Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2013, 07:50 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnetworking View Post
I really don't know what could prevent this.
like others have said, big scary dog or dogs. then id also have a gun to grab just in case the perp is fighting with the dog. I wonder if there are stats regarding crimes of this nature and dogs being in the home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 08:10 AM

1,947 posts, read 3,323,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
Am I the only one thinking and wishing the victims husband came down from the second floor and blew this guys head off. Remember people the key words" I feared for my life" or " I feared for the life of my child" Put that in the report and you're good to go. No jury will ever convict you.
Would've been nice if the hubby was upstairs and came down to greet Mr. break-in, icky, criminal with a Benelli SuperNova. Very nice piece for HD.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:31 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
why the f wouldn't this be death penalty worthy? we should let him roam free to attack someone else or pay for him to live in jail forever? unfortunately, there are lots of dirtbags out there that don't think this guy should be put to death and they seem to make the laws or have more influence on those that make the laws than decent people. this guy should be skinned alive and dipped in a big pot of acid.
couple of things:

1. it's brutal, but it's an assault and a robbery - you really want that punishable by death?
2. pay for him to live in jail forever? do you know how expensive the death penalty is?
3. i'm not a fan of torture so i wouldn't skin him - but i wouldn't mind seeing him get a beating of his own.
4. death is an easy way off. i'd rather see him rot in jail with lack of freedom.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoalaNJ View Post
One thing that stands out for me in this horrendous attack, it is clear the man KNEW the home, he also knew that the woman would be home with just the little kids and no large and loud dog. He knew just where the door to the basement was, and that it was not locked with a childproof lock. Most families with young kids do have locks on the door to the basement so that the little ones do not fall down the basement stairs. Someone who just picked a random home in a wealthy neighborhood to rob, would not know this type of info. This attack was planned out, perhaps as a message to the family, or by someone who had been inside the home before, like a repairman, deliveryman, etc. It was not a random act.

KoalaNJ
that's a lot of logical leaps. he seemed to do a lot of walking back and forth. maybe when he opened the door, he thought it was a closet, and steps were just a pleasant surprise to this sicko? I have children - no childproof lock on my basement stairs. you really believe he knew what doors in this house did and didn't have child locks? i mean....it's possible, but wow.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:
I understand that the law wouldn't put him to death. that's whats terrible about the law. im just saying what SHOULD happen to him and what he should legally be entitled to (a horribly painful death).

I don't simply favor the death penalty for people who kill someone else. I absolutely think that attempted murder should incur the same penalty; why reward someone for failing to accomplish what they attempted? but even physically attacking someone without cause should get the death penalty as far as im concerned. it shouldn't be difficult to stop yourself from beating someone for no reason and if you do it you deserve to die.
hmmm. if someone is close to you and shouting in your face, and you attack them....you should get the death penalty?

oh wait....YOU get determine what "cause" is. i forgot. nevermind.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorfulchic83 View Post
While I don't agree with some of the fools who claim this was racially motivated, or a hate crime in ANY way, I don't think there is much evidence to suggest she knew the dude. You can hear him asking were her purse is. The assault & burglary don't seem well thought out. It seems like a drug addict looking for a way to pay for his fix, and he didn't expect anyone to be home. His skin looks drab, just his manner of moving, looks like he is disoriented, going through withdrawal, and wants drugs bad. That would explain some of the weird things he did like closing the door of the TV cabinet.
I've worked with people going through drug addiction, they do weird things when their body needs that drug. If they don't get their fix, they can get violent. Honestly, I think once he's through with his binge, he'll resurface, probably not even remembering the attack, and have a hell of surprise when they arrest him.
I wonder what would happen to me or my wife if this happened in our home. We have some items of value, like an iPad, our phones, and some other stuff, but we never have cash (so finding the purse would be useless), our jewelry is junk, and I no longer have a laptop for someone to easily steal. So would the a-hole beat us harder cause now he's mad he didn't get anything, or would he leave us alone?

either way, I'm glad I have a large, scary looking dog, nosy neighbors, and a house that's difficult to easily approach for a break-in like this.

someone i know in millburn told me he actually kicked down a dead-bolted back door? that seems pretty insane. i wonder how she didn't have time to call the cops if he was kicking a door in? though it's easy to say that as an observer.

Old 06-27-2013, 11:32 AM

Quote:
yeah, they are. it may have helped.
had this conversation with a friend. no matter what your thoughts on guns are....in this particular situation, where do you expect she'd have the gun while sitting on the couch with her 3 yr old? While there are certainly cases where guns help, this is not a good example at all.

Old 06-27-2013, 11:35 AM

Quote:
yes. the most important aspect is that they are all equal. I didn't really mean to get into a debate about what constitutes a "hate crime." the point is that the designation is meaningless; the important thing is the same and that is that an innocent person was violently attacked by a criminal.

what good is an unloaded gun going to do you? there are fingerprint safes that give you quick access to your loaded gun while preventing people from accessing it. without the gun, she is completely at the mercy of the violent criminal.
and with a gun, she's completely at the mercy of the violent criminal who just smacked her as she grabbed her gun, and now has a gun....

Old 06-27-2013, 11:44 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
couple of things:

1. it's brutal, but it's an assault and a robbery - you really want that punishable by death?
2. pay for him to live in jail forever? do you know how expensive the death penalty is?
3. i'm not a fan of torture so i wouldn't skin him - but i wouldn't mind seeing him get a beating of his own.
4. death is an easy way off. i'd rather see him rot in jail with lack of freedom.
1. yes, I want him dead. to violently attack someone is a choice of an animal that deserves to be put down.

2. the death penalty is expensive because of our crappy process. ideally id like the process improved but I suppose life in prison with no parole is fine if its the cheaper option.

4. people seem to really not want to be put to death a lot more than life in prison. I guess death is scary, but it is over fast. once again, the difference isn't huge to me.

Old 06-27-2013, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubileefd View Post
First of all this is not getting alot of press outside of local news. I only heard about it word of mouth. Secondly other horrible home invasions committed by white low lifes did get an immense amount of press (Connecticut case) and also ignited conversation on bearing arms etc.

Who the perpetrator was is part of the story, can't ignore it, but it doesn't change how terrifying this is because this is not something anyone can prevent! The idea that this was a known assailant is just absurd IMO.
it went viral. i know people in PA who saw it on the news. Huffington Post did an article on it. It certainly is getting widespread attention. It's also shared all over facebook.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey