Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 10:34 PM

27 posts, read 399,964 times

Advertisements

I failed my first road test in Wayne, NJ because I hit the back cones parallel parking and I hit the curb while turning. Both of which I normally don't do while driving with my instructor or parents. The nerves got the best of me.

Does anyone have any experience in Rahway? Are you allowed to go during off hours to explore the course? I read somewhere that they put a gate up but I'm not sure. Please help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2013, 11:13 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,682,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonam716 View Post
I failed my first road test in Wayne, NJ because I hit the back cones parallel parking and I hit the curb while turning. Both of which I normally don't do while driving with my instructor or parents. The nerves got the best of me.

Does anyone have any experience in Rahway? Are you allowed to go during off hours to explore the course? I read somewhere that they put a gate up but I'm not sure. Please help!!
Going to different courses is probably not going to help you. You have to stop freaking out - it will only do further damage. You had access to the course where you took the test and now you know what they will have you do. It's a no brainer to return there and practice as much as you can doing what they asked you to do during the test. You have to relax - lots of people fail the first time and a majority of them fail because of nerves. Where you take the test isn't going to make a difference if you are completely freaking out. Go back to the course and gain your confidence. Since they don't leave the cones out find something else you can use in their place and keep going through the motions over and over until you can do them in your sleep. You have to get yourself to the point where you feel "I got this!" so you can go in there with no doubt you know what they're expecting and you know how to do it!

You CAN do this! Practice and relax!

Old 07-17-2013, 11:49 PM

I wanted to go back to Wayne where I took it the first time but the wait was just too long. The nearest appointment was for September 19 whereas Rahway had one for August 21. This sucks

Old 07-17-2013, 11:55 PM

And also part of the reason I failed in Wayne was because it was so narrow. The course was the size of a Lego block. My instructor said rahway is bigger so I would be better off.

Old 07-18-2013, 07:07 AM

98 posts, read 269,008 times
Sonam, an important lesson about life is taking responsibility...making up excuses that the course is "too narrow', "like Lego blocks", "I hit the curb because my parents weren't with me..." blah blah is not going to help your situation. You failed your driver's test, period. I don't care if you perceive the course as too narrow, too wide, the cones were the wrong color...who freakin' cares? Now do what you can to pass the next time. Asking about road tests in Rahway, Wayne, etc. won't help. If you've observed driving patterns out there, you'll come to realize that over 50% of the drivers don't belong out there...and they passed the test. You need to PRACTICE, especially at the course you're going to on days that driving tests aren't administered.

Old 07-18-2013, 07:31 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,626,395 times
Quote:
And also part of the reason I failed in Wayne was because it was so narrow. The course was the size of a Lego block. My instructor said rahway is bigger so I would be better off.
I'm surprised your instructor didn't suggest taking it down in Cape May so he can hit you up for even more money. Bottom line is if your not ready to operate a vehicle on New Jersey roadways and the state won't give you a license then they are doing something right for a change. You need to practice more and be confident when driving. My one daughter has been driving for nearly 15 years. She didn't get her license until she was 19 although she got her permit at 16. She has never had an accident (thankfully) and she is the most cautious driver on the road. If I had to rate her driving skills with 10 being the best. I'd rate her a 4. To this day she's petrified to drive in bad weather. If it takes you twenty tries, so be it. I don't see why you would have an issue with this. They are essentially protecting you and the motoring public from you.

Old 07-18-2013, 07:34 AM

2,105 posts, read 6,661,915 times
Quote:

was because it was so narrow
You better never plan on driving in Hoboken.

Old 07-18-2013, 07:50 AM

5,772 posts, read 16,584,927 times
If the waiting time to get retested is longer at Wayne I would go wherever I could get a shorter wait. Some exam locations use regular roads since they don't have an offroad location. Dover I know uses regular roads but I have no idea what the appointment times are.

Besides that concentrate on improving your skills and being relaxed, particularly with a person in uniform in the car with you. Get more used to driving and driving properly, and go to some unused parking lot set up some barriers or cones, practice parking, etc.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:34 AM

1,559 posts, read 2,150,444 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rscalzo View Post
You better never plan on driving in Hoboken.
Or in Japan where some of the side roads are half of what you have in Hoboken. Plus the driver side is on the right and you drive on the right side of the road....but I digress.

Old 07-18-2013, 09:38 AM

I don't plan on ever driving in Hoboken FYI. And definitely not Japan...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey