Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2013, 09:19 AM

7 posts, read 37,923 times

Advertisements

I'm buying a house that disclosed having had radon gas in 1994, when the sellers first purchased the home. Is this something to be very concerned about? The have a mitigation system installed.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2013, 10:04 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,672,468 times
You should have the house tested and make the house passing the test one of your contingencies. I'm sure your real estate agent is familiar with the process. If the house passes the test there is nothing to worry about. If the house fails the test, the mitigation system may need to be updated/repaired so that the levels are reduced to the recommended limits. This will generally be paid for by the seller.

In general, the health risks from radon are incredibly low for non-smokers and are not something I would be overly concerned about unless the levels were insanely high and could not be controlled with a mitigation system.

Old 09-12-2013, 10:12 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,664,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
You should have the house tested and make the house passing the test one of your contingencies. I'm sure your real estate agent is familiar with the process. If the house passes the test there is nothing to worry about. If the house fails the test, the mitigation system may need to be updated/repaired so that the levels are reduced to the recommended limits. This will generally be paid for by the seller.

In general, the health risks from radon are incredibly low for non-smokers and are not something I would be overly concerned about unless the levels were insanely high and could not be controlled with a mitigation system.
Also, you'd have to have incredibly high levels and spend the majority of your time living in the basement chain smoking unfiltered camels to see any health implications. That said Radon remediation is fairly inexpensive and painless. They find the underground vein(pocket of radon gas), drill down to it and install a pipe and fan to vent it out. Get an estimate but you are typically talking $1000-$3000 not $10's of thousands even for new installation. If it's properly installed you should have the system checked and there is absolutely nothing to worry about.

Old 09-12-2013, 10:16 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,672,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
Also, you'd have to have incredibly high levels and spend the majority of your time living in the basement chain smoking smoking unfiltered camels to see any health implications. That said Radon remediation is fairly inexpensive and painless. They find the underground vein(pocket of radon gas), drill down to it and install a pipe and fan to vent it out. Get an estimate but you are typically talking $1000-$3000 not $10's of thousands(this should absolutely be credited by the existing homeowner, unless they said upfront remediation was factored into the asking price)
Having recently gone through a lengthy "radon argument" in the South Jersey subforum (see: Ilkem granite thread) where I championed what you are pointing out; I chose to err on the side of restraint and just point out it's not something to lose sleep over...unless of course the house is built on top of a uranium mine and you do in fact chain smoke unfiltered Camels in your basement 18 hours a day...lol.

Old 09-12-2013, 10:18 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,856,876 times
Radon is a standard test usually included in your home inspection. you could always use your inspection clause to get out of the purchase, if radon is still an issue and you and/or the buyer doesn't want to properly deal with it.

Old 09-12-2013, 10:24 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,664,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Having recently gone through a lengthy "radon argument" in the South Jersey subforum (see: Ilkem granite thread) where I championed what you are pointing out; I chose to err on the side of restraint and just point out it's not something to lose sleep over...unless of course the house is built on top of a uranium mine and you do in fact chain smoke unfiltered Camels in your basement 18 hours a day...lol.
lol. Having a parent who pretty much ran the Department of Epidemiology for the State Health Department has given me a somewhat behind the curtain view and made me pretty numb to a lot of the nonsense out there regarding radon, asbestos, and other pollutants as they pertain to health. While there is plenty of evidence to support some vigilance the kind of reactions that people have when hearing these terms is for the most part completely unwarranted and brought on by government regulations that are largely politically($) motivated and sensationalist media reporting.

Old 09-12-2013, 10:24 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,974,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
Radon is a standard test usually included in your home inspection. you could always use your inspection clause to get out of the purchase, if radon is still an issue and you and/or the buyer doesn't want to properly deal with it.
Buyers who "just don't want to deal with it" could have a very hard time finding a home in New Jersey. There is a lot of radon in many areas due to geology. In Hunterdon County at least, the telltale PVC pipes running up the sides of houses are an extremely common sight.

Old 09-12-2013, 10:34 AM

56 posts, read 113,108 times
Whatever concerns you have will be the same concerns your potential buyers will have when you try to sell the house.

Old 09-12-2013, 02:03 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,397,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
lol. Having a parent who pretty much ran the Department of Epidemiology for the State Health Department has given me a somewhat behind the curtain view and made me pretty numb to a lot of the nonsense out there regarding radon, asbestos, and other pollutants as they pertain to health. While there is plenty of evidence to support some vigilance the kind of reactions that people have when hearing these terms is for the most part completely unwarranted and brought on by government regulations that are largely politically($) motivated and sensationalist media reporting.
this is a great post. it's one thing to work in a factory for 20 years with asbestos being inhaled 5 days a week, and it's another thing to have asbestos in your house. people make such a big deal about it. my realtor shrugged when the home inspector pointed out the basement ceiling plaster had asbestos in it and the inspector said "as long as you don't touch it, it's nothing to worry about", and the realtor said "i tore this stuff out of my basement myself, what's the big deal?". and the realtor has a good point. it's not like you're inhaling it all in.

the radon isn't a concern for me. heck...their tons of toxins in the air in our homes, it's probably the least of our worries. especially if their is a remediation system installed.

Old 09-12-2013, 02:06 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,034,939 times
Radon is easily mitigated and is no longer a big concern in the market. Sellers almost always deal with the issue and upon retest, the readings are nearly always close to zero. So no issue at all. Do your test, mitigate as necessary, and enjoy the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: