Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 07:15 AM

5 posts, read 10,143 times

Advertisements

Does anyone here have any info on the Hoboken Grande building at 610 Newark st, Hoboken?
There are couple of apartments for sale in that building. But I see a new building construction right next to it.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Nick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 07:33 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,666,272 times
Don't know the building but I know the area. The only concern I'd have is road/train noise. Newark is a busy street and the train tracks are right across the street. Also you are on the outskirts of Hoboken to your north, a few blocks away up Jackson, are the projects of Hoboken. I haven't lived there for about 5 years so I'm sure the area could have gotten a little better but it was a little run down when I was there. Don't get me wrong I'm sure it's fine but it is definitely a grittier area than most of Hoboken and it's a hike to Washington.

Last edited by Goldendoodle1969; 07-29-2013 at 08:44 AM..

Old 07-29-2013, 08:36 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,400,123 times
I think a friend of mine was warned away from an apartment there when he was looking. I can't remember why, but I'll ping him and see if he gets back to me.

I lived on 1st and jefferson about halfway down the block to newark. I'm not sure if Hoboken Grande is exposed to the noise on Observer Highway or not, but the train noise should be relatively well shielded. I liked that part of town because you were close to the 78 and 1&9 routes out of Hoboken. Proximity to the "projects" was meaningless for me, but there were some incidents in the area. Also, I never felt comfortable walking home late at night on Newark, I would always take 1st street because the bars and better lighting meant there were humans there. I've been gone for 3 years now. I know a few new buildings have gone up.

I wouldn't define it as a hike to washington. It took me less than 5 minutes to be on 1st and washington from my apartment.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:42 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,666,272 times
Brady...it's over half a mile and that's to the base of washington(.6 miles according to our friends at Google). Admittedly, a hike is probably overstating it, but it's more like a solid 10 minute walk, Google says 12.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:26 AM

yeah, google assumes people walk @ 3mph, which is a safe assumption. it's only 2.5 blocks further than jefferson. i admittedly walk faster than normal, but i wouldn't have guessed it would add 5 minutes of walking.

still, i wouldn't call it a hike.

you can pretty much walk from any point in hoboken to any other point in hoboken in 15-20 minutes max.

oh.....and another point to buying a place over there - i know they've somewhat addressed the problems, but Southwest Hoboken floods horrendously.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:32 AM

nice...thanks for the all the input. South hoboken is definitely flooding prone. I think we are going in aware of that.

@bradyKP can you confirm with your friend about the concerns he/she had?

Also any idea on what kind of construction is happening on the side? Any way to find that out?

Old 07-29-2013, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycguy2013 View Post
nice...thanks for the all the input. South hoboken is definitely flooding prone. I think we are going in aware of that.

@bradyKP can you confirm with your friend about the concerns he/she had?

Also any idea on what kind of construction is happening on the side? Any way to find that out?
i sent an email but haven't heard back.

as for the construction, is that where the steakhouse is supposed to be going? tweet the mayor (dawn zimmer) she usually responds.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:37 AM

not sure abt the steak house. Any updates from your friend?

Old 07-30-2013, 12:11 PM

256 posts, read 572,939 times
I live not too far from there.

I'm closer to the train, and I rarely hear it. You may hear the horn (which you can hear as far as Hamilton Park).

I walk down Observer from the PATH. I've never had any issues. I've also walked down Newark. Haven't had much cause to go past Marin at night but I can't see the issue.

Most people will tell you that either Madison or Monroe is the "line" you shouldn't go west of...but I wouldn't apply that as strictly in that part of Hoboken. If anything, you're closer to the JC projects. And you're right behind Monroe in any case. In that part of Hoboken there are more luxury buildings than right at the 2nd and 9th stops (which I'd be more leary of at night).

It should be a 15 minute walk to the PATH. Maybe 20 if you're slow.

Re: the flooding, what does the lobby look like? Did it flood? Are you on the first floor? And if you have a car, where will it be? If you're not parking on the ground floor or living there, any flooding (which has gotten better) becomes an incovenience rather than a liability.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:13 PM

it wasn't hoboken grande - fyi. it was a different building.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey