Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 05:26 PM

7 posts, read 48,641 times

Advertisements

Hi all---
I've got a few questions....
1. Any advice on schools in Bergen county? Looking to buy in the area but don't know about the individual school discricts. Any thoughts on Lodi???
2. For anyone who lives in the area and commutes into NYC via GWB...do you drive or take the bus? Would it be crazy to drive across the bridge in the AM around 6:30ish? Is traffic insane at that time?
I'll be working at New York Presbyterian Hospital- Columbia Medical Center in Washington Heights so the GWB is the only way for me to go...
Thanks---
Frelugali
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 07:58 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,805,155 times
My cousin lives in Leonia and works at Columbia Pres and he drives in, usually just missing traffic. Route 80 is 5 min from his house. Leonia has a great school system; not sure about Lodi.

Old 11-08-2007, 08:30 PM

85 posts, read 304,960 times
Lodi is not especially attractive or known for its school system. Not only that, but many of its streets are prone to serious flooding. You could do much better in investigating Fort Lee, Leonia, Tenafly if you're concerned about schools.

Old 11-09-2007, 07:03 AM

30 posts, read 113,993 times
which areas in bergen county has severe flooding? anyone?care to post?

Old 11-11-2007, 10:55 AM

23 posts, read 177,233 times
Check anytown in Bergen County that's next to the Passaic River. I can bet dollars to donuts that it will flood at least once or when the area houses' basements have water during the Winter/Spring season.

Getting back to the question of Lodi, it's not a desirable area as far as schools. Homeowners are not getting their property tax dollars to school expenditure efficiency's worth. You can check out their town's website for their propanga by doing a simple google search.

Regarding the commute across the bridge via driving at that time, I strongly suggest taking the NJ Transit bus instead of driving solo. There is a bus terminal on the NY side of the bridge. From there, you can take the subway to your destination. Riding public transportation allows you to do all of the following: relax/sleep, read, catch up on bills and check writing, etc... during the bus ride across.

You can check their website for schedules and fare info by doing a google search since we're not allowed to post links here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boriguapa20 View Post
which areas in bergen county has severe flooding? anyone?care to post?

Old 11-12-2007, 12:05 PM

438 posts, read 964,927 times
I'm in Lodi for a few more weeks. I grew up next door in saddle brook. the flooding on Main St in Lodi is unreal. That little trickle stream Saddle River turns into a raging river with the wrong storm. The floods are widespread there going as far uptown as the new shoprite, the old Lucianos sports shop and up Kennedy drive over to 46.
the schools suck but all the money seems to be going to their sport programs. they opened a new football field by me last year. It's PACKED with a-holes who double and triple park on the block.

Old 11-12-2007, 03:25 PM

30 posts, read 113,993 times
its like where to move in nj. i always hear something different. if it isnt the flooding is the bad areas.

Old 11-12-2007, 03:32 PM

1,215 posts, read 3,288,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frelugali View Post
Hi all---
I've got a few questions....
1. Any advice on schools in Bergen county? Looking to buy in the area but don't know about the individual school discricts. Any thoughts on Lodi???
2. For anyone who lives in the area and commutes into NYC via GWB...do you drive or take the bus? Would it be crazy to drive across the bridge in the AM around 6:30ish? Is traffic insane at that time?
I'll be working at New York Presbyterian Hospital- Columbia Medical Center in Washington Heights so the GWB is the only way for me to go...
Thanks---
Frelugali
I think several people have already commented on the school aspect. If you hit the GWB at 6:30, you will miss most of the traffic from that point forward. I hit the GWB several days in the past two weeks at 6:30 and I was parked and at my first meeting by 7:15 (I drive slow, and into NYC to park near where I am going). Although, with NYC rush hour traffic, anything can happen, and it does! LOL.

Columbia Medical, and I go there often, is of course not far from the bridge. Most GWB traffic is heading south, on either side of the city. You won't be troubled by much of that. Good luck.

Old 11-12-2007, 07:50 PM

8 posts, read 77,235 times
If you have kids who would be entering Kindergarten, please check with the school district about the cut off dates. In Bergen County the cutoff date is 5 years by Oct 1st, However some city schools do accept if the child misses the cutoff date with their previous Pre-K records and tests but some don't. Better check with the city schools before moving in.

Old 11-12-2007, 09:20 PM

15 posts, read 122,472 times
Oakland, franklin lakes, and wyckoff have excellent schools and are beautiful
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey