U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2013, 02:58 PM

39 posts, read 60,097 times

Advertisements

We recently purchased a house. A month later I got a mail saying that the house is assessed more than what I paid for and quotes Title 54 of NJ taxation and included a very nice looking application form.

Now, probably for the first time in my life, I fell for this and thought it is coming from the township. The mail, application and other information looked so "official" and I was happy because the township reached out to me suggesting an appeal.

After another careful look, I found that it came from njproptax.com, P.O. Box 7286, Trenton, NJ 08628

Just a shout out for folks who might fall for this the same way I did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 03:07 PM

8,132 posts, read 11,868,501 times
So what did this cost you?

Old 07-24-2013, 03:50 PM

13,563 posts, read 16,066,095 times
The, "dot com", should have been your tip-off, doug & carrie.
Government entities use, "dot gov", in their URL.
Even, "dot org", might be safe, but as soon as you see, "dot com", that is your tip-off that it is a for-profit enterprise, and at that point, you have to assume that it is going to involve fees that might have been avoided otherwise.

Live & learn, I guess.

Old 07-24-2013, 03:52 PM

17,579 posts, read 38,295,421 times
If I remember correctly I received about 30 of these when I bought my house.

Old 07-24-2013, 03:54 PM

2,060 posts, read 4,020,039 times
Just like the tens of mail I got after I refinanced - asking me to switch to bi-weekly to save thousands on my mortgage payment. The first letter did actually seem very official because it had my exact loan amount. On top of it it was marked "urgent" and had some wording that made it obvious it was mortgate related urgent issue. I opened it right away a bit afraid something was wrong with my refinance. It took a few minutes to realize it was a silly piece of junk mail.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:09 PM

39 posts, read 60,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
The, "dot com", should have been your tip-off, doug & carrie.
Government entities use, "dot gov", in their URL.
Even, "dot org", might be safe, but as soon as you see, "dot com", that is your tip-off that it is a for-profit enterprise, and at that point, you have to assume that it is going to involve fees that might have been avoided otherwise.

Live & learn, I guess.

It never said its .com name..it just said "property tax assessment service, Trenton". By reading the fine print, I located their mailing address and googling the mailing address revealed the website.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:21 PM

998 posts, read 1,036,140 times
I got a number of those too and it had a lot of info on the house I bought last year. Most of it was stuff I could look up online so I figured it was a scam and threw them out. I could totally see how people can be fooled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or