Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 08:07 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,688,247 times

Advertisements

This is 'Murica Goddammit! I'm a 'Murican! I should be able to drive how I want, when I want, where I want! ME ME ME!!! FREEDOM BABY!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 08:18 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,873,038 times
People need to stop playing traffic enforcer from their vehicles. If someone wants to pass, weave, whatever, its not your place to enforce the law.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:46 AM

5,772 posts, read 16,586,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofagunk View Post
personally, it gives me pleasure to trap someone in the left that is weaving in and out of lanes. These are the people that cause accidents, sadly, it is usually NOT them that have the accident. They just cause them. BTW, if someone is tailgating you at a distance that you are not comfortable with, then just slow down until the distance is a safe one.
That kind of directly makes you one of the drivers this law is about. It is not anyone's business to trap anybody on the road, except fuzzolini (LEO). Driving and cars are not a video game. Show some courtesy and do the RIGHT thing. There will be a time you will need to pass and will appreciate being able to do so efficiently and safely.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:51 AM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
What did she think when she passed all those "Keep Right, Pass Left" signs? That they were meant to be a helpful suggestion rather than a mandate?
I have no idea. I suspect this particular woman's face is next to "Airhead" in the dictionary.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:46 AM

1,620 posts, read 3,773,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
That kind of directly makes you one of the drivers this law is about. It is not anyone's business to trap anybody on the road, except fuzzolini (LEO). Driving and cars are not a video game. Show some courtesy and do the RIGHT thing. There will be a time you will need to pass and will appreciate being able to do so efficiently and safely.
didn't say I did it in the left lane. If I am in the middle and someone is tailgating me at an unsafe distance, then they smart thing to do is slow down so they do not ram you if you have to slow down.

There are jerks that tailgate when you are doing 75 in the middle lane of a 65PMH 3 lane road. That is not safe, so the make it safe I slow down.

same thing is I am in a single lane road. Not going to get hit because someone else cant follow at a safe distance

Old 07-01-2013, 12:40 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,625,652 times
I recently had someone blocking the passing lane at just under the speed limit with no one in the middle or right lanes. When I finally went to pass in the middle lane (after waiting for about 1 mile or more) she actually sped up and swerved at me when I went to pass. These people should be brought up on charges, not ticketed.

I always think back to the ridiculous and senseless reasons that people give on these threads (they come up once or twice a year) about why they intentionally block the passing lane. They relay the self-important delusion that they are maintaining safety among a herd of maniacs, without a clue that they are the obstacles that increase the speeding and weaving that they complain about.

To tell the truth I think it's for nothing more than the ego gratification of having the control of keeping someone behind them and not 'allowing' them to pass. Simple minds, simple pleasures.

Old 07-01-2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees1212 View Post
Yeah, but there are instances when I'm passing in the left lane, going 10+ over the limit, AND I'M STILL being tailgated. The person behind me simply wants to go 30 over so what should I do? Pass faster?
Complete your pass safely, then yield to the person behind you. The passing lane is meant to be a 'release valve', not a circumvent.

Old 07-01-2013, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
Something is wrong here. I don't care if it's against the law. So is Sodomy, butt I like a nice one every now and then.

Old 07-01-2013, 03:09 PM

802 posts, read 1,682,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmmadude View Post
Complete your pass safely, then yield to the person behind you. The passing lane is meant to be a 'release valve', not a circumvent.
That's obviously easy to say in theory, but there are situations in which you might be passing multiple cars in the right lane, and the pass might take a little longer than the person behind you wants.

Also, I'm frustrated when I come up behind a left lane hog, and then I end up getting tailgated by people who are being "blocked" by the same driver in front of me. I'm not going to move over since I'll then not be able to get back in the left lane (since a line has formed there), but at the same time, I'm not really in the mood to be followed at such a short distance. So in that sense, I'm all for the steeper fines

Old 07-01-2013, 03:43 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,088,863 times
What's crazy is this: in Germany (and to an extent Spain), the concept is executed so well it's like second nature. Other than the somewhat small highways it really is a pleasure driving. I think it's because there's no 'race' to be in front or ahead of another driver.

How many times have you seen a car jump out from an intersection just to go so sloooooowww? Or when someone is going super slow in the left lane, and finally when you get to pass them on the right they speed up because they really have to 'keep you there'...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey