Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2013, 01:20 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,333,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
1. yes, I want him dead. to violently attack someone is a choice of an animal that deserves to be put down.

2. the death penalty is expensive because of our crappy process. ideally id like the process improved but I suppose life in prison with no parole is fine if its the cheaper option.

4. people seem to really not want to be put to death a lot more than life in prison. I guess death is scary, but it is over fast. once again, the difference isn't huge to me.
2. - yeah, what a silly process we have of ensuring that someone is definitely guilty before executing them. what are we? some sort of civilized democracy?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 01:20 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,476,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
seems like one of those things that are not measurable. how do you quantify how many homes a burgler passed on because they heard a dog? but i'm comfortable enough with how people who react to my dog barking, who know he's friendly, to assume he'd be somewhat of a deterrant. plus, it's always surprising to me how many people are afraid of any dog....even small ones.
definitely cant be exact but you could look at how many home invasions/burglaries happened in homes with or without dogs and compare that to the % of homes with dogs. it would be more complicated than that, but that's the general idea and you could probably have a number worth looking at.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:22 PM

Quote:
2. - yeah, what a silly process we have of ensuring that someone is definitely guilty before executing them. what are we? some sort of civilized democracy?!
that's a funny thing to say. It assumes that our process is the only process that could ensure that a person found guilty is really guilty and there is no way to cut costs. im no expert but I doubt that is the case. determining guilt shouldn't be as costly or time consuming as supporting a man throughout his entire life.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:22 PM

Quote:
that's a funny concept. she is completely at his mercy so how is it worse than she may have a chance to grab a gun?
because, if she had a gun, and the criminal gets it, and she gets shot.....she's worse off. honestly, for how terrifying it was to see this, and i'm sure traumatic on the child and the mother - she is alive, with some lost jewlery, and an unharmed daughter. I'd take a page out of some of the boston victims books who, when asked if they were upset about not having their legs, responded emphatically that they were happy to be alive.

a gun in this particular situation would have been very unlikely to help. and though the biometric gun safes are a nice theory - i'd seriously doubt people would have one installed in every room of their house.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:24 PM

Quote:
there is a dead person who illegally entered a home and my sweet innocent wife and daughter. while im sure in nj it wont be without a hassle, I think we would be gtg.
so then take that risk. not me or my family.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:25 PM

Quote:
because, if she had a gun, and the criminal gets it, and she gets shot.....she's worse off.
he couldn't rape and kill her even if he doesn't have a gun? I guess the concept is that throwing the gun in there increases the chances of her being murdered. still, she is completely at the guys mercy and id rather her have the chance to fight back than have to hope he doesn't kill my wife.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:35 PM

146 posts, read 624,227 times
The only preventative measure in my opinon in this case is a mean dog - not the little ones that runs away. I am not ant-gun, but with kids, they'd be locked away triple times and then how much time do you have to go and get it anyway?

Meanwhile seems to me they will not catch this guy. On camera, finger prints everwhere..and didn't look to be running - yet it's a cold trail. Great job MPD.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:37 PM

Quote:
so then take that risk. not me or my family.
you realize you are saying that you would rather take the risk of the perp doing whatever he wants to your wife/child rather than having her kill the perp thus preventing harm to her and the child?

I suppose your real issue isn't the shooting, but the mere existence of a gun in the home. I don't feel comfortable opting to trust the perp to not kill my wife more than trusting that my wife will make the right choice with using the gun. I would always want a fighting chance at survival and I believe my wife would want one also.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:37 PM
PPL

95 posts, read 151,609 times
Quote:
couple of things:

1. it's brutal, but it's an assault and a robbery - you really want that punishable by death?
2. pay for him to live in jail forever? do you know how expensive the death penalty is?
3. i'm not a fan of torture so i wouldn't skin him - but i wouldn't mind seeing him get a beating of his own.
4. death is an easy way off. i'd rather see him rot in jail with lack of freedom.
1. Yes, he used excessive and brutal force.
2. no life in prison.
3. bad + bad <> good
4. no, as tax payer we can't afford it.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:43 PM

1,942 posts, read 3,292,644 times
Quote:
where do you think the gun should be? if you spend a lot of the day in the family room, you should have a gun in the family room. just keep it in a fingerprint safe. why would you have a gun upstairs in the bedroom and nothing in the family room where you are going to be much of the day?
I keep my Benelli close by...doesn't require much of an aim to take down the home invader. if she were trained in gun use, it would've been the first thing she grabbed when she heard a noise and then when she saw him in her home she would've already known that she has every right to defend herself, home and children so she would've fired on sight. A trained gun owner knows how to operate their weapon and how to respond to a threat. others make it sound like if she got the gun for a xmas gift, but never took it out of the box and then decided to grab it that day without any training, the whole thing would've backfired on her (no pun intended). Well, in that instance, yes probably so. but, in the case where someone is trained in HD and how to use a gun, the perp is typically picked up shortly following the illegal entry by the morgue's meat wagon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey