U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 04-06-2011, 12:26 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,246,135 times
Overall in my opinion, North NJ and way towns/NJ gov't operates is inefficient and just not friendly to young professionals or young couple starting out unless you're high flier bringing in six or very close to six figures individually. NJ is good fit for folks bit later in their career or young family with young children of school age but rest of us.

When I first moved to Palisades Park from Bayside I needed to go get parking permit for the town as I was getting my files ready to switch my driver's license and then change car insurance. What I learned very annoyingly is that town clerk didn't open until 9:30 and closed at 4pm only during weekdays.

Just to get a temporary parking permit, I had to take sometime off in the morning. Not only that they were giving me 2 week pass saying I need to get it all switched over...except this was week of Thanksgiving so I had to haggle to get a temporary pass for a month. After thanksgiving I got my files ready, went to DMV and experienced something like njguy did. Eventually I got nj plate, license, insurance...and had to take time off in the morning again just so I can go get my perm parking permit.

After a year and learned my way around NJ better. I moved to a better town and I had to do something similar to get that town's parking permit. Then I got married and moved to a bigger place in different town. Except this time I got fed up so we moved into unit with private parking.

Granted this all took me probably 8 hours of my life but it's 8 hours that didn't need to be spent like that.

In addition, after I got married we were seriously interested in buying a place. Had low six figure downpayment ready, have great FICO scores, no debt, and our combined salary is low six figure. What I learned very quickly is that while school districts in many places are good compared to most places in the five NY boroughs. Homeowners were very heavily taxed in form of property tax to fund the township even if school district was bad. My wife and I don't have plans to start children soon and the high property tax in North NJ made it pretty much no sense for us to buy right now or be able to afford 2bedroom within our comfort level.

My parents who are both retired were interested in moving to North NJ to be near us and large Korean population in Fort Lee but property tax turn killed that idea.

I think these are some of the reasons why people leave NJ and stay out for good or come back to start family or when they are more settled.

I never lived in Central or South NJ so I can't comment about those areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 04-07-2011, 07:58 AM

6 posts, read 9,793 times
We are a young-ish family, and we are leaving NJ for a few reasons:
1. Cost of living. I really love NJ, I do. But honestly, it is fast paced here, everyone is busy all the time, and that is all because everyone has to work so much to make ends meet. I am not moving so I can get a McMansion. In fact, when I look for houses in VA, which is where we are moving, the large ones kinda scare me. We currently make do in a little cozy 2 bedroom. Sometime it gets tight, but we have learned we just can't have too much stuff. And that is better for our wallets, our well being and the environment. Because everyone is so busy, I don't get a real sense of community here. I like my neighbors, I like the people I encounter, I just don't see anyone stopping and smelling the roses very much. I don't want to raise my daughter like that. I am not leaving NJ so I can sit on my butt. I want to be productive. But here, it feels like the only way to make money is to either be a small business owner and work yourself to death, or to work for some big corporation. I do that latter, and let me tell you, I can't do it anymore.
2. Tying into #1, more family friendly activities- it may sound crazy, since you would think that there would be more to do here in NJ (we are in NNJ, near NYC) but all my friends in other states seem to have much more to do with their kids. It seems a lot less crowded and pleasant too. Here in NJ any fun thing you do with the kids on a weekend is going to be a complete madhouse. I really can't do the crowds anymore. I am always scared I am going to lose my daughter in the crowd.
3. this brings me to #3, which is less dense population. I need to spread out a little more. I pay $7100 a year on taxes for a 50x100 lot. and I love it here. and I garden the hell out of my little lot. But the neighbors can see every thing I do, since we are all on top of eachother. Even with a 6 foot privacy fence, the 2 story houses next door get a great view of my garden. The traffic is crazy here and can happen at any time of the day. and there are just too many people squeezed in to too little space. These areas weren't planned for that, the roads are narrow, the schools are getting crowded. There are just too many people here!

Unread 04-07-2011, 07:59 AM

6 posts, read 9,793 times
oh and one more thing, since I have a toddler, even though I grew up loving the city, going into the city for fun, culture, shows, you name it, I never get there anymore. So why pay for the proximity when I never use it. My parents and family are here, I can come back and visit!

Unread 04-07-2011, 08:01 AM

1,528 posts, read 1,769,119 times
People are moving because of DMV and parking permits?

Unread 04-07-2011, 08:19 AM
PDD

5,393 posts, read 4,600,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonym267 View Post
I read somewhere that some 51% of NJ residents want to leave. Why are they leaving and where are they commonly moving to? I live in Charlotte NC and it seems like we hav alot of NJ transplants.
Lots of reasons,

No jobs for middle class factory workers. Used to be lots of work but all those industries moved South and then moved East, Far East.

A lot if NJ resident have no idea about all the industry that was in NJ and has moved on. Automobile and truck manufacturing, chemicals, textiles, appliances just to name a few. A lot of people who worked in those industries are retired (including myself) but with the high cost of living have moved out of NJ.

Lots of people who were factory workers now find themselves either out of work or forced to take minimum wage jobs.
Many uneducated, unemployed find themselves on welfare rolls and instead of paying taxes they are collecting taxes.( those people were employable before industry moved away)

And where are they moving? To the same state where you live. COL is cheaper.

Unread 04-07-2011, 08:59 AM

1,041 posts, read 1,246,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann77 View Post
People are moving because of DMV and parking permits?
No, it's an example of gov't inefficiencies and when you add that onto the real big issues like high living cost and too many small towns in North NJ. It's a turn off.

I'm just pointing out things in my opinion make living in North NJ tough. Personally the past 4 years I've grown to like NJ very much, suburb life near NYC and good proximity to just about everything, especially parks and water.

If I was more mature in my career, making more money, and about to start or started having children, NJ is great place. But I'm not in that category so I'm moving out and will probably be back later in few years when I am in that category. Then move out when my children no longer need the public education system.

Unread 04-07-2011, 09:42 AM

1,528 posts, read 1,769,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
L.
Many uneducated, unemployed find themselves on welfare rolls and instead of paying taxes they are collecting taxes.( those people were employable before industry moved away)

And where are they moving? To the same state where you live. COL is cheaper.
Bingo.

Unread 04-07-2011, 12:54 PM

10,552 posts, read 6,906,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InSearchofForeverHome View Post
We are a young-ish family, and we are leaving NJ for a few reasons:
1. Cost of living. I really love NJ, I do. But honestly, it is fast paced here, everyone is busy all the time, and that is all because everyone has to work so much to make ends meet. I am not moving so I can get a McMansion. In fact, when I look for houses in VA, which is where we are moving, the large ones kinda scare me. We currently make do in a little cozy 2 bedroom. Sometime it gets tight, but we have learned we just can't have too much stuff. And that is better for our wallets, our well being and the environment. Because everyone is so busy, I don't get a real sense of community here. I like my neighbors, I like the people I encounter, I just don't see anyone stopping and smelling the roses very much. I don't want to raise my daughter like that. I am not leaving NJ so I can sit on my butt. I want to be productive. But here, it feels like the only way to make money is to either be a small business owner and work yourself to death, or to work for some big corporation. I do that latter, and let me tell you, I can't do it anymore.
2. Tying into #1, more family friendly activities- it may sound crazy, since you would think that there would be more to do here in NJ (we are in NNJ, near NYC) but all my friends in other states seem to have much more to do with their kids. It seems a lot less crowded and pleasant too. Here in NJ any fun thing you do with the kids on a weekend is going to be a complete madhouse. I really can't do the crowds anymore. I am always scared I am going to lose my daughter in the crowd.
3. this brings me to #3, which is less dense population. I need to spread out a little more. I pay $7100 a year on taxes for a 50x100 lot. and I love it here. and I garden the hell out of my little lot. But the neighbors can see every thing I do, since we are all on top of eachother. Even with a 6 foot privacy fence, the 2 story houses next door get a great view of my garden. The traffic is crazy here and can happen at any time of the day. and there are just too many people squeezed in to too little space. These areas weren't planned for that, the roads are narrow, the schools are getting crowded. There are just too many people here!
if you don't mind me asking, where in NJ do you live? i spend my weekends going to various parks to hike or bike or take my dog to the park. my neighbors are close to me also, but i have nice trees and landscaping to offer privacy, beyond my 6 ft fence.

traffic...can't help you there.

but i agree with a lot of what you're saying. i'm happy here for now though as a young married couple with a new child. i see myself here at least 10 more years, then maybe move back to PA. depends on my career decisions of course.

Unread 04-07-2011, 01:05 PM

10,552 posts, read 6,906,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babo111 View Post
Overall in my opinion, North NJ and way towns/NJ gov't operates is inefficient and just not friendly to young professionals or young couple starting out unless you're high flier bringing in six or very close to six figures individually. NJ is good fit for folks bit later in their career or young family with young children of school age but rest of us.

When I first moved to Palisades Park from Bayside I needed to go get parking permit for the town as I was getting my files ready to switch my driver's license and then change car insurance. What I learned very annoyingly is that town clerk didn't open until 9:30 and closed at 4pm only during weekdays.

Just to get a temporary parking permit, I had to take sometime off in the morning. Not only that they were giving me 2 week pass saying I need to get it all switched over...except this was week of Thanksgiving so I had to haggle to get a temporary pass for a month. After thanksgiving I got my files ready, went to DMV and experienced something like njguy did. Eventually I got nj plate, license, insurance...and had to take time off in the morning again just so I can go get my perm parking permit.

After a year and learned my way around NJ better. I moved to a better town and I had to do something similar to get that town's parking permit. Then I got married and moved to a bigger place in different town. Except this time I got fed up so we moved into unit with private parking.

Granted this all took me probably 8 hours of my life but it's 8 hours that didn't need to be spent like that.

In addition, after I got married we were seriously interested in buying a place. Had low six figure downpayment ready, have great FICO scores, no debt, and our combined salary is low six figure. What I learned very quickly is that while school districts in many places are good compared to most places in the five NY boroughs. Homeowners were very heavily taxed in form of property tax to fund the township even if school district was bad. My wife and I don't have plans to start children soon and the high property tax in North NJ made it pretty much no sense for us to buy right now or be able to afford 2bedroom within our comfort level.

My parents who are both retired were interested in moving to North NJ to be near us and large Korean population in Fort Lee but property tax turn killed that idea.

I think these are some of the reasons why people leave NJ and stay out for good or come back to start family or when they are more settled.

I never lived in Central or South NJ so I can't comment about those areas.
wait, you have a 6 figure downpayment, but can't afford a mortgage + tax in NJ? yet, you think paying rent you don't contribute to your landlord's property tax payments? you think your landlord just eats that cost out of the goodness of his/her heart?

i purchased a home in West Orange, notorious for bad taxes, and i'm paying less in mortgage plus taxes than i was for rent at my apartment! you sound like you have some other issues to overcome if this is going to work out for you.

Unread 04-07-2011, 01:18 PM

3,597 posts, read 5,255,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
wait, you have a 6 figure downpayment, but can't afford a mortgage + tax in NJ? yet, you think paying rent you don't contribute to your landlord's property tax payments? you think your landlord just eats that cost out of the goodness of his/her heart?

i purchased a home in West Orange, notorious for bad taxes, and i'm paying less in mortgage plus taxes than i was for rent at my apartment! you sound like you have some other issues to overcome if this is going to work out for you.
He sounds pretty chunked up to me. LOL Low 6 figure down payment, no kids, they make 6 figures. Many young families would be thrilled with that scenario. I forgot this is Jersey, WE,(and i said we) love to complain, thats part of being a Jersian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey