U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 08:54 PM

11,882 posts, read 12,042,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Gateway is having a tunnel box built under the LIRR's West Side Yard in order to preserve the right of way. I believe some engineering work has been funded, but nothing major yet. I wouldn't look for dirt moving to begin before 2018 at the earliest unfortunately.
I think the project will start by 2016 and gain full momumtem by 2018. But it will probably not be completed till the end of 2023. The hunter interlocking should be completed before the tunnels are finished. By 2019 I feel that hunter interlocking flyover will be built. If electrification work occurs along the RVL simultaneously, then we should have electrified service from raritan to Newark by 2020 and to NYC by 2024.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 09:35 AM

512 posts, read 897,016 times
The Glassboro line has an EIS out for light rail to camden (like riverline) cost is $800 million. Your proposal would not work because of the massive half circle around center city philly.

The Gateway tunnel is an amtrak project that will help amtrak alot more than NJT. NJT had their chance for their own tunnel but Christie screwed them.

There is no money in the budget for building anything you suggest. The Hunter flyover is in design and would cost hundreds of millions. So would electrifying the RVL which no one at NJT is seriously considering. The dual modes are their answer to the electric issues.

Its sorta sad that Phillipsburg, West Trenton, Cape May, Wildwood, and Ocean City service existed as recently as 1980.

Old 09-12-2013, 05:30 AM

10,594 posts, read 11,313,847 times
Default Ridership levels west of Raritan

The ridership levels at the 5 stations that were added west of Raritan station are extremely low, among the least used stretch of stations on the entire system.

The combined loading numbers of all 5 stations is less than half that of the Raritan Station.
1) North Branch
2) White House
3) Lebanon
4) Annandale
5) High Bridge

At the same time the cost of extending to Phillipsburg is higher than reactivating the West Trenton line (partly because the track has been torn up by Interstate 78.

Given the extremely low ridership that exists, I must assume the line was extended west of Raritan partly because it did not require much capital investment. I would assume future growth (if there ever is) will go towards Trenton rather than towards P-burg.

Old 09-12-2013, 05:54 AM

108 posts, read 127,093 times
That North Brunswick train station is going to be great. I wish it was there when I lived in colony oaks ....I hated having to drive to new brunswick....I agree with poster about branches being more important. Phillipsburg is a dump my brother lives there, those people go to their citys, not really looking to ride to ny. I'm sure there would be some but not worth 650 million of taxpayers money. That's a lot of money to provide p.a residents a ride to n.j...that's just more people living out of state for cheap and taking our jobs.....that is what needs to stop not be helped.

Old 09-12-2013, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlindin View Post
That North Brunswick train station is going to be great. I wish it was there when I lived in colony oaks ....I hated having to drive to new brunswick....I agree with poster about branches being more important. Phillipsburg is a dump my brother lives there, those people go to their citys, not really looking to ride to ny. I'm sure there would be some but not worth 650 million of taxpayers money. That's a lot of money to provide p.a residents a ride to n.j...that's just more people living out of state for cheap and taking our jobs.....that is what needs to stop not be helped.
I am mostly focused on the electrification till Raritan as opposed to the Phillipsburg extension. Earlier in this thread, I posted my plan for the west Trenton line. If the RVL is electrified till Raritan and the West Trenton line is electrified from Bound Brook to meet up with the septa line near Ewing, then we have an alternative backup for the NEC and a successful commuter rail line. This is the reason I want to electrify the RVL till Raritan. I have posted an updated version of the West Trenton line branch below.

Click image for larger version

Name:	NJT West Trenton line.png
Views:	1614
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	117913

Old 09-13-2013, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
The ridership levels at the 5 stations that were added west of Raritan station are extremely low, among the least used stretch of stations on the entire system.

The combined loading numbers of all 5 stations is less than half that of the Raritan Station.
1) North Branch
2) White House
3) Lebanon
4) Annandale
5) High Bridge

At the same time the cost of extending to Phillipsburg is higher than reactivating the West Trenton line (partly because the track has been torn up by Interstate 78.

Given the extremely low ridership that exists, I must assume the line was extended west of Raritan partly because it did not require much capital investment. I would assume future growth (if there ever is) will go towards Trenton rather than towards P-burg.
Please look at the map carefully. The rail line to Phillipsburg still exists along the Route I planned. It seems to be in pretty good condition also. I am making use of the Norfolk southern freight line, not the old CNJ Railroad line. Using the Existing NS line will help us run services to Phillipsburg without experiencing torn up or bad quality track. Most of the cost here is to purchase ROW from high bridge to Phillipsburg, which is around 17 miles, and building the 3 train stations between High bridge and Phillipsburg.

The cost to purchase ROW from west Trenton to Bound Brook would be more since it's around 27 miles. In addition, 5 stations need to be added from Bound Brook to West Trenton thereby further increasing costs when compared to the RVL Extension. However, I would still give more preference to this line since it passes through regions of high growth, which is essential to garner the required level of ridership. See my earlier post to access my plan for the West Trenton Line. This post is for all Central Jersey lines which Revolve around the Current RVL, and the South Jersey Main Line from Philly.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:50 AM

1,167 posts, read 1,683,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Please look at the map carefully. The rail line to Phillipsburg still exists along the Route I planned. It seems to be in pretty good condition also. I am making use of the Norfolk southern freight line, not the old CNJ Railroad line. Using the Existing NS line will help us run services to Phillipsburg without experiencing torn up or bad quality track. Most of the cost here is to purchase ROW from high bridge to Phillipsburg, which is around 17 miles, and building the 3 train stations between High bridge and Phillipsburg.
So you're talking about using the Norfolk Southern Lehigh Line? You mean their main freight line to/from the port of NY/NJ? I don't think they're going to let NJ Transit on it, and they're certainly not going to sell it.

Old 09-13-2013, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post
So you're talking about using the Norfolk Southern Lehigh Line? You mean their main freight line to/from the port of NY/NJ? I don't think they're going to let NJ Transit on it, and they're certainly not going to sell it.
Well, there are 2 parallel line near Phillipsburg. One runs north of I78 from Bloomsbury till Annandale and the other runs south. The one running south of I 78 is the major freight line called the Port Reading Line, while the one running north is the Raritan valley line. I am using the northern branch to facilitate travel of NJ transit trains, not the southern branch. Problem is encountered at the point they both meet near Alpha, NJ, but my plan is to double track the segment from that point in Alpha to Phillipsburg. I realized the cost estimate was a little low and should be pushed up to $ 710 million instead.

But the phillipsburg portion is not my first priority as I mentioned Earlier. Electrification till raritan is.

Old 09-14-2013, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinsj View Post
The Glassboro line has an EIS out for light rail to camden (like riverline) cost is $800 million. Your proposal would not work because of the massive half circle around center city philly.

The Gateway tunnel is an amtrak project that will help amtrak alot more than NJT. NJT had their chance for their own tunnel but Christie screwed them.

There is no money in the budget for building anything you suggest. The Hunter flyover is in design and would cost hundreds of millions. So would electrifying the RVL which no one at NJT is seriously considering. The dual modes are their answer to the electric issues.

Its sorta sad that Phillipsburg, West Trenton, Cape May, Wildwood, and Ocean City service existed as recently as 1980.
I could see the West Trenton line becoming a real possibility in the near future (Around 2020).

A NJ transit BRT Service between Atlantic City Bus station and Ocean City would be successful since both locations are close by and the route through Ventor city and Margate passes through densely populated areas which would support adequate ridership. A BRT line along Atlantic Avenue with a bridge to ocean city could do the trick. I will try to propose a plan for this.

Old 09-15-2013, 12:15 AM

3,861 posts, read 8,068,030 times
I wonder how much it would help if, during rush hour, some RVL trains went into Hoboken. Probably not much, since it doesn't really help getting into NYC, but still...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey