Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 07:41 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,748,300 times

Advertisements

I see a number of options in Harrison.

north jersey apts/housing for rent classifieds "harrison path" - craigslist

i would also do that search using PATH as a keyword to find places near the PATH train.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 07:54 PM

12 posts, read 71,213 times
I'm looking on Google maps and recognize some places around Kew Gardens that I've really liked the prices of, like Jamaica, for example. Thanks for all the suggestions. Keep them coming if anyone else has anything different to add.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:04 PM

12 posts, read 71,213 times
I see Harrison is fairly close to Newark. Is Harrison considered a safe place to live considering Newarks infamous crime rate?

Old 07-16-2013, 08:12 PM

171 posts, read 416,384 times
Why not try Belleville?

Old 07-16-2013, 08:34 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,688,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
Maybe Bayonne?
Yeah, with a $1k budget that's about the best you're going to do. If you can.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:51 PM

2,750 posts, read 2,420,713 times
be care ful where you buy in Jamaica Queens

Old 07-16-2013, 09:04 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,307,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelspaz View Post
I'm looking on Google maps and recognize some places around Kew Gardens that I've really liked the prices of, like Jamaica, for example. Thanks for all the suggestions. Keep them coming if anyone else has anything different to add.
Kew Gardens is ok, but Jamaica is not. Avoid Jamaica. It's probably the least safe part of Queens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
Yeah, with a $1k budget that's about the best you're going to do. If you can.
I agree. Bayonne is probably the best value in that price range. Compared to the alternatives, it's the safest and it's reasonably close to NYC. It's priced well because despite the close distance to the city, getting there by transit can be a bit of a pain via light rail or bus. Harrison is ok.

West of Newark, places like Irvington and East Orange, Orange should be avoided. Just beyond them, Montclair, South Orange, Maplewood, etc. are very affluent and very expensive. From past research, one-bedroom apartments in these towns are well out of your price range. Your next option is probably apartment complexes farther out in the suburbs of Morris or Middlesex counties.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:08 PM

225 posts, read 352,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelspaz View Post
I see Harrison is fairly close to Newark. Is Harrison considered a safe place to live considering Newarks infamous crime rate?
Harrison is fine. Here is the thing about Newark. It does have a very high crime rate but much of that crime is heavily concentrated in the southern and western portions of the city. The areas that border Harrison are actually not bad and they're just starting to gentrify. You will get responses telling you that Newark is a dead city and you need to avoid it at all costs but that's just not accurate. Newark is still not your best option by any stretch of the imagination but you'd be fine living in an apartment in the Ironbound neighborhood for example. I know several people who have moved there in the past few years and they seem to be enjoying themselves. Still, if you can afford Harrison I'd look there first. I'd also check out Jersey City.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:21 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,307,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montycench View Post
I'd also check out Jersey City.
Warning about Jersey City, with $1000 budget, downtown is out of reach, as is most of Journal Square. If the OP is looking for safe, it will not be found in parts of JC where $1000 apartments are widely available.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:45 PM

225 posts, read 352,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Warning about Jersey City, with $1000 budget, downtown is out of reach, as is most of Journal Square. If the OP is looking for safe, it will not be found in parts of JC where $1000 apartments are widely available.
Good point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey