Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 05:38 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,626,350 times

Advertisements

I chuckle when people try to avoid a dollar toll on the GSP by driving 5-10 miles out of the way. They spend 2 bucks more in gas money and waste 10-15 minutes stopping at lights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 05:53 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
I chuckle when people try to avoid a dollar toll on the GSP by driving 5-10 miles out of the way. They spend 2 bucks more in gas money and waste 10-15 minutes stopping at lights.
actually it's shorter for me to avoid the GSP to get to work! 59 -vs- 61 miles.

Old 08-20-2013, 06:29 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
We live 90% of our lives toll free, but still have EZ Pass. It makes that 10% so much easier. How far west does EZ Pass reach?

ETA - never mind. Found a map:

E-ZPass Delaware -
Cripes with all the snowbirds you would think FL would of joined in..I know they have toll roads

Old 08-20-2013, 06:40 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
I am glad to hear the tolls cause people to avoid the parkway. More room for me. I'd rather pay a stiff toll and have a clean ride, as long as the tolls go solely to constructing and maintaining the road for which they are collected.

When I see toll money being diverted to "other projects" such as subways, that annoys me. The subway should pay for itself. If it cannot do so, the price of the subway ride should increase until it does.

Using money I pay for a NJT toll to pay for someone else's subsidized train ride amounts to redistribution of wealth. And redistribution of wealth is bad.

Having said that, EZ Pass is a fantastic product. Saving time is saving life, and I remember significant portions of my life spent in long lines to throw metal pocket change into baskets. At every exit.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:23 AM

7,221 posts, read 11,935,683 times
I don't have EZ Pass. Don't need it.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:25 AM

1,171 posts, read 2,682,585 times
For those asking about discounts - yes you get a discount on the NJTPKE for off hour driving and at all the NY/NJ crossings. If you have the NY pass you only get the Bridge/tunnels discount, not the Turnpike.

http://www.state.nj.us/turnpike/docu...sched-2012.pdf

Old 08-20-2013, 08:30 AM

512 posts, read 1,018,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
But we're all, almost all of us "indoctrinated" into paying tolls and justifying the tolls to build more systems to collect tolls, extracting more money from us, WHEN we know the most efficient system is to take down all the tolls and pay at the gas pump.
Well thats not true. NJ gas tax does not pay enough to support the roads. NJ has one of the lowest gas taxes in the Northeast. It has not gone up since the early 90's and is not adjusted for inflation. NJ has been borrowing money to pay for roads the last ten years. You have probably guess the Sh*t fit NJ voters would have if the govt want to raise the gas tax. MOst people are stupid like you and dont know the facts.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:37 AM

5,772 posts, read 16,588,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinsj View Post
Well thats not true. NJ gas tax does not pay enough to support the roads. NJ has one of the lowest gas taxes in the Northeast. It has not gone up since the early 90's and is not adjusted for inflation. NJ has been borrowing money to pay for roads the last ten years. You have probably guess the Sh*t fit NJ voters would have if the govt want to raise the gas tax. MOst people are stupid like you and dont know the facts.
Understood. The trick is IF they raised the gas tax but got rid of tolls,,,,but we all know that won't happen. Kind of like building I-95 and an airtrain to the Poconos and,,,,,, you know the rest.
Fuhgeddaboudit!

Connecticut did this decades ago after all the toll booth accidents.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:49 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinsj View Post
so where is the money collected from tolls going?

Old 08-20-2013, 08:58 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
West Orange to Philly I would have several options.

Either go inland on I-280 or I-78 to US202 then Bear Tavern or Rt 31 to I-95, no tolls at all that way.

Or GSP down to US1 to I-95, the REAL I-95

Or GSP to NJ Pike to I-195 then I-195 straight into NJ 29 then either the US1 toll bridge or 1 block away the toll free "Trenton Makes" Alt US1 free bridge, to US1 freeway to I-95 to Philly
Several options there and many more, River Road, etc. Often it might be a compromise of some tolls, rest taxpaid roads. Or you can go toll free fairly easily.

The real I-95 starts off from US1 near Bakers Basin in NJ between Princeton and Trenton.
not bad options, but most times those would cost me a decent amount of time. i like this bolded one though. 202 isn't bad depending on time and day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey