Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 09:28 AM

25 posts, read 45,901 times

Advertisements

30 year mortgage interest rate has jumped from around 3.4% in early May to about 4.5% today. For most home buyers who have a fixed monthly budget, the rise in rate means they now have less buying power as more of their money must go towards interest payment.

So far I have not seen sellers cutting prices at all, most still say it's a hot market. "My neighbor just sold his house for $$$" is a line I hear a lot of.

As someone looking to buy, I want to hear how other buyers are doing/reacting to the mortgage issue(if anything). Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 09:38 AM

1,422 posts, read 3,441,287 times
I work in finance(mortgage processor)for local bank and i can hear by manager yelling at her computer.. LOL..

Old 06-21-2013, 09:43 AM

800 posts, read 1,297,003 times
well, i'm a buyer of a pending short sale and the nice stable rates of 3.15 when i start the process and the new rates of 4+ have quite an impact. we can afford the new rates but the mental mindF that if we were to close today are now paying 2-300 more than we would have for the same purchase price is very annoying. i'm hoping rates go back down a bit before we actually see a close date in sight but if this continues we may reevalute the home or put more % down. if rates keep going up at the pace they have been in the last few weeks we will be back at 6-7% before summers over.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penga25 View Post
well, i'm a buyer of a pending short sale and the nice stable rates of 3.15 when i start the process and the new rates of 4+ have quite an impact. we can afford the new rates but the mental mindF that if we were to close today are now paying 2-300 more than we would have for the same purchase price is very annoying. i'm hoping rates go back down a bit before we actually see a close date in sight but if this continues we may reevalute the home or put more % down. if rates keep going up at the pace they have been in the last few weeks we will be back at 6-7% before summers over.
I hear ya. It's more than just a MindF, the extra $200-300 a month you're paying will add up to a lot of money over the life of the loan. My guess is that sales volume will drop in July/Aug., assuming rates stay where they are or go even higher. Sellers won't throw in the towel and cut prices until perhaps after labor day. I'll still be looking, but suddenly not in a hurry anymore...

Old 06-21-2013, 10:42 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,400,123 times
you can still get about 4.25% or better. Shop around. It's still a great rate, just not "as great" as it was a little while ago.

Old 06-21-2013, 10:44 AM

357 posts, read 1,026,530 times
Lets not get carried away. When i bought my home 3 years ago I thought my 5% was great. 4.5 is still low by historical standards.

Old 06-21-2013, 10:56 AM

550 posts, read 965,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imoapie View Post
Lets not get carried away. When i bought my home 3 years ago I thought my 5% was great. 4.5 is still low by historical standards.
I agree. I'll have to admit, when the rate went from 3.4% to 3.75% between the time we started casually looking towards the latter part of 2012 to when we locked in our rate for our recent home purchase, and I figured out the difference over the life of the loan, I kicked myself.

Old 06-21-2013, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoapie View Post
Fair point. But, interest rate moves inversely to asset prices. I'd imagine the house you purchased with that 5% rate is probably worth a bit more today.

By historical standard, today's rate is still very low, but home prices is still very high. Many places in Somerset county are asking/trading at all time highs. All I am saying is that as a buyer, as interest rate has moved up meaningfully from where it was, I expect prices to come in a little bit.

Old 06-21-2013, 11:11 AM

1,947 posts, read 3,322,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatter13 View Post
30 year mortgage interest rate has jumped from around 3.4% in early May to about 4.5% today. For most home buyers who have a fixed monthly budget, the rise in rate means they now have less buying power as more of their money must go towards interest payment.

So far I have not seen sellers cutting prices at all, most still say it's a hot market. "My neighbor just sold his house for $$$" is a line I hear a lot of.

As someone looking to buy, I want to hear how other buyers are doing/reacting to the mortgage issue(if anything). Thanks.
Rates haven't moved enought to slow down home sales. There are still too many buyers relative to the inventory available. Inventory remains at historic lows and in spite of the rise in mortage rates, those remain low as well. Low inventory coupled with still very low rates and high demand will result in continued aggressive bidding on homes. Something else will need to happen for the home prices to pull back.

Old 06-21-2013, 11:23 AM

683 posts, read 464,703 times
Well, if you've been looking....get out this weekend and MAKE AN OFFER. Stop sitting on the fence
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey