Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 07:12 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,208,157 times

Advertisements

Of course most people aren't going to stop driving because their license is suspended. Most people who drive live in places where getting around other ways just isn't practical. Not driving means not working (though sometimes they issue a restricted license for this), not shopping, pretty much not doing anything. So are you supposed to sell your house or break your lease and move to an urban area if your license is suspended?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2013, 09:03 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,682,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Right. People did not stop drinking and driving until the laws became as strict as they are. Heck, my friends and I used to drive after being in the clubs all night all the time back in the 80's. Now I would be afraid to have even a couple glasses of wine over dinner and drive. It didn't seem like a big deal then because back then law enforcement didn't seem to treat is as a big deal. I would bet that if they treated it the same as drunk driving (as stats bear out it is even more dangerous) with mandatory loss of license, people would stop doing it.
Same here. We used to go down Railroad ave in Ridgefield and our cars would be parked on both sides of the street, we would all have big blankets and folding chairs we would lay them out, blast heavy metal on our boom boxes (remember them?), drink beer/wine coolers and do tequila poppers all night then drive home. The cops would come and check on us every now and then and tell us to make sure we cleaned up or they couldn't let us hang out there anymore. They knew damn well none of us were even close to 21. It was such a different time. I used to get in to clubs before I was 21 because I had a fake employer ID from the city and I forged my baptismal certificate (I know, I'm going to hell!) as a back up and the bouncers at the door saw no harm in letting me in. Boy times have changed!

I had 4 drinks at a wedding last Saturday, I stopped drinking hours before I had to drive home, ate plenty and I was still paranoid. Back in the day I could be sh*tfaced and drove regularly without a care in the world. Perhaps some of it is just growing up but I think the consequences of that behavior also plays a huge role in my decision to no longer behave that way. We really didn't have consequences back then for it.

Old 07-18-2013, 04:36 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
So their loss of driving privileges did not stop them from driving did it?

I had a former brother in law who never stopped driving even though his license was suspended three times. His excuse was that was the only way to get to the bar.
No, but after they got caught they did. My point was I know 2 people who tried this, and both got caught relatively soon, so I believe it is not as easy to get away with long term as many think. Neither of them had to get pulled over to get caught, either. One had her license run in the Hi-Speedline parking lot (it was the first time she tried it, it was pouring rain and she drove 1/2 a mile to the train) the other had his license run while he was inside Wawa.

Old 07-18-2013, 06:05 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,624,105 times
Default He was drunk, but instead of going to jail, the cops gave him a ride home,

Can't do that anymore with all the cameras and cell phones. Now it's a ride to a jail cell.

Old 07-18-2013, 06:31 AM

9,322 posts, read 16,661,006 times
NY state is using large unmarked SUV's to watch specifically for people texting and on the phone while driving. We travel in our RV, which provides a good view of those texting and on the phone, and it appears to us that more and more people are doing it and they are all over the road. I cannot understand what is SO IMPORTANT that you have to have a conversation while you are driving or text someone. When we see someone texting or on the phone we let loose with our air horn.

Old 07-18-2013, 06:40 AM

91 posts, read 274,791 times
on way to work today saw cop cruiser driving and he was on his cell phone, who's gonna stop them? they are taking coffee orders on our dime..

Old 07-18-2013, 08:35 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,767,189 times
This is an example of that reckless driving. He could not be just high of marijuana, but he could also be texting during that time.
Deep condolence to the Cope's

Teen charged with texting while driving in fatal crash | Crime | ADN.com

Old 07-18-2013, 09:45 AM

807 posts, read 1,032,968 times
I was traveling west on 80 over the weekend. Up ahead I could see a car in the left lane traveling about 60 mph, well below the normal speeds on 80, causing a traffic jam behind it. As I approached, I see this middle ages woman texting. I about blew my lid. What a freakin moron, don't people realize how dangerous this is, or realize that there is a line forming behind her on the interstate!

I was very, very tempted to pull up in front of her and slam on my brakes. No doubt she would have plowed into me, but I guarantee it would put an end to her texting and driving. Now, please note I have a 10 year old pickup truck, so the damage to my truck would have been minimal, and it would have been her fault 100%.

Old 07-18-2013, 12:39 PM

1,787 posts, read 5,746,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
NY state is using large unmarked SUV's to watch specifically for people texting and on the phone while driving. We travel in our RV, which provides a good view of those texting and on the phone, and it appears to us that more and more people are doing it and they are all over the road. I cannot understand what is SO IMPORTANT that you have to have a conversation while you are driving or text someone. When we see someone texting or on the phone we let loose with our air horn.
When I do that, everyone tells me I'm number 1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey