Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2013, 02:03 PM

3 posts, read 9,609 times

Advertisements

Hi Everybody,
I just accepted a new job in NYC, and would like to buy a home in NJ. I realize that many popular suggestions like Montclair, Cranford, or Downtown Jersey City are not an option with our limited budget. Alternatively we have started looking at Roselle Park, Bloomfield, and Bayonne
My sales job means that I will only be able to document NC salary, and my initial base, for a mortgage but we would be able to afford remodeling or Catholic Schools.

I guess I'm most interested in towns that you feel are getting better, and have better upside

Where are you coming from? Raleigh NC

Why are you moving? New job.

Where will you be working ?
Soho/ Nolita, Lafayette between Prince & Houston

Will you buy or rent?
Hoping to Buy

What is your budget? $250-$300k
We are fine for larger down payment, but limited by initial monthly income with new job

What kind of place are you looking for ?
Old houses with Character, fixer uppers with original detail, closes to parks and train

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ?
Yes, wife 2 year old, and dog

Do you need/want good public schools?
This would be ideal, but realize this might be the most difficult budget buster.
Might be nice to find school district that is improving, if such a thing exists

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in
Artsy, diverse, mix of young and old. We like safe old neighborhoods would prefer to live closer to an Italian deli & Grocery than a new Whole Foods. We currently live in a diverse, up and coming neighborhood close to shopping and on a bus line. We like the YMCA not fancy health clubs.

List three things that are important to you in order of importance.
Commute, under 1.5 hours
Safety
Schools ( at least crime and schools are getting better not worse )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 02:34 PM

256 posts, read 572,712 times
Bayonne, Harrison, Kearney, non-downtown JC...if you want to live close to the city. Especially if you're going to use Catholic schools. Bayonne and Harrison are probably the safest of those.

If you're willing to push out more, maybe some Bayshore towns would work along the NJ Coast Line, like South Amboy, Aberdeen/Matawan, Keyport...there is some walkability there as well.

That budget is tough in NJ for a place with a family in a decent area. If you're willing to look at townhomes, you can get into some nicer/fancier areas like Summit or along the 139 bus line in Monmouth County.

Old 07-08-2013, 02:49 PM

2,535 posts, read 6,663,711 times
You can get a small fixer upper in Rutherford for $300K. Good schools, great commute and very safe. Great town altogether. Currently 10 listings under $300K. Fair Lawn is another good option for same reasons as above. Currently 10 active listings under budget. The houses will be small and most likely on busier streets for this budget but there is no reason to relegate yourself to a less desirable town simply because you can't buy the nicest house on the block, your budget is still respectable.

Old 07-08-2013, 03:13 PM

857 posts, read 2,001,736 times
I've gotten skewered in the past for suggesting this, but will anyway. Look at Union Township (Union County). It's exactly what you describe:
"Old houses with Character, fixer uppers with original detail, closes to parks and train"

Great commute, centrally located. Very Safe. Elementary schools are generally good on the east side of town. High School is so-so because that's when the two sides of town are mixed. Most people have no problem with this. OThers choose to send their kids to private school.

Forgot to add re: diversity-
Union is traditionally the first stop for waves of immigrants as they 'upgrade' out of newark. So you can find some old-school German and Polish butchers and Italian bakeries from the 60s/70s, Portuguese Bakeries and Coffee shops from the 80s/90s, and now, some Brazillian bbq/rodizio are popping up.

Old 07-09-2013, 03:22 PM

3 posts, read 9,609 times
Thanks everybody, I'll be sure to check out Harrison, Rutherford and Union.

Rutherford looks really nice, and the schools look to be highly rated...

Thanks JY, The food in Union sounds amazing, right up my alley
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey