Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 08:12 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Depending on block you're on, no you wouldn't know it was Bed Sty...my son & dil have a brownstone on MacDonough in Bed Sty....I was impressed
yeah? ive seen some of the gentrification in brooklyn. its too spotty and one block is nice and the next block is shank city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 08:17 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
yeah? ive seen some of the gentrification in brooklyn. its too spotty and one block is nice and the next block is shank city.
Very true, you either have to get through the early gentrification process where your block may be nice and the next block shank city or pay obscene $$$ when complete...
No kids so so issue with schools etc.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:34 AM

31 posts, read 63,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Gentleman View Post
You can refer to it as looking back but as I said earlier I find looking into the NJ forum and reading all the whining and complaining posts from residents very humorous, entertaining.
Most people (myself included) on pretty much every city forum in America complains about their city/state. I call it constructive venting. BTW: since you don't live here why are you wasting your time "entertaining" yourself with our issues?

Now back to the Newark topic:

CaptainNJ: I can't agree on that "Newark sucks" comment. Not every block is "Shank City" here, but there's definitively room for improvement (schools, entertainment, family life, etc.). As far as safety, my girlfriend & I have never experienced any type of incident in our neighborhood while living here. It's a shame how everyone seems to think that the whole city is shady just because a majority of the residents happen to be Black. I guess it is what it is.

Last edited by NJTrendsetter3000; 08-28-2013 at 08:52 AM..

Old 08-28-2013, 09:01 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJTrendsetter3000 View Post
CaptainNJ: I can't agree on that "Newark sucks" comment. Not every block is "Shank City" here, but there's definitively room for improvement (schools, entertainment, family life, etc.). As far as safety, my girlfriend & I have never experienced any type of incident in our neighborhood while living here. It's a shame how everyone seems to think that the whole city is shady just because a majority of the residents happen to be Black. I guess it is what it is.
i look at things differently than maybe you. when it comes to a place to live; i dont want there to be any safety questions. it doesnt really matter if you havent experienced any incidents; it only takes 1 incident to change your life. so id rather be in a place where that incident is least likely to happen. i think the crime rate is much more important than the demographics.

but the OP is totally a racist. if newark happened to be mostly white, even with the same crime rate, i doubt he would have anything negative to say about it.

i understand crime can happen anywhere. below is a picture of an elderly man apparently being sexually assaulted in broad daylight in a nice part of nyc. but im still going to prefer to be in a low crime area even understanding there is never a guarantee.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:24 AM

23,532 posts, read 17,208,400 times
Newark is the basis for the movie "Shallow Hal'.. there are two realities.....most see one thing and a very few see something entirely different.

OP wasn't about FL... it was about Newark.

Newark must be portrayed as a wonderful place where dreams begin to bolster the mayor's legislative future.

Newark has a long way to go to change its global reputation.

How's that unbroken murder a month + going ? You might make Guiness book of records with that one. Another photo op for the mayor to ham it up as a media star.

Oh, and crime doesn't honor town borders so if you think Irvington is worse than Newark, Newark is Irvington's playground. Unless of course there are police baricades around Newark to keep out the criminal element.

Newark is sooo bad the cops killed a guardian angel wearing a red beret back in the early 80s. Newark is the only place angels fear to tread, unless it is the Hell's angels.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post

Newark must be portrayed as a wonderful place where dreams begin to bolster the mayor's legislative future.

How's that unbroken murder a month + going ? You might make Guiness book of records with that one. Another photo op for the mayor to ham it up as a media star.

Oh, and crime doesn't honor town borders so if you think Irvington is worse than Newark, Newark is Irvington's playground. Unless of course there are police baricades around Newark to keep out the criminal element.

Newark is sooo bad the cops killed a guardian angel wearing a red beret back in the early 80s. Newark is the only place angels fear to tread, unless it is the Hell's angels.
If I had a choice between having a charismatic, Stanford educated mayor like Booker trying to change Newark's national image vs. an idiot like you, then I think my vote is for Booker.

As I said said in an earlier post there's definitively room for improvement, especially with crime in the West and South wards of the city. However, I like to spend my time doing something about it as a resident, rather than just be an outsider like yourself just regurgitating the same rants over and over.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:42 AM

2,881 posts, read 6,086,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Gentleman View Post
You can refer to it as looking back but as I said earlier I find looking into the NJ forum and reading all the whining and complaining posts from residents very humorous, entertaining. Numerous posts complaining about a variety of issues verify that everyone is clearly unhappy with something but when someone else points out the same problems suddenly its the greatest state in the union. As l said.....the denial and defense of a sad situation is actually entertaining.
NJ should be more like FL in economic health and otherwise: Like, we should have FL's consistently ranked highest in the nation foreclosure rate (and ours is already terrible as it is), or much higher crime rate. Nah, we've got enough problems.

I guess the difference is, NJ folks aren't afraid to voice the things they don't like about the state (even folks that never stepped foot in Newark have something to say about it). Whereas, it seems you're so focused on NJ problems that you forget FL has many of the same problems...and they're way worse!! FL trying to show NJ how it's done is like Gary Busey giving Jessica Simpson beauty tips.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Newark is the basis for the movie "Shallow Hal'.. there are two realities.....most see one thing and a very few see something entirely different.

OP wasn't about FL... it was about Newark.

Lol, you had to dig all the way back into the 80's just to find a reason for Newark having high crime? Lmao. 'Only place angels fear to tread'? Lol, you're trying waaaaaay too hard man.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
FL trying to show NJ how it's done is like Gary Busey giving Jessica Simpson beauty tips.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:56 AM

^lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey