Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 09:04 AM

39 posts, read 184,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Putski View Post
My bad about the pool. I was talking about the one down near Rt 208 on Harristown Road (Walsh pool) which I guess is Glen Rock. Never used public pools so this was the only one I knew about since I drove by it everyday.
That side of Harristown Road is in Fair Lawn. That's the second Fair Lawn pool that wasn't needed & was filled in. Columbia Heights neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 04:39 PM

9 posts, read 21,565 times
Quote:
I'm not the Hawthorne poster but I did live there for 7 years. Here it is in a nutshell: Hawthorne is in Passaic county and the taxes are very very high, the high school is not well regarded (below average) and only a bridge/Passaic river separates Hawthorne from Paterson. My car was stolen from front of the house I lived in and later found in Newark - engine blown (quick getaway for car thieves via - Rt. 20/21 aka car thief highway).

Having said that, as MQ pointed out, the commute is good to NYC and there are some decent stores and restaurants. Downtown Ridgewood is 5-10 minutes away and Garden State Plaza/Paramus is 10 minutes away. As a matter of fact I still go to the barber shop there. The pool however is no more - I just drove by the other day and it's been filled... shame. Looks like they may be making a bigger parking lot. Not sure.

Supermarkets: you have a Shop rite in Fair Lawn/Hawthorne border by the river; "Basics" (lowest rung of A&P chain) is on Lincoln Ave. - Not the nicest super market and they carry the most basic items; Pathmark in Fair Lawn on Maple ave. - again not the nicest but will get the job done.
Aren't taxes relatively the same as Fair Lawn?

Old 07-23-2013, 05:39 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,909,084 times
Quote:
I'm not the Hawthorne poster but I did live there for 7 years. Here it is in a nutshell: Hawthorne is in Passaic county and the taxes are very very high, the high school is not well regarded (below average) and only a bridge/Passaic river separates Hawthorne from Paterson. My car was stolen from front of the house I lived in and later found in Newark - engine blown (quick getaway for car thieves via - Rt. 20/21 aka car thief highway).

Having said that, as MQ pointed out, the commute is good to NYC and there are some decent stores and restaurants. Downtown Ridgewood is 5-10 minutes away and Garden State Plaza/Paramus is 10 minutes away. As a matter of fact I still go to the barber shop there. The pool however is no more - I just drove by the other day and it's been filled... shame. Looks like they may be making a bigger parking lot. Not sure.

Supermarkets: you have a Shop rite in Fair Lawn/Hawthorne border by the river; "Basics" (lowest rung of A&P chain) is on Lincoln Ave. - Not the nicest super market and they carry the most basic items; Pathmark in Fair Lawn on Maple ave. - again not the nicest but will get the job done.
That's why a lot of people in Fair Lawn and Hawthorne go to the Shop Rite in Ridgewood.

Old 07-23-2013, 05:55 PM

1,559 posts, read 2,151,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momofzam View Post
Yes, both are some of the highest in their respective counties.

Look at the 2012 effective tax rates to compare 1 town to the other. NOT the general tax rate:

NJ Division of Taxation - General Tax Rates by County and Municipality

Fair Lawn is 2.693
Hawthorne is 2.547

Not an exact science but it'll give you a good idea about other towns in the area.

Old 07-23-2013, 05:56 PM

2,535 posts, read 6,667,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momofzam View Post
Taxes are very similar. What's your budget range? Having just sold my house, I know the Hawthorne market quite well and can give you some good picks in town location wise. I can also recommend a realtor who has been in town for 40 years and will not let you down.

Old 07-24-2013, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
Taxes are very similar. What's your budget range? Having just sold my house, I know the Hawthorne market quite well and can give you some good picks in town location wise. I can also recommend a realtor who has been in town for 40 years and will not let you down.
4br, 2br for low 400K...

Old 07-24-2013, 07:31 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,667,644 times
Heights Area Jefferson school District. Big house. Needs work.

156 Mountain Ave, Hawthorne, NJ 07506 - Zillow

Fairview is a busier street and a massive hill, but house has driveway on other street, corner lot with little backyard

Again, great area and walk to Goffle Brook Park, this house is more along the lines of what you would get in Fair Lawn, with slightly more property

151 Watchung Dr, Hawthorne, NJ 07506 - Zillow

This is a short sale and looking at the description probably has tons of unpermitted work(dealing with the Hawthorne building department is not a fun thing), but the price is ridiculously low for house size and location. House could already be under negotiation for contract.

http://www.coldwellbankermoves.com/p...e&IsSold=False

Here are a few. Overall The busy roads in town to avoid are, Lincoln Ave., Lafayettte Ave, Goffle and Goffle Hill.

Last edited by Goldendoodle1969; 07-24-2013 at 07:53 AM..

Old 07-24-2013, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
Heights Area Jefferson school District. Big house. Needs work.

Fairview is a busier street and a massive hill, but house has driveway on other street, corner lot with little backyard

Again, great area and walk to Goffle Brook Park, this house is more along the lines of what you would get in Fair Lawn, with slightly more property

151 Watchung Dr, Hawthorne, NJ 07506 - Zillow

This is a short sale and looking at the description probably has tons of unpermitted work(dealing with the Hawthorne building department is not a fun thing), but the price is ridiculously low for house size and location. House could already be under negotiation for contract.

103 Hillcrest Ave, Hawthorne, NJ 07506 (MLS# 1307716) - Hawthorne NJ Real Estate - ColdwellBankerMoves.com

Here are a few. Overall The busy roads in town to avoid are, Lincoln Ave., Lafayettte Ave, Goffle and Goffle Hill.
wow, awesome! many thanks!

Old 07-24-2013, 09:26 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,076,477 times
I liked Hawthorne better when I lived up north. Does FL have a nice section? I've only been down Broadway and the streets off of it and nothing looked that great.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:50 PM

66 posts, read 167,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
I liked Hawthorne better when I lived up north. Does FL have a nice section? I've only been down Broadway and the streets off of it and nothing looked that great.
The most sought after neighborhoods are the ones that lie east of Plaza Road AND northeast of Rt. 208. Additionally the most desirable neighborhoods are the ones that send their kids to Radburn, Milnes, or Lyncrest Elementary schools (in that order).

Most students who are zoned to go to Radburn however are apart of a community (also called Radburn) where they have their own swimming pool, tennis courts, and children's activities. It is quite unique. However it comes at a mandatory fee if you live in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey