Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 11:58 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,400,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
1. im not really sure how me feeling i pay for the roads i use and then some translates to me believing im king. by saying that, it seems to me that you arent being completely objective.

2. im not trying to make a point of paying for public transit, my main point is that i pay for what i use and would rather any extra money stays out of public transit (no matter how much or how little it may be). im pretty sure the $8 obx toll and $13 vzb toll goes to more than maintaining those bridges. i saw the tpk's numbers and they are bringing in more than they spend on the roads. im not sure about the gsp. those tolls then are on top of the gas taxes, registration and other dmv fees.
king, captain...whatever it is that has you sitting up there on your high horse. how does adding a joke at the end make me unobjective? the transportation fund doesn't cover the full cost of maintanence by a long shot, and tolls pretty much just support the roads that the toll is on, with a small chunk going towards public transit. you're small chunk from tolls would have to be greater than the 30ish percent shortfall in the transportation fund. it's math....there's no need for objectivity from me...it's math. how much is the current Turnpike expansion below exit 8 costing? That's fully funded by toll collections, on top of the maintenance of the road? gas taxes are miniscule. i think we pay registration after the car is 5 years old, then every 2 years? what other dmv fees?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 12:06 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,684,988 times
Quote:
probably more than 1 kid. i believe public school is 13 years per kid, im going to be paying property taxes for a good 60ish years. the "externality benefits" are a different discussion. you suggested i dont pay the cost of education for my mcnugget, thats clearly wrong.
i have 2 kids, when all is said and done it's costing ~180K to educate them. I've been paying property taxes for 22 years now. I'm not close to that amount and my taxes aren't "low". My whole property tax bill is not for education, neither are my state taxes. I'm not going to be a homeowner for another 40 years so I can't conceivably think I'm footing the entire bill.

I also didn't say you are not paying the cost, I said the full cost.

Old 08-22-2013, 12:06 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,024,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
They did-now it's just "Princeton Township."
Princeton Township no longer exists. The whole thing was absorbed by the borough. It's all Princeton Borough now.

Old 08-22-2013, 12:09 PM

And the Outerbridge toll is up to $13 and the Verrazano is $15 now. That is $28 for a drive to Brooklyn everyday!

Old 08-22-2013, 12:09 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,977,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HubCityMadMan View Post
Princeton Township no longer exists. The whole thing was absorbed by the borough. It's all Princeton Borough now.
Actually it's kind of weird (this was addressed a few posts back)-they now call themselves just "Princeton" but have adopted the Borough form of government. They must be the largest Borough in the state...

Old 08-22-2013, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
Actually it's kind of weird (this was addressed a few posts back)-they now call themselves just "Princeton" but have adopted the Borough form of government. They must be the largest Borough in the state...
I think Sayreville is the largest town in the state with the borough form of government. At least in population. People often forget it is a borough even though it is more township-like in setting.

Old 08-22-2013, 12:14 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
king, captain...whatever it is that has you sitting up there on your high horse. how does adding a joke at the end make me unobjective? the transportation fund doesn't cover the full cost of maintanence by a long shot, and tolls pretty much just support the roads that the toll is on, with a small chunk going towards public transit. you're small chunk from tolls would have to be greater than the 30ish percent shortfall in the transportation fund. it's math....there's no need for objectivity from me...it's math. how much is the current Turnpike expansion below exit 8 costing? That's fully funded by toll collections, on top of the maintenance of the road? gas taxes are miniscule. i think we pay registration after the car is 5 years old, then every 2 years? what other dmv fees?
its not "math" unless you provide numbers. if you did actual math, you would see that drivers pay for the costs of driving.

i recently read an article regarding the tpk's revenue. by paying tpk tolls, that alone covers the maintenance on the tpk and the bonds on large projects, with a bit left over.

im guessing the bigger profit center where they can pull money for public transit is the bridges. gotta do some searching on that one. i knew they had plenty of money to waste on the wtc site, also not deserving of my toll dollars.

Last edited by CaptainNJ; 08-22-2013 at 12:24 PM..

Old 08-22-2013, 12:16 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
i have 2 kids, when all is said and done it's costing ~180K to educate them. I've been paying property taxes for 22 years now. I'm not close to that amount and my taxes aren't "low". My whole property tax bill is not for education, neither are my state taxes. I'm not going to be a homeowner for another 40 years so I can't conceivably think I'm footing the entire bill.

I also didn't say you are not paying the cost, I said the full cost.
so lets say you have 22 years in, and another 25 years to go. (it would be best to just use city data averages, but we can go back to that after i have my fun here). so thats 47 years. if you divided that into 180k, its 3,829 a year. i dont know what you pay, but i know i pay much more than that and so do many nj residents (i think most but ill have to look).

here, average prop tax: "The average property tax bill in New Jersey rose 1.6 percent last year, from $7,759 to $7,885, according to data from the state Department of Community Affairs released last week."

im also aware that not all goes to school, so i did factor that into my own calculation i did on myself before i made my previous comment.

Old 08-22-2013, 12:41 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,684,988 times
Quote:
so lets say you have 22 years in, and another 25 years to go. (it would be best to just use city data averages, but we can go back to that after i have my fun here). so thats 47 years. if you divided that into 180k, its 3,829 a year. i dont know what you pay, but i know i pay much more than that and so do many nj residents (i think most but ill have to look).

here, average prop tax: "The average property tax bill in New Jersey rose 1.6 percent last year, from $7,759 to $7,885, according to data from the state Department of Community Affairs released last week."

im also aware that not all goes to school, so i did factor that into my own calculation i did on myself before i made my previous comment.
i think 47 years is very much the exception, not the rule. people die, downsize, move away. i don't know what the average is though.

Old 08-22-2013, 01:10 PM

512 posts, read 1,018,258 times
The port authority is paying alot for the turnpike expansion and a bunch of money is coming from the transportation trust fund which is bankrupt. Interesting over a billion of those dollars was orginally supposed to go to NJT for ARC tunnel. the turnpike expansion was supposed to cost 2 billion for 22 miles now its up to 4 billion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey