Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 11:36 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
lying and breaking the law a bad thing? what was i thinking!?
Just curious. Do you think all of your tax returns have always been 100% accurate? Never missed an online purchase? Or an out of state purchase?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 11:43 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,395,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Just curious. Do you think all of your tax returns have always been 100% accurate? Never missed an online purchase? Or an out of state purchase?
in the category of online or out of state taxes, yes, they are accurate. i save my receipts from merchants that don't charge sales tax (which for me would really only be amazon). but...they aren't required to be 100% accurate. you report an estimate. I'm fairly anal retentive about my personal finances, so I know i'm not the norm, but my tax returns are highly likely to be accurate. everyone makes mistakes, but that's drastically different then intentionally not reporting something simply to avoid paying the taxes.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:47 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Good work.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:10 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
lying and breaking the law a bad thing? what was i thinking!?
laws change, many laws are challenged; you probably break some laws every single day. so the notion that "breaking a law" is automatically "wrong" seems pretty silly to me.

Old 07-24-2013, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
laws change, many laws are challenged; you probably break some laws every single day. so the notion that "breaking a law" is automatically "wrong" seems pretty silly to me.
your example is different than mine. i'm speaking about knowingly and intentionally breaking the law. i'm sure there are a number of people out there who simply aren't aware that you are supposed to report out of state and online purchases (though, you're responsible for reading the IRS forms, and it states it clearly, so that wouldn't do you much good in an audit). There's nothing "wrong" with those people who are simply ignorant of the law...they're not malicious in their intent, they just don't know.

but if i am PO'd at my wife, and i didn't know it's against the law to murder her, and i murdered her....my legal argument isn't going to be too good now is it?

but for sales tax, the people who knowingly avoid that tax, yes i do believe that's wrong. i seriously doubt i break some laws every single day, but it's always possible. it sounds like you definitely do though, so keep on keepin' on i guess.

Old 07-24-2013, 02:35 PM

Quote:
your example is different than mine. i'm speaking about knowingly and intentionally breaking the law. i'm sure there are a number of people out there who simply aren't aware that you are supposed to report out of state and online purchases (though, you're responsible for reading the IRS forms, and it states it clearly, so that wouldn't do you much good in an audit). There's nothing "wrong" with those people who are simply ignorant of the law...they're not malicious in their intent, they just don't know.

but if i am PO'd at my wife, and i didn't know it's against the law to murder her, and i murdered her....my legal argument isn't going to be too good now is it?

but for sales tax, the people who knowingly avoid that tax, yes i do believe that's wrong. i seriously doubt i break some laws every single day, but it's always possible. it sounds like you definitely do though, so keep on keepin' on i guess.
my example isnt different. i said 3 things; you chose to focus on the 1 of them that didnt specifically apply here. besides that, it wasnt necessary for them to apply in this specific instance. the point was that responding to someone with "breaking the law is bad" isnt valid. the law isnt automatically "right."

Old 07-24-2013, 02:53 PM

Quote:
my example isnt different. i said 3 things; you chose to focus on the 1 of them that didnt specifically apply here. besides that, it wasnt necessary for them to apply in this specific instance. the point was that responding to someone with "breaking the law is bad" isnt valid. the law isnt automatically "right."
no, i'll still stand by my initial statement. if you are knowingly cheating on your taxes, it's bad. whether you agree with the law is besides the point. if you disagree with paying sales tax, then by all means do everything in your power to get the law on sales tax changed. but it's the law of the land you live in, so if you knowingly break that law, that's bad.

you love moving the goal posts in every conversation don't you?

if you don't like paying sales tax, move to a state that doesn't levy it. until then, as long as you are knowingly cheating on your taxes, that's wrong, in my opinion.

i said: "nah, you're over the edge...you are breaking the law. congratulations on being a tax cheat."

you said "I find it interesting that that's supposed to be seen as a bad thing."

cheating on your taxes is a bad thing. just because you disagree with the level of taxes doesn't mean you ok to not pay those taxes. get the laws changed, by all means, but as long as you stay in the place where you live, you're agreeing to live by the same laws as your neighbors.

You forgoing paying those taxes means the honest people like me pay more than we otherwise would have to. So yeah....that's bad.

Old 07-24-2013, 03:00 PM

Quote:
cheating on your taxes is a bad thing.
i disagree on that and the legality of it isnt significant to whether or not i think its a "bad thing." i think doing something illegal adds to your risk of having legal issues; but legality doesnt make things "right" or "good" and illegality doesnt make things "bad" or "wrong." it just makes them illegal.

Old 07-24-2013, 04:05 PM

Quote:
i disagree on that and the legality of it isnt significant to whether or not i think its a "bad thing." i think doing something illegal adds to your risk of having legal issues; but legality doesnt make things "right" or "good" and illegality doesnt make things "bad" or "wrong." it just makes them illegal.
that's a great way to justify it to yourself.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:27 PM

Quote:
that's a great way to justify it to yourself.
I don't think I do it enough that id feel the need to justify it to myself. I just think avoiding taxes is a good thing and I support anyone that does it. I only take issue with people who would complain about people not paying enough while they are trying their best to limit their own taxes.

I do have an issue with the no sales tax for internet businesses but it has nothing to do with not giving away more money to corrupt politicians. I think its unfair to physical stores that have a competitive disadvantage. so lets just make it the responsibility of the buyer to pay the tax at some later date for both physical and internet stores.

Last edited by CaptainNJ; 07-24-2013 at 07:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey