Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 12:09 PM

10,482 posts, read 6,999,249 times

Advertisements

The area around East Hanover is very nice. Some other towns not listed yet that are family friendly towns are East Hanover itself, Caldwell, Roseland, Livingston, Summit, Short Hills, Mendhem, Morris Plains, Madison, Denville and even the towns in Western Morris are pretty good (except Dover).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2013, 07:28 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,146,620 times
East Hanover is a "strip mall" town with no real town center, so it never really appealed to me. The traffic on route 10 is horrible, especially on weekends with all the shoppers.

Old 10-19-2013, 07:14 AM

554 posts, read 1,154,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
The area around East Hanover is very nice. Some other towns not listed yet that are family friendly towns are East Hanover itself, Caldwell, Roseland, Livingston, Summit, Short Hills, Mendhem, Morris Plains, Madison, Denville and even the towns in Western Morris are pretty good (except Dover).
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
East Hanover is a "strip mall" town with no real town center, so it never really appealed to me. The traffic on route 10 is horrible, especially on weekends with all the shoppers.

Thanks for these mentions! East Hanover sounds pretty miserable with traffic and shopping. I detest shopping, lol. I don't mind driving a bit for that, since I plan my trips in advance and only get what I need.

Right now we are in suburbia, no question. Nothing is within walking distance (although we do have walkable access to a playground and greenway trails, which is really nice) and we need a car to get anywhere. What I like about it is that it is safe to let the kids go out after dinner, hang in the yard, or ride bikes in the culdesac with only minimal supervision. A small town with a busier/walkable feel is also appealing though. What we don't want is a house on a busy road with no option to be outside safely or to meet neighbors. It seems that many of the houses that look more "affordable" at first glance are exactly this, on an undesirable corner or busy road. It will definitely take some patience to find the right place, if this relocation happens. At least we have a general idea of what we can afford and the areas to look at. Thanks!

Old 10-19-2013, 09:12 AM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltige View Post
Thanks for these mentions! East Hanover sounds pretty miserable with traffic and shopping. I detest shopping, lol. I don't mind driving a bit for that, since I plan my trips in advance and only get what I need.
East Hanover is much bigger than the Route 10 corridor, which is what everyone is talking about. The rest of it is all suburbia but it's not like everyone there lives between a 7-11 and a walmart.

Here's a spot in East Hanover which isn't like Route 10:
http://goo.gl/maps/4s6TY

Old 10-19-2013, 07:13 PM

385 posts, read 1,175,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltige View Post

Right now we are in suburbia, no question. Nothing is within walking distance (although we do have walkable access to a playground and greenway trails, which is really nice) and we need a car to get anywhere. What I like about it is that it is safe to let the kids go out after dinner, hang in the yard, or ride bikes in the culdesac with only minimal supervision. A small town with a busier/walkable feel is also appealing though. What we don't want is a house on a busy road with no option to be outside safely or to meet neighbors. It seems that many of the houses that look more "affordable" at first glance are exactly this, on an undesirable corner or busy road. It will definitely take some patience to find the right place, if this relocation happens. At least we have a general idea of what we can afford and the areas to look at. Thanks!
i agree with nybbler, east hanover is not just what's on route 10, which is most of the chain stores of the region (costco, target, home depot, but no supermarket besides kam man). east hanover actually has a small downtown on ridgedale, parks, trails, libraries, and residential areas, route 10 is the southern part of town.

Old 10-19-2013, 08:39 PM

200 posts, read 555,105 times
Basking Ridge, Bernardsville, Mendham, Madison, Chatham all are great towns with walkable down towns, safe and good schools. Not too far of a commute either.
Your budget for these areas is tight, but not impossible. I just saw a 3 bed rental in Basking Ridge listed for $2800. Its in Spring Ridge which is a great development, walking neighborhood, use of pool, playground, tennis etc. MLS # 3086993
Again, for a purchase, $400,000 is tight for a 3+ bedroom home in these towns. Not impossible, but you would need an imagination as the home may be on the smaller side, such as a ranch or cape cod and may be in need of updating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey