Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2013, 10:40 AM

472 posts, read 809,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Gentleman View Post
OK OK.....your point is that there is one city out of the whole state that doesn't deserve bulldozing....doesn't that speak volumes about New Jersey ?
There are other great cities in New Jersey, too. Phillipsburg, Morristown, and many more. That speaks volumes about New Jersey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2013, 11:12 AM

1,512 posts, read 2,355,500 times
Quote:
I'm going to quote The Princess Bride and tell you that "l do not think that means what you think it means". Simply put the original comparison you offered was between NYC and Newark and somehow you managed to incorporate, Capetown, Rio, Cleveland, Tijuana and other nonsense into the equation.......trying to compute that type of "logic" would make Spocks head explode.......because there is no logic !!! The real joke is that you don't see how funny what your offering as logic is !!!
Once again, you show that you can't follow something that was meant to be simple. Here, I'll baby step you through it.

You say: "Miami has its crime to be sure but it's also a vibrant, exciting, ocean front, financially sound city that tourists flock to from the world over not to mention college students. How many out of state tourists do you think have Newark on their vacation list. ? My guess would be ZERO !!!"

I say: "Cape Town sees more tourism than Newark, big deal". In other words, Cape Town - a city which has many tourists flocking for its nice scenery, beaches, and weather, will also be a better city than Newark when we are using your criteria on what makes a city better. The same thing applies to oceanside cities like San Juan, Tijuana, Kingston, Rio, Nassau, etc. etc. Even though those cities have beaches and get tourists, those cities still aren't any better than Newark (I would say much worse in many cases). Miami, even though it has tourist, it has nothing to brag about when comparing it to Newark. This is even more so when we compare the entire Miami metro to the entire metro Newark is a part of. Miami = like the cities I mentioned.

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and believe that you DO understand my point. But you can't come up with a valid defense so instead you play the "I don't understand " card.

Old 09-28-2013, 04:00 PM

478 posts, read 699,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHomunculus View Post
Once again, you show that you can't follow something that was meant to be simple. Here, I'll baby step you through it.

You say: "Miami has its crime to be sure but it's also a vibrant, exciting, ocean front, financially sound city that tourists flock to from the world over not to mention college students. How many out of state tourists do you think have Newark on their vacation list. ? My guess would be ZERO !!!"

I say: "Cape Town sees more tourism than Newark, big deal". In other words, Cape Town - a city which has many tourists flocking for its nice scenery, beaches, and weather, will also be a better city than Newark when we are using your criteria on what makes a city better. The same thing applies to oceanside cities like San Juan, Tijuana, Kingston, Rio, Nassau, etc. etc. Even though those cities have beaches and get tourists, those cities still aren't any better than Newark (I would say much worse in many cases). Miami, even though it has tourist, it has nothing to brag about when comparing it to Newark. This is even more so when we compare the entire Miami metro to the entire metro Newark is a part of. Miami = like the cities I mentioned.

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and believe that you DO understand my point. But you can't come up with a valid defense so instead you play the "I don't understand " card.
No defense needed. You pull a bunch of vacation destination cities out of your a** and proceed to compare them to Newark when each one is as different as the next regarding scenery, beaches, weather and absolutely none have anything in common with Newark except they ARE all valid vacation destination cities and receive tons of tourist dollars which automatically makes them better than Newark which receives ZERO tourists and ZERO tourist dollars !!! While all those cities do have their problems it's the diverse cultural aspect of each of those cities that makes them an attractive and exciting vacation destination spot.....there is nothing "attractive" about Newark !!! If in your mind you feel none are really any better than the other then you spend your vacations in Newark......think of the money you'll save not having to fly to Rio or Cruise to Nassau or Kingston ???

Old 09-28-2013, 07:10 PM

Quote:
No defense needed. You pull a bunch of vacation destination cities out of your a** and proceed to compare them to Newark when each one is as different as the next regarding scenery, beaches, weather and absolutely none have anything in common with Newark except they ARE all valid vacation destination cities and receive tons of tourist dollars which automatically makes them better than Newark which receives ZERO tourists and ZERO tourist dollars !!! While all those cities do have their problems it's the diverse cultural aspect of each of those cities that makes them an attractive and exciting vacation destination spot.....there is nothing "attractive" about Newark !!! If in your mind you feel none are really any better than the other then you spend your vacations in Newark......think of the money you'll save not having to fly to Rio or Cruise to Nassau or Kingston ???
"No defense needed. You pull a bunch of vacation destination cities out of your a** and proceed to compare them to Newark when each one is as different as the next regarding scenery, beaches, weather and absolutely..."

lol. No dude, I pull things out of my brain while you have a hard time doing so. Those cities were used in my argument regarding how one city isn't better than another because of weather, beaches and tourism. I made my point as clear as it can be.

"...none have anything in common with Newark except they ARE all valid vacation destination cities and receive tons of tourist dollars which automatically makes them better than Newark which receives ZERO tourists and ZERO tourist dollars !!!"

Seriously, if you would've said this at first instead of saying how lost you were in regards to my comments, you would've saved yourself from embarrassment (though I blame myself for not watering myself down for you). So now that you said that, we can now conclude that you prefer places that are GREAT TO VISIT...BUT CRAPPY TO LIVE.

This is my conclusion: Newark AREA (which includes suburbs) = crappy place to visit, decent place to live in general.
Miami AREA (which includes suburbs) = great place to visit, crappy place to live.
A place that can be better to live in goes way farther than some place where people only visit. The End.

Judging by your bland responses, I'm going to assume that many of your future responses are going to be addressed by my previous ones. That's how good I am (or maybe you just don't try).

Old 09-28-2013, 08:51 PM

Quote:
[i]

lol. No dude, I pull things out of my brain....

This is my conclusion: Newark AREA (which includes suburbs) = crappy place to visit, decent place to live in general.
Then your head must be located in the same proximity as your a** which would explain your crappy logic.

Let me enlighten you.....most people wish they could live in many of the vacation spots they visit....that's why they pay big dollars to vacation there.......but......when you visit someplace and immediately determine it to be "crappy" then it's probably gonna be equally crappy to live there too. Newark doesn't turn into Disneyland just because you buy a house and live there for awhile.....it's still crappy Newark when you wake up every morning.

Old 09-28-2013, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman27 View Post
There are other great cities in New Jersey, too. Phillipsburg, Morristown, and many more. That speaks volumes about New Jersey.
So.....that brings us up to a total of 3 now for the most densely populated state of all 50.....pretty sad list ?

Old 09-28-2013, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Then your head must be located in the same proximity as your a** which would explain your crappy logic.

Let me enlighten you.....most people wish they could live in many of the vacation spots they visit....that's why they pay big dollars to vacation there.......but......when you visit someplace and immediately determine it to be "crappy" then it's probably gonna be equally crappy to live there too. Newark doesn't turn into Disneyland just because you buy a house and live there for awhile.....it's still crappy Newark when you wake up every morning.

**Yawn**. You're still crying about my logic not realizing that you're the only one here that is not getting it. Give it a rest. You've already failed in even trying to refute me (and from the looks of this thread, refuting any others in here).

most people wish they could live in many of the vacation spots they visit....that's why they pay big dollars to vacation there.......but......when you visit someplace and immediately determine it to be "crappy" then it's probably gonna be equally crappy to live there too.

No, most people go to a place to visit but that's it. Most people that go to the Miami area end up in Miami Beach. Many people don't see Miami proper, which is just like Newark, if not worse...and like I said, it is not only Miami proper, but the whole metro is undesirable. It's just like Nassau or Cape Town, many people pay top dollar to visit (I myself took a cruise to Nassau and even went to many of the shops, where many tourists and locals were thriving). But when it comes down to it, the majority of tourists don't say "I want to live here!" unless you're one of the wealthy few who can afford a flat in that one secluded part of the city. But the area in general is not that great and is just undesirable.

Old 09-28-2013, 10:29 PM

Quote:
[i] I myself took a cruise to Nassau
"I myself" ? Illogical and proves my point !!!

Old 09-28-2013, 10:48 PM

Quote:
"I myself" ? Illogical and proves my point !!!
I'm not an English major, but I believe that's not a grammatical error or somehow "illogical" (you're really abusing that word).

"Your now attempting to compare New Jersey and a Florida..." - Florida Gentleman

"Dude.....whatever your smoking put it down and try to focus." - Florida Gentleman

I can play that game too. Try again.

Old 09-29-2013, 12:08 AM

240 posts, read 422,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HubCityMadMan View Post
I get a real laugh on here when people compare Newark to Camden. Anyone that is seriously half-familiar with both cities will know that Newark is literally a fixer-upper in comparison to Camden. You cannot compare Newark to Camden. They are nothing alike. Camden is one of the worst places in the entire country, if not THE worst. The place is damaged beyond any sort of repair. There is hope for Newark, and not all of Newark is bad either like people make it out to be.
Camden the worst city in the country? I'm no fan of Camden but that could be a bit of an exaggeration. Worse than Detroit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey