Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 03:00 PM

3 posts, read 11,094 times

Advertisements

So, in a rush of non-rational behavior and very crunched timeline, I have moved to West Orange, NJ. By day, it is bustling and there are many people walking around, by night...It feels a bit...Different. Now that rational thought has settled in, I know I must be situated close to the border of Orange.

Need the folks who know to help me with a couple of facts:

-what exactly is going on w that Thomas Edison "landmark"-looks very shady.
-what do young professional people do around here for fun (excluding "go to New York")
-how does the parking work? do you need some sort of identifier?
-worst case scenario...Are there any nice apts in West Orange? The town is close to work, but if this doesn't work out, I can move. For now, I prefer to try it out.

All feelings of, "Oh, crap. I just moved to a VERY shady neighboorhood.", aside, I'm trying to focus on finding positives in my new area. Help me out, North Jersey people!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 03:04 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,937,036 times
I lived in the Eagle Rock Apartments when I was in college. Not sure if McGurk's is still downtown but that's a great Irish bar. South Mountain Reservation is a nice place for a hike, jog, or bike ride. Highlawn Pavillion at the top of the hill is a great restaurant but be prepared to shell out some $$$. Harrison Avenue Tavern (aka "The HAT") is a fun dive.

Old 08-28-2013, 03:25 PM

225 posts, read 718,005 times
Montclair isn't a far drive from WO and has a bunch of restaurants and things to do
The Montclair Adult School will be offering up its Fall courses soon adultschool.org

Old 08-28-2013, 04:47 PM

31 posts, read 63,014 times
I kind of feel "different" is code word for something...but I try to look past that to answer your questions.

-Are there any nice apts in West Orange: There are plenty of nice apartments in West Orange depending on your budget. If you want a luxury apt with all the works you can look close to the Livingston/Verona boarders. If you want something more affordable but in a safe neighborhood, anything west of Gregory & Prospect Ave might suit you.

-What do young professional people do around here for fun: It's been a while since I was a young professional living there. I guess it depends on you idea of "fun". When I lived there (circa 2004), there wasn't much to do for single in town outside of pubs. It's a suburban town so there are a lot of nice places geared towards families (restaurants, zoo, ice skating arena). I mostly went into NYC b/c it was close to my job. There is now 1 NY styled club in town, Club 4sixty6.

-How does the parking work? do you need some sort of identifier: Most apartment complexes have their own parking with rules that are set by each individual property. There are no special permits to park on the street, however overnight parking is prohibited.

-What exactly is going on w that Thomas Edison "landmark"-looks very shady: To my understanding it's been closed for renovations. Don't know why it's "shady", but it has been a while since I've been on that part of Main St.

Old 08-28-2013, 05:12 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,086,618 times
The Thomas Edison factory is eventually going to be converted into "luxury" apartments. Construction was supposed to start back in the spring but the last I heard the developer was having trouble getting financing. I know what you mean by "shady". The developer let the area go so now it's all overgrown and a big mess.

As others have mentioned, WO is a suburban town geared towards families. There is no real bar "scene" but there are a few scattered about Main St. A new one is scheduled to open next month called Oak Barrel near the intersection of Main St. and Harrison Ave. If you're looking for something more trendy head over to Montclair.

As for parking, we need more info on where you live. Street parking is not allowed overnights (2am-5am) so if you leave your car in a public street overnight you will likely get a ticket.

Old 08-28-2013, 05:14 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,437,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Elle View Post
So, in a rush of non-rational behavior and very crunched timeline, I have moved to West Orange, NJ. By day, it is bustling and there are many people walking around, by night...It feels a bit...Different. Now that rational thought has settled in, I know I must be situated close to the border of Orange.

Need the folks who know to help me with a couple of facts:

-what exactly is going on w that Thomas Edison "landmark"-looks very shady.
-what do young professional people do around here for fun (excluding "go to New York")
-how does the parking work? do you need some sort of identifier?
-worst case scenario...Are there any nice apts in West Orange? The town is close to work, but if this doesn't work out, I can move. For now, I prefer to try it out.

All feelings of, "Oh, crap. I just moved to a VERY shady neighboorhood.", aside, I'm trying to focus on finding positives in my new area. Help me out, North Jersey people!

As far as finding "nightlife" many go to Morristown, which has a thriving walkable downtown with shops, restaurants, clubs, etc. Safe too.

Be careful when visiting/shopping at the Essex Green shopping center in WO, (where the Shop Rite is located) they have been having quite a bit of trouble there as of late. (several car jackings - in the daytime!- as well as car thefts, and muggings.) The shopping center where Whole Foods is located is not much better.

KoalaNJ

Old 08-28-2013, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoalaNJ View Post
As far as finding "nightlife" many go to Morristown, which has a thriving walkable downtown with shops, restaurants, clubs, etc. Safe too.

Be careful when visiting/shopping at the Essex Green shopping center in WO, (where the Shop Rite is located) they have been having quite a bit of trouble there as of late. (several car jackings - in the daytime!- as well as car thefts, and muggings.) The shopping center where Whole Foods is located is not much better.

KoalaNJ
While I don't live in town anymore, I'm at Essex Green and K-Mart occasionally and my mom & grandma goes there all the time to shop. None of us have ever felt threatened in the 20+ years going to either location. I'm not saying the car jacking & mugging info presented is overblown, just not to the degree other malls in N. Jersey would experience (Short Hills, Garden State, etc.).

Last edited by NJTrendsetter3000; 08-28-2013 at 06:27 PM..

Old 08-28-2013, 06:19 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,086,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJTrendsetter3000 View Post
While I don't live in town anymore, I'm at Essex Green and K-Mart occasionally and my mom & grandma goes there all the time to shop. None of us have ever felt threatened at in the 20+ years going to either locations. I'm not saying the car jacking & mugging info presented is overblown, just not to the degree other malls in N. Jersey would experience (Short Hills, Garden State, etc.).
I live in WO and go to Essex Green and K-Mart at least 3-4 times per week, and I too have never felt unsafe there. While there have been a few isolated incidents, it doesn't need to be blown out of proportion. I don't know what Koala's beef is but they seem to like reminding everyone of these incidents almost every day on this forum, and I'm sure they don't even live in town. There is a ton of crime at Livingston mall yet somehow that doesn't deter people from moving there.

Old 08-28-2013, 06:32 PM

131 posts, read 273,170 times
I go to the Whole Foods in WO maybe once a week and I've never had any problems. Been to the Livingston Mall a few times too with no problems. I agree that Montclair and Morristown might be good places to hang out at night for a single/young person.

Old 08-28-2013, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjanet View Post
I go to the Whole Foods in WO maybe once a week and I've never had any problems. Been to the Livingston Mall a few times too with no problems. I agree that Montclair and Morristown might be good places to hang out at night for a single/young person.
As a former W. Orange guy, I hate to admit Bloomfield Ave in Montclair is a much better place to hang out if you're a young professional, especially in the summer along Church St.

I haven't been to Morristown in over a decade, but I always hear great things about the new (at least new to me) establishments around Morristown Green.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey