U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-16-2013, 03:42 PM
 
12 posts, read 65,623 times
Reputation: 11

Advertisements

My husband has been offered a job in Manhattan and we're definitely not wanting to live in the city. Basically, I've noticed that Newark and it's surrounding areas have reasonable apartment costs for our budget. I just want to know which towns are the best for, most importantly, safety and efficiency for public commute to and from Manhattan. If I can even get someone who lives in or around Newark and travels to Manhattan and say...lives in a nice apartment, do tell me about that apartment and it's surrounding area! Right now it's me and my husband looking for a 1 bedroom apartment. We would LIKE it to be pet friendly, but obviously that is not top priority.

Thank you in advance for the advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-16-2013, 03:45 PM
 
12 posts, read 65,623 times
Reputation: 11
I'm also coming from South Carolina, and he is coming from England. We are completely and utterly brand new to this area!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2013, 05:53 PM
 
Location: The beautiful Garden State
2,683 posts, read 3,261,218 times
Reputation: 3528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelspaz View Post
My husband has been offered a job in Manhattan and we're definitely not wanting to live in the city. Basically, I've noticed that Newark and it's surrounding areas have reasonable apartment costs for our budget. I just want to know which towns are the best for, most importantly, safety and efficiency for public commute to and from Manhattan. If I can even get someone who lives in or around Newark and travels to Manhattan and say...lives in a nice apartment, do tell me about that apartment and it's surrounding area! Right now it's me and my husband looking for a 1 bedroom apartment. We would LIKE it to be pet friendly, but obviously that is not top priority.

Thank you in advance for the advice!
Newark is very definitely NOT a safe place to live. It's actually famous for the crime rate, although it is lower than some other New Jersey cities.

Irvington is even worse.

There is a reason why the rents are low.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2013, 06:11 PM
 
385 posts, read 929,767 times
Reputation: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyMemories View Post
Newark is very definitely NOT a safe place to live. It's actually famous for the crime rate, although it is lower than some other New Jersey cities.

Irvington is even worse.

There is a reason why the rents are low.
well said. some of the areas outside newark are good, minus irvington, and most of east orange and orange.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2013, 06:50 PM
 
6,909 posts, read 9,031,228 times
Reputation: 2856
Are there any kids? If not, why would you not want to live in NYC's boundaries? It does not have to be Manhattan. Look at Astoria, Forest Hills and Kew Gardens. Many young couples move to these neighborhoods and commute to Manhattan is easy by subway or commuter rail (Long Island Railroad). They offer shops, restaurants, cafes, bars, groceries (incl. organic), bookstores etc. Riverdale is also a nice neighborhood and offers a fast commute albeit less retail than the others I mentioned.

Last edited by Forest_Hills_Daddy; 07-16-2013 at 06:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2013, 07:15 PM
 
1,160 posts, read 1,226,798 times
Reputation: 483
If you look in the ironbound section of newark, that area is pretty safe and close to Newark Penn station. Some better options would be Harrison and Jersey City(grove st, journal sq, Newport) which are all near the PATH which will give you a quick commute to the city. With him coming from england, Harrison and ironbound are big on Soccer which might appeal to your husband as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2013, 07:24 PM
 
12 posts, read 65,623 times
Reputation: 11
I guess we're not as worried about fancy stuff like retail and restaurants, etc. We mostly just need a place that is affordable and in a good neighborhood. I know Newark isn't a very safe place, but like I also said, I'm very willing to live on the outskirts of Newark where there may be safer areas.

I'm pretty comfortable with rent around $1,000. A little over is fine. But nothing like $2,000 like I've seen in a lot of places closer to NY...that's why, Forest_Hills_Daddy, we don't want to live near Manhattan, because boarding costs are typically over the roof!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2013, 07:30 PM
 
12 posts, read 65,623 times
Reputation: 11
Found this apartment in Jamaica, Queens. Looks VERY promising! Anybody know it by any chance? Lol.

Belair Park 5 LLC Apartments - Jamaica, NY 11432 | Apartments for Rent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2013, 07:31 PM
 
Location: Randolph, NJ
4,074 posts, read 7,045,383 times
Reputation: 3231
Maybe Bayonne?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2013, 07:41 PM
 
6,909 posts, read 9,031,228 times
Reputation: 2856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelspaz View Post
I'm pretty comfortable with rent around $1,000. A little over is fine. But nothing like $2,000 like I've seen in a lot of places closer to NY...that's why, Forest_Hills_Daddy, we don't want to live near Manhattan, because boarding costs are typically over the roof!
You can find something (1BR) in your price range in Kew Gardens in Queens. It has a Long Island Railroad station as well as walkability to a subway stop. While it has some retail and dining, it is also adjacent to Forest Hills which as chain stores, casual restaurants and bars and other amenities.

Kew also has an artsy movie theater and a large park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top