Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 11:29 AM

24 posts, read 46,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
It is hard to live here without a car. The good news is that based on what I've seen on the road - they give licenses to everyone in NJ!

Fair Haven is my favorite town right now, if I were moving again I would look there. More expensive area though. There is a nice little area with shops that seems pretty walkable to me. Atlantic Highlands also has a nice shopping area. Parts of Middletown too, maybe. Hazlet - not much at all.

The ferry is expensive but fast, comfortable and extremely reliable. If you can't do the ferry, I think I would look for something closer to the city. The commute from this area by train or bus takes its toll. I did it for a few years and my husband still does it. Life would be much better if he spent less time commuting.
Thanks Irish Eyes - my hubby also is ageing rapidly from the commute so definitely will try and see if we can do the ferry - thanks for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 11:43 AM

24 posts, read 48,105 times
BritishEscape, I read your post on the General Moving forum explaining that you and your husband are British and I posted this on that forum, but I will post it here too.

Did you check the Immigration requirements prior to searching for jobs here? I am an immigrant myself, and for all I know, the only way your husband can legally be hired here is if his immigration work visa request is sponsored by his employer.

In other words, your husband cannot just move here and look for a job. If a company here wants your husband, they will request the immigration visa for him, and as part of this process, your visa and you child's would be processed as well.

After your family's legal immigration process is sorted out, as soon as you get your visa, then you should immediately apply to get you SSN (Social Security Number), as this document is absolutely necessary to obtain drivers license, open bank accounts, obtain a mortgage, etc.

If you want more information, I suggest you post your situation on the Legal Immigration forum, there are many posters there with knowledge of the US Immigration laws and they can help you. Good luck!

Old 07-03-2013, 12:50 PM

1,620 posts, read 3,772,956 times
a "snobish" town basd on the view that person. I have seen that everywhere I live. Someone pushes their budget and end up being "house poor" in a town, and just because others that live there make more and can enjoy more things (be it a pool, a maid, a 2nd car, lawn service, vacation, ...) they are considered snobs. If you do not want to be surrounded by snobs, but in a town where people have similar incomes to you. Then everyone will just be "normal" and you will be the "snob" to the other peson that cant really afford the town

Old 07-03-2013, 05:54 PM

667 posts, read 1,744,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofagunk View Post
a "snobish" town basd on the view that person. I have seen that everywhere I live. Someone pushes their budget and end up being "house poor" in a town, and just because others that live there make more and can enjoy more things (be it a pool, a maid, a 2nd car, lawn service, vacation, ...) they are considered snobs. If you do not want to be surrounded by snobs, but in a town where people have similar incomes to you. Then everyone will just be "normal" and you will be the "snob" to the other peson that cant really afford the town
exactly

I mean the thread itself can be interpreted as snobbish. Simple. Find the place that you like based on what you think you'd like for your family (remember, you can't hand pick your neighbors). A place, where as sonofagunk mentions, fits YOU (schools, personal income, work, religion, activities, etc). Once you match most of your criteria then go for it. All else will come.

Old 07-03-2013, 05:57 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,075,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfsr1544 View Post
exactly

I mean the thread itself can be interpreted as snobbish. Simple. Find the place that you like based on what you think you'd like for your family (remember, you can't hand pick your neighbors). A place, where as sonofagunk mentions, fits YOU (schools, personal income, work, religion, activities, etc). Once you match most of your criteria then go for it. All else will come.
I've never lived there but apparently there's still remnants of a classist society in England that we have but to a much smaller extent. Titles, connections, proper schools, etc. that mean much more to them than they would to an American.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:04 PM

667 posts, read 1,744,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
I've never lived there but apparently there's still remnants of a classist society in England that we have but to a much smaller extent. Titles, connections, proper schools, etc. that mean much more to them than they would to an American.
I've never lived but have been there plenty of times. And yes, you're right it is a 'classist' society. However, the core behavior of snobbery is world wide and independent of where you live. I've lived in poverty ridden sectors around the world where you would never think there would be a snob and low and behold, it's almost worst! - hence my advice

Old 07-04-2013, 10:31 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,096,890 times
My definition of snob is when you carry an attitude of being superior to your neighbors rather than seeing each other as individuals each with a contribution to the community. Its not about how much you earn, spend or enjoy.. rather how you treat your neighbors. I'm actually a high income earner in the area (probably more so than some of the snobs) but I would never act like some of the snobs. IMO, its a natural tendency when you mix the high, fast paced, competitive nature of NYC life with being in a community that you really have no personal interest or stake and have the intention of grasping for their NYC roots. Some NYCer's are great at becoming a part of our community and truly were interested in a different pace of life.

No major event has demonstrated the differences in attitude than when Hurricane Sandy ravished our area. Certain individuals were all about self sustaining their own means and others were out to assist their neighbors. I have two neighbors who traditionally don't get along but one was more than happy to share a line to their generator to the other out of being a good member of the community. Others syphoned gas out of their cars to keep the shared generators going. Yet others multiple vehicles fully gassed and ready to go simply because they were more concerned about getting to work the next day rather than their neighbors having heat.

I'm fortunate, all my neighbors are great. One of our closest neighbors I would classify as relatively wealthy. They recently moved to the area from out of state (not NYC). They are awesome....

As I said... its all about what you bring to the community. You can choose to bring an open mind and good intentions...

Last edited by usayit; 07-04-2013 at 10:40 AM..

Old 07-04-2013, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
My definition of snob is when you carry an attitude of being superior to your neighbors rather than seeing each other as individuals each with a contribution to the community. Its not about how much you earn, spend or enjoy
exactly, "snob" is defined by the person CALLING THE OTHER PERSON A SNOB.

If you just accept people for who they are, then there are no snobs around you. If you judge others because YOU THINK they think that they are better than you, you are probably surrounded by snobs (and it is probably the least of your problems)

Old 07-04-2013, 12:54 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,096,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofagunk View Post
exactly, "snob" is defined by the person CALLING THE OTHER PERSON A SNOB.
Sorry... I don't really agree with this logic.

A person being mean to another person is only a "jerk" or an "a$$" because some other person is calling that person a jerk or an "a$$"???

If it walks like a duck and sounds like a duck... it's a duck.

Old 07-05-2013, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Sorry... I don't really agree with this logic.

A person being mean to another person is only a "jerk" or an "a$$" because some other person is calling that person a jerk or an "a$$"???

If it walks like a duck and sounds like a duck... it's a duck.
Sorry, didnt realize that you were the one that defined what a snob was. Must suck to be you, you are probably surrounded by snobs in every town that you cannot afford.

I must just be lucky and have met very few (even living in one of the "snob" towns that were mentioned)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey