Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2013, 09:12 PM

18,433 posts, read 15,192,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
I went to school in dc, that was 12-16 years ago. there were so many homeless people around there it was amazing (this was in the northwest in the decent areas). many buildings at night would have their entranceways full of homeless. im sure its not the only city with a homeless problem but if you step aside to pee on a building there you better check to make sure you aren't peeing on a bum (and I have peed on many buildings in dc).
Sure there were homeless people, but homeless people in Foggy Bottom or Georgetown didnt make you feel unsafe. It is a totally different feel than driving through SE, which was more like going through a war zone. I have spent a lot of time in some pretty bad neighborhoods, but anyone who wasn't afraid driving around that area lacks a normal sense of self preservation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2013, 08:52 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,594,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Sure there were homeless people, but homeless people in Foggy Bottom or Georgetown didnt make you feel unsafe. It is a totally different feel than driving through SE, which was more like going through a war zone. I have spent a lot of time in some pretty bad neighborhoods, but anyone who wasn't afraid driving around that area lacks a normal sense of self preservation.
yeah, i never felt unsafe in the foggy bottom area even with all the bums. there were only two times i felt unsafe which was when we went to some club called "dream" and we were outside looking for a taxi and also looking for a taxi at the dc armory where we went for a flea market of some sort. oh and i guess things got a little hairy on 9/11 but that doesnt count. i didnt like to leave the safe enclave of the school area.

Old 09-10-2013, 07:23 PM

4 posts, read 4,024 times
Newark is like any other place. I moved from brooklyn in a really nice neighborhood and bought a house in Newark. I am on the North side of Newark and I have not had a problem. Newark is definitely on an upswing like another person posted. Downtown Brooklyn has changed so much and now you can no longer afford to live there unless you have money. Newark is a vessel to everything. You can get to New York and other parts of Jersey in no time. Newark is definitely on it's way to change and you see the difference Downtown, Ironbound, Branch Brook Park. People better recognize and do not sleep on Newark.

Newark will say hear me scream in the next 10 years people are investing over here. DON'T SLEEP ON NEWARK!!!

Old 09-21-2013, 11:08 AM

271 posts, read 416,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dre View Post
I'm black. I'm not racist against my own people. Like I said, I'm from bed stuy, one of the most highly populated black communities in New York City. But I didn't see any signs saying I was in Irvington or Elizabeth. So I'm pretty sure it was Newark. I knew someone from newark who was from some high rise project in newark idk what the name of the project was exactly but he said it was pretty big. Anyone have any idea what it could be?
most of Newark airport is in Elizabeth ... if its the brick towers those are gone

Old 09-21-2013, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Gentleman View Post
Sorry but Princeton and Cherry Hill are not cities....they are townships. So...that leaves Hoboken and Edison.....makes me want to sell all I have and move there tomorrow. By the way....l lived near Cherry Hill and the traffic is heavy and generally gridlock at rush hour and the taxes are horrendous. Oh.....and you can hit Camden, the murder capital of the US, with a stone

Englewood Hackensack Clifton new Brunswick ... how many of Florida's cities are actual urban ?

Old 09-21-2013, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Newark is the basis for the movie "Shallow Hal'.. there are two realities.....most see one thing and a very few see something entirely different.

OP wasn't about FL... it was about Newark.

Newark must be portrayed as a wonderful place where dreams begin to bolster the mayor's legislative future.

Newark has a long way to go to change its global reputation.

How's that unbroken murder a month + going ? You might make Guiness book of records with that one. Another photo op for the mayor to ham it up as a media star.

Oh, and crime doesn't honor town borders so if you think Irvington is worse than Newark, Newark is Irvington's playground. Unless of course there are police baricades around Newark to keep out the criminal element.

Newark is sooo bad the cops killed a guardian angel wearing a red beret back in the early 80s. Newark is the only place angels fear to tread, unless it is the Hell's angels.

this man said Newark is so bad and then mentioned an incident from before I was born and im 25... hang it up

Old 09-21-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dre View Post
Captain Nj probably isn't from jersey or the hood. You don't kow what it's like to have hunger pains and live amongst killers. I'm not a racist. What part of "I am black" don't you understand? You're probably a white person who tries to stick up for black people so you don't look racist. I'm sorry but this conversation is over. You look extremely arrogant. I can't call a place scary? Because it is. Why don't you go live there then if its not that scary then? It seems like NJ people always have to overcompensate for being the "other" state. The state next to success. I have a lot of love for jersey but SOME people there always try to say they're so much different than New York when in reality the people are the same. And when you tell them that, they start getting mad. It's ridiculous. You're one of the stereotypical jersey guys who has a complex of being inferior to NY aren't you?

if Newark was scary why are you bragging about hunger pains ... I don't know what that's like and I live in Newark now ... are you mad that we don't agree with you that Newark sucks ... we haven't concluded you were in Newark yet

Old 09-21-2013, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Gentleman View Post
Wrong Monty. I only left New Jersey in January of 2012 so unless New Jerseys cities have made an amazing transformation over the last year and a half then l am completely aware of "whats happening".....they are still in a state of urban decay and downward economic spiral and Camden is still one of the front runners for the distinction of Murder Capital of the US.

so is Miami my good sir

Old 09-21-2013, 11:43 AM

23,456 posts, read 17,133,889 times
Newark is not scary if you have lived there most of your life and never look at the crime statistics and believe the campaign claims of CB, but to everyone else, including potential visitors, Newark is a scary place.

Gun violence is downstream of gangs and Newark barely has enough territory to divide amongst 41 known gangs. Got to get money to pay for the dugs from somewhere.

Street gangs in Newark, New Jersey | StreetGangs.Com

pat each other on the back and declare
what a fine town you got there
don't expect anyone, your praise, to believe
no one is that naive

Old 09-21-2013, 03:47 PM

478 posts, read 699,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWK student rapper View Post
so is Miami my good sir
Miami has its crime to be sure but it's also a vibrant, exciting, ocean front, financially sound city that tourists flock to from the world over not to mention college students. How many out of state tourists do you think have Newark on their vacation list. ? My guess would be ZERO !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey