Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2013, 05:03 PM

1 posts, read 5,124 times

Advertisements

Dear forum members,

I will be moving to one of the areas above by Sept 1, and would like to take the train to NYC on weekends. How is the situation for WEEKEND parking at the train stations in Summit, Maplewood, So Orange, Short Hills, Millburn (and possibly also Chathams and Madison)? Is parking readily available at all hours of the weekend at those train stations' official parking lots/garages where people pay for permits/have waiting lists for weekday spots? If so, do you have to pay, and is the payment 24 hrs on the weekend? Is this weekend parking only for residents? Is there legal unofficial parking also available in smaller lots/side streets that is within 10 mins walking distance? I'd like to know if I need my new apt to be within walking distance of these stations, or if driving and parking at the stations is convenient on Sat-Sun. Please let me know whatever details you can.

Thanks in advance for your help!
J.K.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2013, 06:09 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
Summit has a garage and is your best bet , all the other stations have surface lots and can fill up fast if theres an event.

Old 07-27-2013, 06:37 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
The big lot behind South Orange Station is good choice for parking, it's free all weekend and rarely fills up on the weekend; the exception would be a SOPAC event. Maplewood has free parking on the weekends but much smaller lots. Millburn has free parking on Sundays for some lots and both days for some lots; I haven't seen those lots fill up.

Old 07-27-2013, 10:04 PM

385 posts, read 1,175,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
The big lot behind South Orange Station is good choice for parking, it's free all weekend and rarely fills up on the weekend; the exception would be a SOPAC event. Maplewood has free parking on the weekends but much smaller lots. Millburn has free parking on Sundays for some lots and both days for some lots; I haven't seen those lots fill up.

yes, the big lot behind the so orange station has ample parking (free too) on weekends. you can enter the lot from west south orange ave and church street.

Old 08-02-2013, 07:55 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,748,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slope95 View Post
yes, the big lot behind the so orange station has ample parking (free too) on weekends. you can enter the lot from west south orange ave and church street.
Is there a name for this lot? Will there be signs that say parking is free?

THanks.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:26 PM

385 posts, read 1,175,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkydapimp View Post
Is there a name for this lot? Will there be signs that say parking is free?

THanks.
it's usually called the njt lot or the sopac lot, but according to the parking authority website, it is officially NJ Transit Lot 11. there are signs when you enter on the church street side, and there are other signs throughout the lot. parking is free on weekends, and on weekdays it is free after morning transit rush hour.

more info here: South Orange Village Parking Authority, the lot is question is shaded orange to the left of the train station.

Old 08-03-2013, 04:42 AM

awesome. thanks!

Old 02-07-2014, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slope95 View Post
it's usually called the njt lot or the sopac lot, but according to the parking authority website, it is officially NJ Transit Lot 11. there are signs when you enter on the church street side, and there are other signs throughout the lot. parking is free on weekends, and on weekdays it is free after morning transit rush hour.

more info here: South Orange Village Parking Authority, the lot is question is shaded orange to the left of the train station.
question. If i need to head into the city around 4:30 today. Can i park at the so train station for free? I wouldnt be coming back until 10 or 11 however. If i can by pay meter, do they take cc or do i need to have a bunch of quarters?

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey