Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 07:33 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,402,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherLynn822 View Post
Not so much that I don't think it's worth it, I just don't have the confidence it would end in my favor. I've never been to court.... this is actually my first ticket.... and I don't feel comfortable going in and telling the prosecutor (or however it works) "here is a print out of what my message board friends said, complete with a link to legal jargon I don't understand".
Additionally, I know people who HAVE attempted to fight this ticket, and lost.
but you have the video right? i wouldn't print out message board posts. we're all idiots.

if you have video evidence showing you stopped, then that's all you need. I've actually heard far more success stories than failures in fighting tickets. Though I am familiar with NJ's legal bribery system of "pay this higher fine to get out of this 2 point ticket". So I'm not sure how it would work out with a no point ticket, but just as an example, I've had 2 parking tickets in Hoboken that I've fought successfully, and while sitting in court, I saw numerous people succeed as well. Often, if it's a first-time offense, they would let people go for that reason (also saw people fighting the light-rail validation fines).

People have a negative view of fighting tickets, but I think more people are successful than not based on what i've seen personally.

Every think of calling the courthouse and speaking to someone? sometimes people are more helpful than you think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 11:13 AM

208 posts, read 468,581 times
I'm jumping in at the end and haven't read all the posts, but personally, I don't know if it would be worth my time to show up to court and contest it. I would do as some suggested and call the court house and ask, and say that you did come to a complete stop when you turned right etc.

Sitting in a court house is NOT fun. I had to go to court recently. I turned left when it says no turns, so I was in the wrong (although there is no reason for the sign to be there - personally my opinon) anyway, I digress. I hired a laywer and went to court with him b/c it would have carried a fine and points. It took 2 hours when everything was said and done that was WITH a a lawyer. You are the first ones out when you have a lawyer to represent you and you have a better chance of pleading down.

With a red light ticket that is maybe $80 and no points, its not worth it. If it continues to happen then I could contest it and video tape the intersection with the lights flashing at random times or whatever you want to claim.

PS I got a $89 fine with no points and the lawyer cost me approximately $200. That was worth it to me b/c I had to take off work and I would have had to wait for many hours more if I didn't have a laywer. AND it was in a sketchy area.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducmonster1221 View Post
I'm jumping in at the end and haven't read all the posts, but personally, I don't know if it would be worth my time to show up to court and contest it. I would do as some suggested and call the court house and ask, and say that you did come to a complete stop when you turned right etc.

Sitting in a court house is NOT fun. I had to go to court recently. I turned left when it says no turns, so I was in the wrong (although there is no reason for the sign to be there - personally my opinon) anyway, I digress. I hired a laywer and went to court with him b/c it would have carried a fine and points. It took 2 hours when everything was said and done that was WITH a a lawyer. You are the first ones out when you have a lawyer to represent you and you have a better chance of pleading down.

With a red light ticket that is maybe $80 and no points, its not worth it. If it continues to happen then I could contest it and video tape the intersection with the lights flashing at random times or whatever you want to claim.

PS I got a $89 fine with no points and the lawyer cost me approximately $200. That was worth it to me b/c I had to take off work and I would have had to wait for many hours more if I didn't have a laywer. AND it was in a sketchy area.
when i contested a ticket i was only there for about 90 minutes total. i didn't use a lawyer. i'm guessing it depends on the day and where you are. busier they are, longer you wait.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:39 AM

Bradykp. I was on the City of Orange. There had to be at least 50 plus people there. I was one of the first ones out and it took me 2 hours to finally get out. I can't even imagine how long people were waiting.

Old 08-01-2013, 02:29 PM

that stinks. i was out in a town off of 46. it may have been passaic i don't remember. there were way more than 50 people there the day i went, but it went quickly. some people were up and out in a minunte or two. very few were more than a quick conversation with the judge. maybe i got lucky!

Old 08-02-2013, 06:05 AM

I was there before 9 am (that's when they said to be there). By 9.30 everyone was seated. 10 was when the cop told us the rules and made everyone in the back row move up one row. Then by they made us move again so that we were jammed like sardines.

The judge spent at least 15 minutes explaining to people their rights (which I think is normal but he was very verbose). Then the people in jail went first (they were on TV). then the people with lawyers went next.

Then I had to wait to be called to pay my fine. That was another 15 minutes and I was the first or second one there. I can't image how much longer it took for everyone else. I think I was done by 10.30 am so not quite 2 hours but close to it.

I avoid that way to work now. No more tempting illegal left turn anymore!

Old 08-04-2013, 07:07 AM

2,105 posts, read 6,662,410 times
Quote:
Then the people in jail went first....... (
That is set by the Court Rules. The sequence can't be changed and is the same in every court.
RULES GOVERNING THE COURTS OF THE STATE OF NEW JERSEY

Old 08-05-2013, 08:28 AM

861 posts, read 2,717,875 times
Good luck to these folks.....
$4.2M red-light camera settlement could be split among 500K drivers | NJ.com

Old 08-05-2013, 09:31 AM

1,947 posts, read 3,323,106 times
I took a speeding ticket to court. I had a friend send me case precedents for radar and "pacing" (ended up I didn't need to use them). I first talked to the prosecutor who wouldn't deal so I plead not guilty. The officer didn't show. The prosecutor requested an adjornment. I objected and stated that I was entitled to a speedy trial (due process) and that I am here and ready to proceed as requested by the court. I then asked the court to dismiss the matter. The judge looked at the prosecutor who tried again to request an adjornment. I objected again and motioned for the matter to be dismissed. Was a bad day for the prosecutor.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:36 AM

1,947 posts, read 3,323,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducmonster1221 View Post
I was there before 9 am (that's when they said to be there). By 9.30 everyone was seated. 10 was when the cop told us the rules and made everyone in the back row move up one row. Then by they made us move again so that we were jammed like sardines.

The judge spent at least 15 minutes explaining to people their rights (which I think is normal but he was very verbose). Then the people in jail went first (they were on TV). then the people with lawyers went next.

Then I had to wait to be called to pay my fine. That was another 15 minutes and I was the first or second one there. I can't image how much longer it took for everyone else. I think I was done by 10.30 am so not quite 2 hours but close to it.

I avoid that way to work now. No more tempting illegal left turn anymore!
Usually, guilty pleas go ahead of not guilty pleas. If you're pleading not guilty, you're going to wait. If you show up early, meet with the prosecutor and come to terms on an amended charge (plea bargining) to which you plead guilty, then you won't wait too long. It's those that don't come to agreement with the prosecutor that wait a long time. They move through the easy stuff first, the not guilty's go last. They try to make you come back again to make your life miserable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey