Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 03:14 PM

1,369 posts, read 4,638,966 times

Advertisements

My mom kept me back (late Sept. birthday) and it was the best thing she could have done for me personally. Since I was the oldest, I was also the leader. That's handy self-esteem stuff right there! Just my opinion. I graduated in the top 10% of my class.

Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 08:21 AM

1 posts, read 2,719 times
Default Every child is different!

I can't believe some of what I'm reading. The bottom line is that every child develops in his/her own way. There can be no blanket statements like "older children are leaders"..."younger children make bad decisions". Both are absurd. Districts should be willing to screen at parents' request. If not, demand it. Do you live in the town? They need your vote in the spring to pass those budgets. Residents do not like school district administrators who are unaccommodating. There is no reason for the strict cutoff, as NJ is a state with multiple cutoffs depending on location.

I am a teacher and a parent; at any given time in my classes, there are students of three different ages. It generally doesn't matter. However, sometimes, the oldest are the least mature/worst students. I was a VERY late Fall baby, started K at 4, and also graduated in the top 10% of my class. I was a member of student government, involved in several extracurriculars, and captain of my team. There are examples in both directions, which goes back to my first comment. Every child develops in his/her own way. What is right for the neighbor's child might be wrong for yours, and vice versa. Common sense should prevail.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:32 AM

1 posts, read 2,414 times
hi all,
my son's birthdate is oct 7th 2004. so he is missing the school for 2 yrs. he can go to public school only when he is almost 6 yrs. we are not able to afford for his preschool. any suggestion? is there any way to put our son in the public school this year. he will be 5yrs as of oct 7th.

Old 07-30-2010, 05:45 PM

1 posts, read 1,733 times
Hi all,
We have just shifted from India to NY. soon we are going to shift to NJ. My daughters birth date is 6th Jan. She has completed her grade 1 in India and she was studying in grade 2 there. Can we get her addmission for grade 2 here? Any idea?
Thanks
Indian.

Old 07-31-2010, 06:14 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
You would need her records & birth certificate.
How old is she?

Grade usually goes by age. For Kindergarten; kids have to be 5 by a certain date.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:22 AM

1 posts, read 1,652 times
Does anyone know of any cases where towns were sued for the Oct 1st cut off date due to Age Discrimination?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey