Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 11:13 AM

1,560 posts, read 2,151,703 times

Advertisements

Whatever the case may be (hoax or not), I need to slow my a$$ down on Rt 287. My speed's been slowly creeping up to 85-90mph.... I know all the speed traps on 287 but still, those troopers get creative sometimes with their hiding location and catch me off guard.

Remember, those lasers have no limit as to how far away they can go to clock you. As long as the laser has a clear line to your car, it will reach you (I asked my cop friend about this last week).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 11:13 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times
This is an excellent time for everyone to consider getting the Trapster app for their smartphone. And it's even better on the Ipad. This way whenever you see a cop, you tap the screen and all other Trapster users get a warning shown right on the map!

If they are going to target us, it's fair game that we target them right back. This is nothing more than harassment for the purpose of generating revenue.

Trapster also lets you know when you are close to "known enforcement points" with an audio warning. This way it is less likely that you get ambushed by cops in the trees. Cops are creatures of habit, and they usually like to use the same lidar and radar spots all the time. Trapster lets you know so you can modify speed well in advance and keep your eyes focused on the right areas.

A good radar detector, Trapster, and paying attention will allow you to travel at safe speeds regardless of what the state thinks. I use it. I'll warn you. You use it. And warn me. As driving enthusiasts, we need to protect each other.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:17 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Putski View Post
Whatever the case may be (hoax or not), I need to slow my a$$ down on Rt 287. My speed's been slowly creeping up to 85-90mph.... I know all the speed traps on 287 but still, those troopers get creative sometimes with their hiding location and catch me off guard.

Remember, those lasers have no limit as to how far away they can go to clock you. As long as the laser has a clear line to your car, it will reach you (I asked my cop friend about this last week).
Your cop friend is wrong. Laser has a fairly modest range in real world use. In most laser encounters, you can spot the cop long before he begins tracking you with the Lidar gun. But you have to be paying attention.

In Denville and Rockaway, they like to hide behind the wall and shoot you from the rear. In this case you are a sitting duck. Unless you are paying attention like me and always reduce speed near that wall.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Your cop friend is wrong. Laser has a fairly modest range in real world use. In most laser encounters, you can spot the cop long before he begins tracking you with the Lidar gun. But you have to be paying attention.
Damn it!! Need a trooper friend (my friend's a town cop)... Thanks for the Trapster app. I'll check it out.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:31 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
This is an excellent time for everyone to consider getting the Trapster app for their smartphone. And it's even better on the Ipad. This way whenever you see a cop, you tap the screen and all other Trapster users get a warning shown right on the map!

If they are going to target us, it's fair game that we target them right back. This is nothing more than harassment for the purpose of generating revenue.

Trapster also lets you know when you are close to "known enforcement points" with an audio warning. This way it is less likely that you get ambushed by cops in the trees. Cops are creatures of habit, and they usually like to use the same lidar and radar spots all the time. Trapster lets you know so you can modify speed well in advance and keep your eyes focused on the right areas.

A good radar detector, Trapster, and paying attention will allow you to travel at safe speeds regardless of what the state thinks. I use it. I'll warn you. You use it. And warn me. As driving enthusiasts, we need to protect each other.
I actually like Waze better than trapster.

And remember...they can only generate revenue if you are breaking the law.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:32 AM

5,772 posts, read 16,588,795 times
Okay the original message is a hoax since 2005 as mentioned but their is a multistate NJ to CA push on to try and eliminate anyone getting killed on I-80 coast to coast presently. That was in the real news.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:38 AM

19,127 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Apparently, the OP is one of those very gullible people who believe any and every spam e-mail that is sent to him/her.

As was stated, this chestnut has been circulating in slightly varied forms since 2005, and the only thing that seems to change is the state and (sometimes) the make of police cars to be used for this fictional crack-down on speeders. As NJGoat correctly pointed out, the smoking gun in this case is the reference to, "new Ford Crown Victorias".

Anyway, if anyone is interested in seeing the full report from Snopes on this bogus warning, take a look at: snopes.com: Operation Yellow Jacket - Speeding Ticket Frenzy

Old 07-24-2013, 11:42 AM

118 posts, read 316,508 times
Sorry for posting. I saw it on FB and did panic post. I thought I could save some people from getting a ticket. I usually don't fall for this stuff but there were some details that made it seem legitimate.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:45 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,667,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ET_MTB View Post
Sorry for posting. I saw it on FB and did panic post. I thought I could save some people from getting a ticket. I usually don't fall for this stuff but there were some details that made it seem legitimate.
Don't sweat it, by posting a bogus article you prompted me to post a real one and as a result potentially saved a speeding ticket for someone on I-80.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET_MTB View Post
No worries, now I have 2 new apps to play with - Waze and Trapster. May save me a ticket some day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey