U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 06:18 AM

3 posts, read 20,417 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are considering moving to Ramsey, NJ. I commute to NYC for work. I am aware of my options for the train (Ramsey and Ramsey Rt. 17 stops) but hoping to get some insider info on bus commute. I grew up over the border in NY and am very familiar with the Shortline (Coach USA) bus but hoping to learn about parking options for the stops in/near Ramsey. Where do people park if they use the Route 17/Lake Street stop? Can you park at Houlihans? Or must you get dropped off/picked up from the stops? Also - are there other bus options besides Shortline from Ramsey?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 09:49 AM

2 posts, read 9,300 times
did you find anything out?

Old 01-13-2014, 06:19 AM

3 posts, read 20,417 times
no - did not find anything out.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:11 AM

2,491 posts, read 5,118,680 times
Bus commute in general is far less desirable than train. Having taken that particular bus many times I would say you are wayyyy better off with the train. The only reason to take the bus is if you live very close to a bus stop and would be able to ditch one of your cars to save that expense each month. Other than that dealing with traffic and the chaos that is the Port Authority Bus terminal make commuting by bus to Ramsey from NYC a plan b option at best.

Old 01-15-2014, 08:21 AM

1,792 posts, read 932,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
Bus commute in general is far less desirable than train. Having taken that particular bus many times I would say you are wayyyy better off with the train. The only reason to take the bus is if you live very close to a bus stop and would be able to ditch one of your cars to save that expense each month. Other than that dealing with traffic and the chaos that is the Port Authority Bus terminal make commuting by bus to Ramsey from NYC a plan b option at best.
I live in Fair Lawn so I have an option of taking either train or bus. I also found that the train is more reliable, pleasant experience. I find that this is true even though we have to transfer either at Secaucus or Hoboken to get to Manhattan from the Bergen county line. The buses to NJ during rush hour are always packed, non express buses stop at almost every block in NJ and they regularly get stuck in traffic both ways. I get NJT traffic alerts for both bus and train and the ones for the bus I receive almost daily. In the evening, I usually get an alert about at least half an hour delay due to congestion near Lincoln tunnel.

I have found that when you go back home, the buses leave Port Authority more or less on time. But going to work in Manhattan, they almost never pick you on NJ on time. 5-10 minutes delays are common place. So I strongly recommend commuting by train.

Old 01-15-2014, 09:12 AM

2,491 posts, read 5,118,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
I live in Fair Lawn so I have an option of taking either train or bus. I also found that the train is more reliable, pleasant experience. I find that this is true even though we have to transfer either at Secaucus or Hoboken to get to Manhattan from the Bergen county line. The buses to NJ during rush hour are always packed, non express buses stop at almost every block in NJ and they regularly get stuck in traffic both ways. I get NJT traffic alerts for both bus and train and the ones for the bus I receive almost daily. In the evening, I usually get an alert about at least half an hour delay due to congestion near Lincoln tunnel.

I have found that when you go back home, the buses leave Port Authority more or less on time. But going to work in Manhattan, they almost never pick you on NJ on time. 5-10 minutes delays are common place. So I strongly recommend commuting by train.

Not to mention the massive lines that form inside Port Authority, nothing like waiting in line for 30 minutes and then sitting, or sometimes standing, on the bus for an hour to cap off a day at the office. I avoid the bus like the plague.

Old 07-14-2014, 02:14 PM

1 posts, read 7,597 times
I have been in Ramsey for more than 11 years, commuting all the time to midtown New York. I have tried 3 options.

1. Train from Ramsey (Both stations, Main and 17th),
2. Bus, CoachUSA parking in Ridgewood Park&Ride and
3. Bus, NJTransit. parking in Vince Lombardi Park&Ride.

Bottom line, option 2 is my choice, I use it most of the time (99%), except when there is a snow storm (option 1) or when I don't have the 40 book ticket and I need to buy a round trip for the day (option 3).

Pros and overall experiencei for No 2.
Is less expensive, is more flexible since frequency of busses during peak hours is good, I do not need to do transfer in any station (i.e. Secaucus). And overall duration time is faster. (40 to 45 mins Average under normal traffic conditions)

Cons.
- If I take the bus after 7:15 in the morning, traffic maybe an issue.
- Bus smealy\cleaning 1 of 5 buses. I am guessing the person\personnel that clean the buses use the same clothes used to clean the bahtroom, so you guess what the bus smells.
- If is raining or snowing, the Park and Ride does not have the same convience that the Train station of Vince Lombardi P&R. -
- I usually buy the 40 book tickets, but it has an expiration date (I believe 7 days after the 20 business days), and the return policy is a pain, I tried couple times and give up. So pretty much I just buy the 40 tickets when I will use all of them, other wise option No 3.
- Usually Fridays are painfull leaving Porth Authority (I usually leave @ 6:00PM), I am guessing, many people leaving the city but also PABT personnel gone for the week not helping to coordinate the departures).

As I said, all things consider, I prefer the bus, and I regret not having a direct train from Ramsey to Penn Station.

Regards

Old 07-14-2014, 03:02 PM

21 posts, read 36,470 times
Hi Gromero, we are considering homes around the area and my husband commutes to Port Authority. Please can you let me know where do you park for the coach bus? and at what time? He will most likely leave at 8:30 am. Thanks!

Old 08-26-2015, 03:54 PM

1 posts, read 5,250 times
Please Help! Can someone please tell me exactly where I am supposed to wait for the bus when trying to find the bus stop at Rt17 and Lake St.? A picture would be wonderful but even describing it would help. I have not been able to get an answer from anyone at Shortline and any answer would help me right now. thank you for help!

Old 08-26-2015, 06:22 PM

439 posts, read 746,221 times
I don't know if this is the right answer or not, but it seems to add up: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.0609...7i13312!8i6656
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey