Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 10:51 PM

382 posts, read 804,269 times

Advertisements

Greenwich, CT. Those people out there are the real thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2013, 11:33 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,486,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
If you are of a different mindset, you can live anywhere and "snobbery" just doesn't bother you. I feel compassion for "snobs" because they are missing out on so much in life and they don't even know it. They are stuck in a world that is so limiting. It's hard to feel hate for someone you feel sorry for. Just the other day my son had a play date with the son of a billionaire. I spent the day with the dad, who was as nice as could be. There didnt seem to be a "snobbish" bone in his body, and he struck me as the kind of guy that really lives a very happy existence. Then on the other hand, I know people who buy a house for a million dollars and they are suddenly the best thing since sliced bread and they don't even acknowledge a person that is t in their "circle". In my opinion, these types of people have no idea what life is all about. Perhaps one day they will figure it out. Perhaps not. Either way, they are only hurting themselves. That is, unless you allow them inside your head. If someone thinks they are better than you, the only way it can bother you is if there is a part of you that believes it.
I agree with you AMD.

Snobbery doesn't come from having a large bank account.

It's an attitude.

Kind of how "[insert whatever] trash" is also a mindset/attitude.

Old 10-05-2013, 06:25 PM

9 posts, read 10,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic78 View Post
I'm a stay at home mom in Florham Park to two kids and have been interacting with moms in Florham Park, Chatham, Madison, etc. I am SO sick of moms making a huge deal about living in the Township. I feel shunned that I live in Florham Park. I had no idea that living in the Township , as opposed to the Borough or I guess any other town in the area, is the place to be. It is so freaking annoying, and these moms need to get over themselves. I really thought that Chatham was a nice, normal town with nice, normal people. I had no idea that it had such a crazy snob factor.

Hi Magic78. I am looking at homes in FP, Madison and Chatham for my family with pre-school age children. I want to move to FP because I think we'll be better set up there and we really like it, but we're snagged on the public school ratings falling well below Madison/Chatham. Did your kids make it to school and is it public school? What's your experience?

PS Ignore the haters. Good for you getting to know those near your new home, for you and your kids.

Old 10-05-2013, 06:51 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Johnson View Post
Hi Magic78. I am looking at homes in FP, Madison and Chatham for my family with pre-school age children. I want to move to FP because I think we'll be better set up there and we really like it, but we're snagged on the public school ratings falling well below Madison/Chatham. Did your kids make it to school and is it public school? What's your experience?

PS Ignore the haters. Good for you getting to know those near your new home, for you and your kids.
I suspect that you are only talking to yourself, instead of Magic78.
She became miffed because a lot of people disagreed with her (again), and she essentially stormed out of the forum. She has not been seen around here for almost 2 months.

Old 10-06-2013, 09:53 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,839,675 times
Welcome to Nj!

In all seriousness Op,I think lots of people in Nj are snobs.
They might not think they are,but they are.

Ex: lots of people don't want low income or affordable housing in their towns.

Ex #2..lots of people are always complaining about Newark,Camden,and other poor minority areas.

Old 10-06-2013, 10:17 AM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Welcome to Nj!

I prefer the term "elitist".

Quote:
This is snobbishness if the problem is associating or even merely being associated with with lower-class people. It's not snobbishness if the problem is real issues which come along with subsidized housing. Ignoring that distinction is just an attempt to eliminate opposition by playing on liberal egalitarian guilt.

Quote:
Ex #2..lots of people are always complaining about Newark,Camden,and other poor minority areas.
That's not snobbishness, that's recognition of reality. There'd be complaining about poor white areas (e.g. Altoona, PA) too, but northern NJ is distinctly lacking in them.

Old 10-06-2013, 09:15 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,258,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Welcome to Nj!

They might not think they are,but they are.

Who does in any town?

Really? Who does?

Quote:
What are they complaining about? How unsafe those towns (cities) are? Are they safe? They're not. Do the schools in those cities eat up tax payer dollars like no one's business and stay crappy (iPads for everyone)..where are the iPads for EVERY public school? Not just the super special ones in Camden/Newark/ Trenton that get millions of tax payer dollars tossed at them year after year after year after year and STILL can't figure it out?

Old 10-06-2013, 09:52 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,525,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
OP, I don't mean with this any malice, but you really seem like an unhappy person. It seems any thread you start in this forum is about complaining of one thing or another. In doing a search, I found the following in about 1 minute, and it is not exhaustive.

Dept of Health's priorities

Creepy statues in Livingston

Walking dogs on private property?

Salt, then plow??

Not a fan of living in Livingston

Much like people have told freshflakes, you need to start looking at YOU. It's not everyone else all the time. Either that or you really tend to blow things out of proportion. You live in a nice town in one of the wealthiest counties in the country, and yet you seem unhappy. I assume you are 35, and that's way too young to get your nose bent out of lojoint over, the scheme of things, minor minor issues.

As far as this current issue, the operative words here are "have been interacting". If you don't like them, why do you continue to interact with them? I assure you, you are not limited to making friends with people from Chatham. Why would you want your children to be friends with people like this? If I were in your shoes, after my first time, I would've washed my hands of it, written them out of my life. Non-issue. Yet you continue to meet and post on a board about it. It's bizarre.

Again, I mean this with no malice and you could be the nicest person on earth, but your persona here is of some bitter, angry SAHM with an ax to grind.
Tahiti, do yourself a favor And shut the hell up

Old 10-06-2013, 11:41 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,839,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
Who does in any town?

Really? Who does?

What are they complaining about? How unsafe those towns (cities) are? Are they safe? They're not. Do the schools in those cities eat up tax payer dollars like no one's business and stay crappy (iPads for everyone)..where are the iPads for EVERY public school? Not just the super special ones in Camden/Newark/ Trenton that get millions of tax payer dollars tossed at them year after year after year after year and STILL can't figure it out?
Ipads? What Ipads?
I don't know any kids from the Newark Public schools who were given Ipads.
Where did you get this info?
We all know the moeny isn't going to the students. Its manily going toward salaries.

When some posters on here say"bomb the whole cities" they act like there aren't decent people that live in them.

Old 10-07-2013, 06:51 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
Tahiti, do yourself a favor And shut the hell up
Nope, sorry I won't do you any favors even though you asked oh so nicely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey