Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 04:26 PM

19,067 posts, read 25,221,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

The OP is not being realistic about NJ rental prices. Getting upset about hearing it will not lower those prices.
Aren't you familiar with a phenomenon frequently seen in blogs nowadays?
I am referring to people who ask for affirmation of beliefs that are outdated, unrealistic, or simply wrong-headed, and, when they are told that they are wrong, they strike out at those who are attempting to give them a reality-check.

In other words...How dare you disagree with my pre-conceived ideas that I want you to agree with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 04:27 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,392,554 times
LOL!!!! For real!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
I would be very very cautious about any place in JC renting for $800.

Old 08-19-2013, 07:08 PM

9 posts, read 10,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astroia 34567 View Post
Everyone please read her initial post carefully - $750 - $800 contribution to a SHARE!!!

Your rent being about 1500 - 1600 per month for a 2 bdr or a decent sized 1 bedroom.

Hoboken - 1 bdrs a bit away from the PATH and Washington Ave are possible. Basically the further away you are from the water and further north from the PATH the cheaper the rents. With your budget you could get something decent though small not too far from public transport though. Most NYC like of all areas in New Jersey.

Jersey City - more affordable options occur downtown can be found once you are away from the Van Vorst historic district and the area of large hi-rises. As you head west of Grove street prices drop or near the entrance to the Holland Tunnel in that area. Only drawback quality of housing becomes more variable and transport options drop a little. Further out and good area if you want a place with a yard - Bergen Hill section of JC just south of Journal Square Path - near St Peter prep. Some lovely 2 families and apartment buildings there and walking distance to Newark Ave's Little India and a few old Italian standyby's and Filipino spots for nice ethnic eats. Biggest drawback is very limited nightlife - a few neighborhood bars, but this may be changing. Bergen Hill area may be one of your best bets for JC. TO save money a little into the Hieghts area can save you money about 1 mile north in an area sometimes called Sparrow Hill by realtors offers some very affordable spaces but again variable quality of housing stock but if you live near Manhattan Ave and well norh of Tonnelle you can get an express bus to NYC or grab small buses to Port Authority, also a 40 minute walk to Journal Square, drawback is not a ton of amenities except over on one of the main avenues to the east which seems to be slowly redeveloping.

Harrison - many new apartments near the PATH where two bedrooms , not far from the Ironbound in Newark. Some places to go to to the north in Harrison and Kearny but again a bit limited in night life. But easy access to Hoboken and NYC.

Hope this helps.

Thanks this helps alot. I guess I should have clarified better that rent would be split between my boyfriend and I . Also one other person if that was able to happen. I could care less about night life because most of the shows be at your usual punk rock dive bar per say in nyc or philly. I'm very good at budgeting properly so $ wouldn't be a issues wise. I would just have to cut back on a few things. I'm pretty familiar with the jersey city area know which areas to avoid with common sense sure some of the neighborhoods aren't the greatest but my friends live off clerk street which is pretty questionable at night that whole area but hey they're getting by just fine with no problems. I really appreciate your post and insightful nature. So if I came off a bit unrealistic at first it's due to the cheaper cost of living in austin and gainesville florida in the past and having 3 other people split rent with me in our 4 bedroom house 15 mins from downtown austin.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:04 PM

273 posts, read 671,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielle820 View Post
Hi all I've lived in Austin for 2 years now. I've been laid off twice and had 2 jobs just not work out not to my own accord.
I have 5 years worth customer service / it based background. I recently was in jersey city and thinking of relocating due my string of luck here and to be closer to my boyfriend. Originally from Nyc so I'm familiar with the path / public transit. I'm also 23. What are some decent areas within Ny / Nj I would be able to land a job in or around without my car which I would not be bringing more then likely. Also good staffing agencies or companies to work for or telecommute. My ideal rent would be between 750 - 800 split with my boyfriend.
To all - "My ideal rent would be between 750 - 800 SPLIT with my boyfriend."

Not too unclear, eh?

As for Jersey City I found this good community site about Jersey City and there are some threads on safe areas.

http://jclist.com/

Since you clarified further if not JC or Hoboken for you then I suggest checking the Harrison/Kearny/East Newark - ranging from urban to suburban and safe overall. You will want to live along the Kearny Ave/Frank E Rodgers road and grab buses to Harrison Path or to Newark Penn for more transit choice. Second option though you would benefit from having a car in this area is the Kearny North Arlington border all the way up to Lyndhurst and Rutherford. Rutherford has a couple of upscale eating options, while Lyndhurst, Kearny, and Harrison feature more mom and pop and ethnic fare. Several malls are nearby and other shopping can be done in Newport Mall and NYC. But for this option you would need a car at least once or twice a week.

If you want to get even more suburban in feel but still have some big city amenities Montclair is a nice option but try and stay close to transit points - Lackawanna Station area on the Grove Street side is best, the other side becomes a little sketchy in some pockets (for example there was a shooting on Mission Street a few weeks ago). Further north Bloomfield Ave or where the theater is may be attractive to you. Only drawback having a car on weekends is nice and to really be near shopping and everything you would have to live close to train stations.

The other options are Union City Weehawken (north of Hoboken) with Weehawken being nicer in housing stock while Union City offers tons of bus transit options, I think the light rail may run through there too.

If you ever want to be shown around, pm me. I do know of a few artists living in the Harrison Kearny area and grew up around there.

Last edited by astroia 34567; 08-19-2013 at 08:37 PM..

Old 08-19-2013, 08:12 PM

9 posts, read 10,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astroia 34567 View Post
To all - "My ideal rent would be between 750 - 800 SPLIT with my boyfriend."

Not too unclear, eh?

As for Jersey City I found this good community site about Jersey City and there are some threads on safe areas.

http://jclist.com/

Thank you I will check this list out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey