Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 09:07 PM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoYanks34 View Post
I wanted to go in there when I was at Asbury but I had my 3 1/2 year old niece with me and no way was I walking into an arcade with her!

I'll have to go back and check it out. It looked fun.
The guy at the entrance desk where I paid said that if he had his way, no one under 40 would be allowed in. Of course, he was kidding, but I went with my 21-year-old daughter and I beat her easily. Those young'uns didn't grow up with pinball. They only ever had that video stuff.

There were kids in there, but there were also plenty of adults. I wasn't the oldest, either. My daughter took a picture of me next to a 1958 machine (with a wooden interior). We were the same age!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 11:41 PM

5,771 posts, read 16,578,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Really?

So...if I went to Asbury Park, and I dared to wear a bathing suit on the beach...I would be arrested?

Really?

That was a short lived "stupid idea" that was dropped quickly.

Old 08-14-2013, 11:45 PM

5,771 posts, read 16,578,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus430 View Post
I was to Asbury Park yesterday (7/30/13) to walk the boardwalk and have a bite to eat. What is the story, all parking all over the place is metered????.
Pretty much after you get 3 blocks away from the beach the parking is free. Closer to the beach they have numbered spaces and you're supposed to go to one of the electronic parking devices, punch in your parking space number and pay something.
The 3 blocks with paid parking are short, for instance, just past the edge of Asbury Lanes a few feet is where the free parking starts.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:47 AM

50,716 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes! You pay for time--it was $10 for one hour, $15 for two, and I think there's an all-day price. Then you play all the machines you want. Each machine has a sign with the year it's from, who designed it, etc.

On the link there's a place to sign up and get coupons. I'm going back in the fall when the beach season is over.

BTW, I went to your neck of the woods yesterday. An old friend is visiting from CA and her parents live in Ocean City. Such a nice place.
That's an awesome deal! I wonder if "my" machine from the 70's is there, "Starz"? How fun! Glad you had a good time here!

Old 08-15-2013, 03:27 PM

512 posts, read 1,017,989 times
Last time i was in Asbury Park they had a lesbian volleyball tournament. Pretty Cool.

Definitely not the "Suburban with Kids" crowd. Probably not for "people who remember back in the day it used to be grand" crowd either. It is for the "Wow this beautiful, cool, hipster, gay, artist, young, foodie, and city oriented" crowd.

Old 08-15-2013, 03:41 PM

386 posts, read 871,667 times
Asbury is awesome.

Old 08-15-2013, 04:47 PM

1 posts, read 1,486 times
As most people have said here, Asbury Park is not what you would be looking for if you are trying to find a quaint little town on the Shore. It's come a LONG way in the past 10-20 years (it was damn-near post-apocalyptic in the '90s), but it's decidedly on the urban side (which I happen to like, BTW). If you're looking for a younger, more progressive hipster hangout, Asbury's your place. If you're looking for something quaint, I would suggest staying in Ocean Grove or going all the way down to Cape May. Point Pleasant is a smaller, FAR more family-friendly version of what Seaside used to be before Sandy hit. If you're looking for a traditional Jersey Shore Boardwalk experience, it's a pretty good- and shockingly well-maintained- place to start.

NOTE: I was in the Point Pleasant area two weeks ago for the first time since Sandy hit, and I was pleasantly surprised by how normal things looked both there and in Bay Head. Aside from a few construction zones and some unusual business vacancies for the peak season, it pretty much looked the same as I remembered it from my childhood. Once you got down to Mantoloking, though, you started to see some areas that were very reminiscent of the Gulf Coast after Katrina and Ike. I didn't get all the way down to Seaside and Toms River, so I can't tell you how much of that area has recovered, but Mantoloking and Lavalette were honestly pretty dire. There's definitely progress being made, but they've still got a long way yet to go.

Old 08-17-2013, 01:56 PM

989 posts, read 1,876,459 times
Asbury Park is a disaster. Go with Point Pleasant.

Old 08-17-2013, 03:11 PM

512 posts, read 1,017,989 times
Point Pleasant is fully of guido New Yorkers ... very ugly and tasteless. Have you considered Belmar in NJ or Ocean City in SJ.

Old 08-18-2013, 03:27 PM

386 posts, read 871,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinsj View Post
Point Pleasant is fully of guido New Yorkers ... very ugly and tasteless. Have you considered Belmar in NJ or Ocean City in SJ.
Both are bigger Guido/douche destinations than Point Pleasant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey