Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 12:33 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,879,576 times

Advertisements

Well played. I like you.

Edit: This was supposed to quote CaptainNJ's first post on this thread - the image of the Jersey Strong sticker but it didn't work. I am just messing up here right now.

Last edited by JerseyGirl415; 09-25-2013 at 12:49 AM..

Old 09-25-2013, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerpotFlowers View Post
Yeah, but didn't it seem like people were overreacting to this little girl? I mean, some of the others were from out of state too and were more promiscuous and stuff. She was just like this little tanned joker and the grave solemn outrage shown by some of her interviewers on tv just seemed a little...overly dramatic/offended. It just seems like some people are a little too prideful and insecure at the same time? It was just my impression. I just got turned off.
No. She came into this state from New York, visited Seaside Heights (which was improving before the show started) with her cast mates (also mostly from New YorK) for a TV show that was trying to internationally represent New Jersey and our shore. Their behavior was disgusting, young or not, the slogans they created to represent themselves and NJ were ridiculous, and the attention they garnered even more so. So to summarize it, we have a bunch of hooligans from New York City and state running around our shore towns with cameras following them, claiming to be Italian when half of them probably wouldn't know Italy if it slapped them in the face, getting drunk on international TV and effectively misrepresenting NJ for the whole world to see.

And you think people in NJ shouldn't be a bit annoyed?

I honestly didn't mind the show. I watched it occasionally, thought it was funny overall, I just wish the message was a little more clear. These people are not from here, nor do they represent us or any ethnic group, nor is our entire shore or state like these people representing us who aren't even from our state. Get it?

Sorry if NJ people's reaction to Jersey Shore and Snooki and whatever was annoying or ridiculous to you, but for a state that is severely misrepresented to begin with, and often downright hated for no good reason nationally, this show and its fame didn't exactly help us out.

On topic, "Jersey Strong" is a slogan that has existed before Sandy. I think the bumper stickers were handed out by a gym or something. I'll (proudly) admit I had one on my car a good 2 years before Sandy before it faded, rather quickly I might add, and I had to remove it because it looked like sh*t. Now I have a restore the shore magnet on my car. What's wrong with state pride? Other states exhibit it. Texas, California, New York - people are all proud to come from there. And every other state. Conveniently, Jersey Strong was also a good slogan after Sandy and that destruction. It turned into "Stronger than the Storm", a message I always liked. But hey, maybe I'm just annoying.

Last edited by JerseyGirl415; 09-25-2013 at 12:56 AM..

Old 09-25-2013, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
im pretty sure I saw those work out world "jersey strong" stickers long before sandy.

I also have a feeling "blank strong" has been used for many places in the past.
Long Island's slogan after Sandy became "Strong Island" for many locals. Is that annoying, too, or only when we do it? The jury's out…

Old 09-25-2013, 06:54 AM

13,366 posts, read 28,595,460 times
No Jersey people are not annoying!! What's annoying are questions like this which to me is just pot stirring!

Old 09-25-2013, 08:15 AM

221 posts, read 377,846 times
Default Defending that sticker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docendo discimus View Post
Exactly.

Boston Strong (after the marathon bombing).

I guess it's only a sticker, but I wish it would stop. If it spreads, I'm afraid I'll just assume the other states are full of the type of people I don't like in NJ also.

Old 09-25-2013, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docendo discimus View Post

Right, because it is only "NJ Italian people" hating on Snooki. Are you kidding? She is a joke on a national level, with everyone from South Park to SNL making fun of that alcoholic Bumpit-head Oompa Loompa. She is popular because everybody loves a train wreck (see: Tan Mom).

Snooki, is that you?

Snooki's my cousin. Just kidding. I don't particularly like her, but who I dislike more are all of the NJ people who took her 'way too seriously'. I mean, some of her television interviewers acted like she kicked the Pope in the balls and gave him the finger. It just reeked of some kind of insecurity in my opinion...especially since the 'real guidos' on the show were getting drunk and sleeping with hookers every night. It just reminds me of a lot of people who are blind to themselves and think their poo doesn't smell.

Ok, I get the sticker thing...but considering many types of people in NJ...I can see how it can come across as GFY--funny the person who wrote this knew to use this exact term.

Old 09-25-2013, 08:30 AM

Quote:
I guess it's only a sticker, but I wish it would stop. If it spreads, I'm afraid I'll just assume the other states are full of the type of people I don't like in NJ also.

Old 09-25-2013, 08:31 AM

1,787 posts, read 5,725,921 times
Quote:
There is no guessing. It is a sticker. But to the person that puts it on his vehicle, that sticker shows he supports his state. If that's what it takes for you to "assume the other states are full of the type of people I don't like in NJ," maybe you need help.

Old 09-25-2013, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh5 View Post
There is no guessing. It is a sticker. But to the person that puts it on his vehicle, that sticker shows he supports his state. If that's what it takes for you to "assume the other states are full of the type of people I don't like in NJ," maybe you need help.

I'm sorry if you all have this sticker on your car..please don't remove it on my behalf.

I should stop using forums to complain. I just have no other outlet. I'm sorry.

Last edited by FlowerpotFlowers; 09-25-2013 at 08:48 AM..

Old 09-25-2013, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh5 View Post
+1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey