Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 09:28 PM

22 posts, read 120,910 times

Advertisements

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

I have been offered a job in NJ with a 52k salary and with a 2k relocation bonus. I am 24/m and will be commuting to Millburn, NJ for my job. Is this amount enough to live comfortably in Hoboken with these assumptions:

Live with roommates in an apartment close to PATH and Hoboken train station (5-10 min walk).

Apartment with A/C, heat, washer/dryer in unit or building, dishwasher (although not necessary)

Occasionally go out on weekdays(once every 2 weeks), mostly on Fri/Sat
Moderate drinker

Rent up to $1200 with utilities (including cable, internet, etc)

How will my expenses look? How much can I reasonably save per month?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2007, 10:47 PM

562 posts, read 2,614,738 times
damn with 52k.. it's pretty tight but you only live once.. so go for it, you probably want to try something new... in regards to saving.. probably is not going to happen.. I'm making about 100k and i can't save, lol.. btw 30/m .. I remeber when I moved out to NYC for 4 years, i was making about 55k.. did not save a penny but have some wonderful memories and lots of experiences.. ;-P

Old 11-17-2007, 06:54 AM

687 posts, read 3,250,762 times
Quote:
I have been offered a job in NJ with a 52k salary and with a 2k relocation bonus. I am 24/m and will be commuting to Millburn, NJ for my job. Is this amount enough to live comfortably in Hoboken with these assumptions:

Live with roommates in an apartment close to PATH and Hoboken train station (5-10 min walk).

Apartment with A/C, heat, washer/dryer in unit or building, dishwasher (although not necessary)

Occasionally go out on weekdays(once every 2 weeks), mostly on Fri/Sat
Moderate drinker

Rent up to $1200 with utilities (including cable, internet, etc)

How will my expenses look? How much can I reasonably save per month?
You can do it, mainly because you're willing to have a roommate. That said, I doubt you'll be able to save much, but savings obviously can really add up over time.

Old 11-17-2007, 07:30 AM

2,179 posts, read 6,715,362 times
It's doable if you're willing to have 2-3 roommates splitting a 2 bed with one of you setting up camp in the living room. The closer you get to the PATH the more expensive it gets (if you aren't working in the city, it's better to live deeper in town and pay the 5 dollar cab ride to the station). Uptown is cheaper than downtown, only own a car if you are willing to pay 200+/month for parking, all streets are safe except Jackson.

I wouldn't worry about washers and dryers, as a lot of people use wash and fold services where they deliver your laundry for you. Plan to spend about $50 if you go out on the weeknight, much more on Friday and Saturday nights. Be prepared to deal with a bunch of ex-frat boy tough guys on the weekend nights. Good luck!

Old 11-17-2007, 11:53 AM

The funny thing is that I am an ex-frat boy, but I went an academically oriented school so for the most part, most frat guys at my school probably still don't fit the typical frat boy stereotype.

So with my salary, what should I be looking to spend on a room?

Old 11-17-2007, 12:05 PM

Quote:
So with my salary, what should I be looking to spend on a room?
I'd say $1000, assuming you have one roommate. I think you can still get a 2 BR in Hoboken for $2000, though maybe not as close to the PATH as you'd like or in a lux building. I'm sure HobokenGuy can confirm either way.

Old 11-17-2007, 01:07 PM

Is this $1000 with utilities?

How much should utilities cost?

Old 11-17-2007, 02:14 PM

2,179 posts, read 6,715,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMike View Post
Is this $1000 with utilities?

How much should utilities cost?
Utilities will depend on your building. I live at 333 River and nothing is included, but I know a lot of the smaller brownstone and town houses have heat inclusive. I spend about 45/month for heat in the winter (high floor so all the heat rises and I don't have to use mine much), and in the summer about 150 for A/C. My ex lives on Garden and her heat and cable are included, so basically it's all depending on the landlord.

You will be using Cablevision and for the Triple Play (cable, internet, and phone) it will run 130ish depending on what you choose. Anything else, let me know.

Old 11-17-2007, 02:35 PM

5 posts, read 34,538 times
I will also be going to that area (Jersey City) to work and this info has helped me some. Although I was told to stay North of Jersey City.

Old 11-17-2007, 04:35 PM

I meant $1000 without--HobokenGuy answered your utilities question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey