of them.

PM me if you have any questions. The house hunting process is still fresh in my mind...

Old 11-07-2007, 09:31 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,501,943 times
Westfield is know as an upscale town and I really have not seen a bad part. The town itself is also really trendy and cute.

Old 11-08-2007, 06:57 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,669,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYmama View Post
Thank you for all the helpful info!

Am I supposed to infer anything by fact First is "still" a nice street, or is it really a nice block?
Nope! Nothing at all

Its a beautiful town if you can afford it. Where I ended up buying (because even though I'm currently living in Westfield (getting my new house ready), I can't afford to buy there) is like a small Westfield, about 10 years ago. I'm a big fan of the town, its a great place to live
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey