Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 12:05 PM

7 posts, read 11,931 times

Advertisements

I am new to NYC and need your inputs on the best way to commute between MetroTech Brooklyn and Woodbridge Township, NJ on daily basis:

1. Take NE Corridor/NJ Coast Line to NYC Penn Station and then take a subway from 34th St.

2. Take NE Corridor/NJ Coast Line to Newark Penn Station, then take PATH to Wall St and take a subway at Chambers St.

or is there any better route?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 12:20 PM

1,037 posts, read 3,162,472 times
Wow, I don't envy your commute.

Old 09-24-2013, 12:30 PM

696 posts, read 906,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sot253 View Post
I am new to NYC and need your inputs on the best way to commute between MetroTech Brooklyn and Woodbridge Township, NJ on daily basis:

1. Take NE Corridor/NJ Coast Line to NYC Penn Station and then take a subway from 34th St.

2. Take NE Corridor/NJ Coast Line to Newark Penn Station, then take PATH to Wall St and take a subway at Chambers St.

Option 1 is "better". You will have one less connection (PATH), which is the least reliable of the three. Also, it is several blocks from the WTC PATH to Chambers Street which is not a pleasant walk in the winter in the wind tunnel that is Lower Manhattan. That is a horrible commute; are you working for one of the banks (Morgan Stanley, JPM Chase) in the area? If so, they can be flexible about berthing you elsewhere or working from home.

Old 09-24-2013, 02:23 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,249,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sot253 View Post

#1 is better choice. Less transfer the better for long distance mass transportation commute (less failure points) and also less monthly cost. If you do option 2, you will need monthly Path as well which will add 80 bucks (Path cost is going up for monthly).

And no, there isn't a better route via mass transportation I can think of.

On side note, the commute will suck horribly eitherway. It will suck the life out of you. I hope the job opportunity is worth the commute for you.

As for Path being least reliable. That's wrong. I lived in NY metro area all of my adult life and grew up here, Path is not the least reliable. With all of current track work MTA does plus some serious major construction MTA have to do. You'll experience more MTA issues (track delays, switches, transfers, etc.) than Path. Can't help it, MTA is much older and much bigger network than Path.

Old 09-24-2013, 03:31 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,851,625 times
I did that commute for many years when my late Mom was in a nursing home in Brooklyn. I wasn't doing it everyday, and even so it was an exhausting commute. I would feel like a zombie the next day.

Your option # 1 is the least awful. But, I wouldn't recommend that commute as an every day, five times a week trip. It will wear you down.

Old 09-24-2013, 03:59 PM

1,212 posts, read 2,252,874 times
Can you drive?

Old 09-24-2013, 06:27 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
Id recommend the goethels.

Old 09-24-2013, 07:17 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,210,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
Id recommend the goethels.
#1 is better of the train commutes (one less transfer) but driving might actually be the better answer here, if you can afford the tolls and parking. I'd think Outerbridge rather than Goethals, but I'm not up on the current traffic situation. It's the Verrazano that will kill you anyway.

Old 09-24-2013, 07:20 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
#1 is better of the train commutes (one less transfer) but driving might actually be the better answer here, if you can afford the tolls and parking. I'd think Outerbridge rather than Goethals, but I'm not up on the current traffic situation. It's the Verrazano that will kill you anyway.
I take the obx in the morning and the goethels in the evening. but I don't generally consider them to be very different. I just feel less likely to get stuck on the tpk than going through staten island and evening is more volume than morning.

and you are right; the worst part of that commute is in the vzb territory. when it comes to this guys commute, I would be concerned about how the drive is from the vzb to metrotech, that's not where I work and it could be bad. but I would definitely consider it. the tolls are very expensive.

Old 10-11-2015, 01:00 PM

1 posts, read 2,803 times
What is the easiest way to commute to Brooklyn from
Newark Penn Station?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey