Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 09:13 AM

312 posts, read 682,562 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure I understand why Summit has better train service. It looks like the Millburn and Short Hills train stops both get good service and are closer than the Summit stop. Are there some trains that depart from Summit that skip the Millburn stops?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 12:36 PM

385 posts, read 1,169,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msulinski View Post
I'm not sure I understand why Summit has better train service. It looks like the Millburn and Short Hills train stops both get good service and are closer than the Summit stop. Are there some trains that depart from Summit that skip the Millburn stops?
yes. even though millburn and short hills are closer, summit has more express service. for example, there is one train from penn (i think the 605) that goes express to summit no stops.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:09 PM

6 posts, read 18,198 times
Any other thoughts?

Old 08-06-2013, 12:32 AM

1,450 posts, read 3,435,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCmoving456 View Post
Any other thoughts?
Both towns are wonderful choices, great schools, safe, so much going for them. As others have mentioned, for me it would come down to two factors, the specifics of the house (which one I fell in love with, was on a quieter street, etc) and the second factor would be taxes. Though the taxes are pretty close between the two, it comes down to current valuations. The effective tax rate for Millburn is 1.781, Summit is 1.774 I am not certain when each town last had a re-evaluation done, and when/if a new one is scheduled. The schools in Millburn are ranked slightly higher than Summit. Millburn's HS had just under 1,500 students last yr, and Summit had just over 1,000. I believe Millburn has more course selections available, esp in AP courses, though Summit has a good amount/selection. Frankly we are talking about the difference in choosing between a Ferrari or a Lamborghini for your weekend car...

KoalaNJ

Old 08-06-2013, 11:54 AM

91 posts, read 374,238 times
Have you ruled out Glen Ridge? Beautiful town and homes. Walk or jitney to the train and excellent schools.

Old 08-06-2013, 12:03 PM

1,942 posts, read 3,289,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanonGrace View Post
We live in Millburn--great town, EXCELLENT schools and that was the draw for us.
wow, you must be:
Quote:
if you are rich rich rich rich rich rich, go with SH/Millburn

Old 08-07-2013, 01:19 PM

478 posts, read 1,224,103 times
re the tax reval date- it shouldn't matter as the tax ratio equalizes that out. If the town gets revaled some taxes should go up and some should go down, some unchanged (in theory). Taxes are a good bit lower than some other Essex County towns, but the higher home prices have this built in. There's no free ride!

One thing to consider is that people move to short hills expressly because the schools are competitive. I know families that switched to private schools despite living in Millburn because they were shut out of AP classes they wanted. Otherwise people seem to love it.

Old 08-07-2013, 04:04 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,877,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCmoving456 View Post
My family and I are thinking of moving from NYC and have narrowed it down to Summit/Short Hills. I understand many of the surrounding towns are great but we are trying to narrow our options. Any input on either town is much appreciated - types of people, community, things to do. Considering they are so close to each other does it make a difference to live in one vs the other? I'm leaning towards Summit but we've seen some stuff close to the Short hills train station that is nice and my husband could walk to the train. Thanks!
I much prefer Summit's downtown but as it's been said, both are great options. But the better downtown is more of a deal breaker for me, personally.

Old 08-07-2013, 04:16 PM

239 posts, read 377,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zap02 View Post
Have you ruled out Glen Ridge? Beautiful town and homes. Walk or jitney to the train and excellent schools.
One problem with Glen Ridge is that there are some really bad areas in Bkoomfield in really close proximity. I was driving through there the other day and the neighborhoods changed in the blink of an eye.

Old 08-07-2013, 06:29 PM

667 posts, read 1,737,512 times
Summit +1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey